RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 04:31:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Castlevania: Bloodlines - Retro Playthrough - October 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Castlevania: Bloodlines - Retro Playthrough - October 2015  (Read 19100 times)
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2015, 06:34:04 PM »

While it looks like the difficulty might jump slightly beyond where I've reached, Bloodlines has not been very difficult for me so far.  I usually stop due to time constraints rather than than the game shredding my confidence and laughing at my ruined hopes, a la Little Nemo. 

I mentioned how the game makes an immediate reference to the original NES Castlevania.  Thus, Castlevania is always on my mind as I play Bloodlines.  While I didn't find Castlevania controller-shatteringly difficult, Bloodlines is way more gentle a game.  It really struck me when I first encountered the infamous Medusa Heads near the end of Level 2 (I think).  Medusa Heads always confound me in Castlevania, and I resign myself to taking a few hits when they appear.  In Bloodlines, though, the Medusa Heads were few enough and slow enough not to pose much difficulty, even as I raced the screen in a scrolling level.

A more capable, easier to control character, larger sprites reducing enemy density, I wonder if these are at the root of the drop in difficulty.  Whatever the cause, Bloodlines lacks the "by the skin of the teeth" intensity of Castlevania.

Which isn't to say I'm not enjoying it.  Cruising through the game smashing its squishy, well-designed monsters (which look like the escaped Splatterhouse to join Dracula's forces) while listening to the funky Genesis-powered soundtrack has been remarkably fun.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2015, 11:23:31 PM »

I agree,  I feel like Bloodlines is easier than the other Castlevania games I've played.  I didn't have much trouble with the first 3 or 4 levels, but I felt like the difficulty spiked quite a bit on the last two stages.  Pretty much all of the bosses were less difficult than I would have expected also.  I also thought that the more fluid controls of Bloodlines may be a contributing factor.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2015, 12:13:51 PM »

Is this one similar to the original?  Which one do you guys like better?

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »

Is this one similar to the original?  Which one do you guys like better?

No, it's not similar to the original per se, though it plays as a similar type platformer with many of the same rules. I think what Ikariniku means is that in the beginning you get a throw back to the original game in terms of setting motif and atmosphere. Castlevania has always been really good about this and you see the same sort of return the original castle foyer (if you will) in Symphony of the Night and I believe also in Rondo of Blood/Dracula X.  

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2015, 12:29:22 AM »

Is this one similar to the original?  Which one do you guys like better?

I can't say which one I like more, but I've always considered the original Castlevania and Super Castlevania IV to be my favorites in the series.  After having played Bloodlines, I think I can place it alongside those two as being one of my favorites.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2015, 08:22:54 PM »

Looks like James and Mike decided to join in the playthrough:

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2015, 08:55:16 AM »

I want to apologize to the playthrough community for being slack about checking in this month.  My kids are playing Fall sports, and like a dumbass, I signed them up for 2 sports each....... We will never do this again (of course we will) and luckily we are in the home stretch and finishing up soon.

Honestly, I've been taking my time with Bloodlines this month and savoring the game.  That's not so much a purposeful decision on my part, but instead, by design, the game's design.  With early Castlevania games, I am use to unlimited continues and sure, you may have to begin an entire level again, but at least you are able to redundantly continue and get better and better with every attempt. I think Bloodlines is one of the first Castlevania games that I have played where the continues are limited. I understand that there is a password system in place for the game and that you get a new password at the end of every level, but it's just not the same. The password keeps up with where you are in the game, but also keeps track of how many lives and continues you have left, which can put you in a bit of a bind at times. Also, when you die completely, you have to go through the arduous process of re-entering the password. I wish they would have made it so that your previous password would have been auto-inputted like they do in some other games.

As a result of this design, what I have been doing is trying to run each stage without losing a life and then writing down the password. I think this is helping to make me better at this game and hopefully, once I finish my first playthrough, I can go back again and put together a continuous, solid run.

Last night, I polished off the German Ammunitions Factory.  It was kind of an odd stage and I felt that it was more out of place than any of the other stages I have played so far.  I understand that the point is to drive home the timeline of the game, but it seems ill-fitting. Thoughts?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2015, 09:39:19 AM »

No sweat banana, I love this line: We will never do this again (of course we will)

I haven't played since completing stage 2, plan to give it another crack tonight.  Get it?  A whip joke!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2015, 03:23:27 PM »

Polished it off last night. Sweet dreams Drac!

[img width=700 height=522]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/necrom99/Playthroughs/D1F15A05-5A48-4AAF-9E66-F04074400B1D_zpsixkv7tii.jpg[/img]

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2015, 08:34:42 AM »

i have been marking my passwords on weather I used a continue or not, so this way I can go back to the previous password and try again as to not to lose a continue and what not. Hoping this helps.

I have been tied up with heading over to Portland last weekend, so should be able to knock this out sometime this week.

Thats pretty cool that Portrait of Ruins is a sequel to this game.  Maybe they can release a Castlevania history book like Zelda to help us understand the timeline ha

Now your playing with power!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2015, 10:26:57 AM »

How's everyone fairing in this game?  We will be recording our segment of the podcast this week, so let us know if there is anything you want us to discuss.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »

@Russlyman: You can find the timeline here:

http://castlevania.wikia....wiki/Castlevania_Timeline

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2015, 07:40:43 AM »

I didn't think I would have time to play so I didn't sign up, but I gave the game a shot last night and beat it: (Normal Difficulty)

[img width=700 height=525]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/cisco678/RF/IMG_3016_zpsrcf4qhkf.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=525]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/cisco678/RF/IMG_3021_zpsggmizzku.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=525]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/cisco678/RF/IMG_3027_zpslqxsowqf.jpg[/img]

I might go back and try to beat the game as Eric. It's interesting that a game that gives you long range weapons requires you to get in close to avoid a lot of attacks..  Undecided The Elizabeth Bartley fight is the easiest boss fight in the game.

If anyone wants some passwords let me know...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:45:03 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2015, 07:50:23 AM »

Nice work Addicted!  Thank you for playing. We recorded our Playcast segment on Monday and I'm not sure if I included you in the participants or not.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2015, 07:53:11 AM »

I listened to an episode of the Retro Fandango podcast the other night, and one of the members was really talking trash about this game.  Honestly, I enjoyed it and thought it was pretty good. I think it veers away somewhat from the typical Castlevania platformer, but I still think it's well-done and one of the better games on the Genesis.  I can't quite understand the knock on it, but I guess to each their own.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length