RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:36:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Need help finding out name/brand of old Sears Galaga Clone 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need help finding out name/brand of old Sears Galaga Clone  (Read 1571 times)
Talen
N-Gage

Stats
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:57:29 PM »

When I was a kid (probably around '87 or so), my Uncle gave me a large handheld galaga clone game, which I am now trying to find again.  I will give as much detail as I can so hopefull you all can help me identify it.

First off, he worked at Sears for 20 years, so it is likely a sears brand, or at least sold there.  It was big, about 10-12 inches long and maybe 3-4 inches thick.  The shape was rectangular, with a large screen in the middle and controls on each end, so two players could play.  The screen itself was green on black, LED maybe, certainly not color.  The system was grey in colour, with ridges along the edges, and took maybe 6 D or C batteries. 

Its been bugging me for a while that I don't even know what this is called to be able to track it down.  I know its hard to visualize, so I will try to build a 3d render of it to give more detail. 

Thanks.
Talen
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:49:41 PM »

Here is roughly what it looked like.  It was a really quick pic to get the point across.  This thing is bigger than it looks in the pic, like 12 inches long by 5 wide and 3 deep maybe.

Look familiar to anybody?

http://www.rfgeneration.c...ame%20Console%20Small.jpg

Edit:  Forgot to post the link....
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:54:58 PM by Talen » Logged
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:07:47 AM »

Sorry, can't help you there. Cool 3D render though.  Tongue Grin

Tell me about your variants...
Talen
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 01:20:51 AM »

Thanks...it bugs me that I know it didn't look quite like that, but I haven't seen it in maybe 15 years, so my memory is a little fuzzy.

Thanks for the reply though.
Tan
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 04:54:19 AM »

This one?

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Entex/Galaxian2.htm
Talen
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »

Yeah, I am pretty sure that is it.  A little different than I thought (the ridges were on the side and more irregular), but I was pretty close I guess.

I am very impressed, did you recognize from the description/render, or did you research and find it?

Thanks a lot for the help by the way, now to find one in good shape to add to my collection...
Tan
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »

Yeah, I am pretty sure that is it.  A little different than I thought (the ridges were on the side and more irregular), but I was pretty close I guess.

I am very impressed, did you recognize from the description/render, or did you research and find it?

Thanks a lot for the help by the way, now to find one in good shape to add to my collection...

That render gave me the impression it was early/mid 80's by design and the screen you mentioned sounded like a VFD, most games from that period used large batteries and had screens like that. Late 80's/90's were more streamlined using AA batteries and LCD screens. Also many people confuse Galaxian/Galaga but there aren't a whole lot of mainstream handhelds based on those two games either way.

I've used that site often and it's by far the best resource for handheld electronic games I've seen on the 'net. Glad I could help. Smiley
Talen
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 08:27:50 PM »

Thanks a lot for the help, thats been bugging me for a while.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length