RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:06:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Konami cancels Silent Hills game, P.T. demo to be removed from PS Store 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Konami cancels Silent Hills game, P.T. demo to be removed from PS Store  (Read 3991 times)
Necrosaro
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« on: April 29, 2015, 05:03:03 PM »

From Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/a...mi-confirms/1100-6426919/

Konami cancels an upcoming Silent Hills game, and the demo teaser, P.T., will be removed from the PS Store after today.

http://www.gamespot.com/a...hill-being-/1100-6426898/

And now it looks like Konami has delisted itself from the New York Stock Exchange as well:

http://www.gamespot.com/a...new-york-st/1100-6426924/

Thoughts on Konami's moves as of late? I can't say I'm surprised after Konami dumped Kojima recently, but this pretty much spells the end of Konami Digital Entertainment outside of Japan. I guess Konami sees more profit in the mobile and arcade markets, which are pretty much Japan-only.

Yet another company I loved from my childhood going by the wayside. I'm at a loss for words at this point.  :'(
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:05:06 PM by Necrosaro » Logged

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 05:07:53 PM »

Konami is really on a slippery slope lately....

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 05:16:37 PM »

Funny, as I refreshed the forum page I happened to be watching this video:

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 05:29:03 PM »

No more PES soccer stateside would be awesome. Other then those I couldnt name a Konami game I have played.

OK I looked at a list of Konami games for the 360. What a long list of complete junk. Outside of Metal Gear and Castlevania not much worth playing. Unless you only care about achievements.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 06:09:51 PM »

Konami delisting itself from the NYSE isn't a big deal. It's traded so little in the US that it's costing them more to be listed than it is to be delisted.
Cancelling Silent Hills is also not that unexpected. It would take a lot for a Silent Hill game right now to become popular, as the past couple were underwhelming, and the movie hype is no longer around.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 06:20:16 PM »

It's sad, but Konami has been withering for years in the console space. Mobile is where it's at in the Japanese market, so I expect them to go the way SEGA has. I think it would be wise to license their content to smaller indie developers to keep the brands relevant. I'm sure that some 2D games could do well enough, and by licensing they can remove the risk of development costs.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 07:20:31 PM »

Well poop

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 08:48:51 PM »

Funny, as I refreshed the forum page I happened to be watching this video:

Or if you want to get the story from someone who can articulate himself:

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 12:19:42 AM »

Nothing but bad news from Konami lately... Sad considering it has been a favourite company of mine for decades. Their iOS games are really lacking, so more focus in that sector doesn't help my confidence. It looks like at the end of the day everyone is going to jump on to mobile, with even Nintendo partnering with one of the more successful freemium companies out there.

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 07:44:57 AM »

Sadly, I look at Konami much like I did LucasArts.  I was greatly saddened until I stopped and took stock in what they had released in the last several years that I enjoyed, and realized what I was truly lamenting was the lack of excellent games since their best days many, many years ago.  I was missing the greats from long ago, not really any recent output. 

The cancelling of Silent Hills though, that's a blow.  Some collaborations are just too perfect to exist in the real world; the whole thing felt like a fever dream my imagination cooked up anyway. Tongue

Keelah se'lai
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »

Somewhat interesting piece from Nick Robinson on the Konami-induced scarcity of P.T.

http://www.polygon.com/20...reatest-games-of-all-time

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 08:25:30 PM »

There are definitely other instances of digital distribution games being fully removed from servers(it has caused me and other achievement people trouble) but I agree on the whole it is uncommon.

I've seen posts elsewhere telling people not to delete the game as it will likely increase the value of the console in the future.

kaysow
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 10:46:07 AM »

Konami just makes me sad every single day, sitting on all my favourite IPs not knowing what to do with any of them. Kojima took care of Metal Gear but now that franchise will probably wither away and die like Silent Hill, Castlevania & Suikoden.

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 11:48:12 AM »

To be fair, the recent Castlevania: Lords of Shadows games were really great in my opinion.

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 07:16:38 PM »

I heard about this quite a while ago and really disappointed me for several reasons:

1)From my experience with the PC version of Ground Zeroes, the Fox Engine looks and runs beautiful without the need for expensive hardware, the game looked amazing even at the mediumish settings I had to use to get 1080p/60FPS on my 750ti. I'd LOVE to see a horror game running on it.

2)Hideo Kojima is a MASTER at mindscrews and I can imagine he'd right at home working on a psychological-horror game like Silent Hill.

3)Del Toro is also great at surreal and strange settings if Hellboy and the bit of Pan's Labyrinth I've seen are any indication.  

It was just so sad to see a dream like this fall through the cracks because it was one of the very few Ps4/Xbone gen titles I was really looking forward to (along with MGSV, thank God that got finished and shoved out the door for a definite release before it hit the fan)  

There are definitely other instances of digital distribution games being fully removed from servers(it has caused me and other achievement people trouble) but I agree on the whole it is uncommon.

I've seen posts elsewhere telling people not to delete the game as it will likely increase the value of the console in the future.

I hear people are already trying to sell PS4s with it pre-installed for $1000+ on Ebay and such.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:18:11 PM by shoboni » Logged

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length