RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:15:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Best Games On the Dreamcast 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Best Games On the Dreamcast  (Read 7199 times)
leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:31:49 PM »

Hi guys, I recently received an awesome Dreamcast from Zagnorch's NSSS giveaway, and as I have virtually no prior experience with this console, and I have every intention of building myself a library of games for it, I want to hear from you guys what some of the best Dreamcast titles are.
Also, what games are the best deals for a collector on a tight budget?
Thanks!

Have you played Atari today?

Sega does what Nintendon't.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" - Smash T.V.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:35:50 AM »

My faves for Dreamcast are: Bangai-o, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, and Power Stone.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 02:04:01 AM »

Sega Marine Fishing is pretty fun. Crazy Taxi games are fun as well. Dreamcast has lots of fun titles that are cheap to get

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 02:11:03 AM »

i don't know much about dreamcast either, but the achives sub-forum in video game generation has a whole slew of "list your favourites" topics for various systems. you should find some good recommendations here in the dreamcast topic Smiley
http://www.rfgeneration.c...um/index.php?topic=6539.0
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 08:53:22 AM »

Seaman This is basically the equivalent of Animal Crossing in terms of how often you play it (or need to play it) and for how long- the difference here is that there's an actual goal.

Sega Marine Fishing I imagine it's more engaging with the pole if you can find it, but I had a lot of fun with it. Probably the only fishing game I've ever liked. Snagging a coelacanth is one of the hardest things to ever do in a video game.

Sonic Adventure Pretty much doesn't need an explanation. It's Sonic. It's fun. Lots of replay value. The sequel is decent enough but I prefer the first.

Speed Devils Fun arcade/sim racer, lots of replay value, great looking levels, music.

WWF Attitude This was the best version of the game. The comentary by Jerry Lawler is hilarious and the character creation is a lot of fun. Great multiplayer game.

Crazy Taxi It's an arcade port but it's a hell of a game. Easy to learn, hard to master.

Blue Stinger Never got very far in it myself but I watched my mom play it a lot when I was a kid. Reminded me a lot of Resident Evil.

Shenmue I don't know if I still have the tolerance for the game that I used to or if it's just that I beat it, but my first play through, I was enthralled. The inclusion of Out Run, Space Harrier, and Hang On are worth it alone. Beautiful game but the pacing and controls leave a bit to be desired.

Tony Hawk 1 and 2 Best versions of the games are on the Dreamcast. One of the most beloved franchises of all time- too bad it went to crap when THUG came out.

Hydro Thunder
When this game came out, we were blown away by it. Another arcade port but man is this a fun game.

I don't know if you're into sports games but the Dreamcast had some of the best sports titles to ever come out on any system, mostly the 2K series. The only problem with those is that the save data takes up an entire memory card.

I still remember seeing commercials for the Dreamcast in 1999 and just couldn't believe what I was seeing. That was the first time I thought that a video game looked like real life.

Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 09:27:39 AM »

Dynamite Cop!

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 09:58:30 AM »

Dynamite Cop!

/thread

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »

Skies of Arcadia & Fatal Fury MOTW are some of my favorites that haven't been listed yet.

Also check out Gamesack's Dreamcast overview:

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »

I'd heard Shenmue was good. Seaman sounds intriguing, too. Are any of the games listed above very expensive, though?

Have you played Atari today?

Sega does what Nintendon't.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" - Smash T.V.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 01:51:14 PM »

@leej07: It depends upon what you consider expensive. You can get a general idea on pricing here:

http://videogames.pricech...ga-dreamcast?sort-by=name

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »

I'll second Bangai-O. Such a fun game

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »

I third Bangai-O.  Super fun game.

There are a ton of great fighting games on the platform, but I would recommend Tech Romancer.  Had a lot of fun with that one back in the day.  Hmm.  Not a lot of good RPG (or even many at all), but Skies of Arcadia is fun (though not really affordable on the platform) and Silver is very interesting.  Record of Lodoss Wars is a great Diablo-like game, though it is can get a lot of slowdown.  If you like Japan, Shenmue is good.  If you like third-person action-RPG games the Phantasy Star Online games are fun.

Another great addition hardware-wise would be a VGA converter box.  Most of the games will work on it (regardless of whether or not it lists it on the back of the box).  Hook it up and enjoy Dreamcast games in a cool 640x480.  They look really nice too if you do this with a projector.

Really, there are a ton of good games.  There are some real stinkers as well, but they are subjective (Blue Stinger, Carrier, and Illbleed fall into this category).  Oh!  Check out D2 as well if you can find it at a reasonable price.  Weird but fun.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 08:14:58 PM »

We need to start updating those old Favorites lists. Seeing them bumped occasionally will help people remember they exist.

Also no mention of cheaper goodies like Soul Calibur, Jet Grind Radio, and Chu Chu Rocket?

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 12:50:31 AM »

I agree with all the games gbpxl mentioned, the system also has some good shooters but none of them are that cheap.

Oh the rod for Sega Marine Fishing is so fun to use, and makes the game better. its relatively cheap to get.

ae.tc
Technician
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 04:23:01 AM »

few of these may be pricey-

code veronica, cosmic smash, f355 challenge, gauntlet legends, grandia ii, l.o.l., mr. driller, power smash, sega rally 2, sf iii 3rd strike, sturmwind ...

•• Sega Mega-Tech • SNK MVS • Sega Naomi 2 • Kaneko AX • Taito F3 ••
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length