RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:30:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Kids of Today Struggling with Super Metroid 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Kids of Today Struggling with Super Metroid  (Read 7331 times)
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 01:51:28 PM »

Yeah, you can argue this about anything really. I mean, I look up how to do all kinds of crap all the time. From tying a tie to cooking a steak. Does this mean I'm less intelligent than people who learned these things differently in a pre-internet era? I don't think so. If anything, our ability to find answers faster and easier should lead to the biggest jump in mankind's everyday functionality since the advent of the written word.

When shall his new form be revealed?
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »

I'm not saying that the internet hasn't revolutionized the way we do almost everything.  It has, and mostly for the better. 

I just think that discovery is a huge part of interactive entertainment and that being told the answer takes away the joy of figuring it out for yourself.  This most recently happened to me while playing Limbo.  I ended up getting stuck on a puzzle, tried for a bit, couldn't figure it out, and I looked up the answer.  I was immediately mad at myself for not seeing the solution and for robbing myself of the joy of discovering the secret to the puzzle.

I would not look up the solutions to any other puzzle in the game and whenever I recommended it to friends, I told them to solve each puzzle on their own.

Again, not making a judgement on anyone who decides to look something up, just an observation.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2013, 02:03:25 PM »

I'm not saying that the internet hasn't revolutionized the way we do almost everything.  It has, and mostly for the better. 

I just think that discovery is a huge part of interactive entertainment and that being told the answer takes away the joy of figuring it out for yourself.  This most recently happened to me while playing Limbo.  I ended up getting stuck on a puzzle, tried for a bit, couldn't figure it out, and I looked up the answer.  I was immediately mad at myself for not seeing the solution and for robbing myself of the joy of discovering the secret to the puzzle.

I would not look up the solutions to any other puzzle in the game and whenever I recommended it to friends, I told them to solve each puzzle on their own.

Again, not making a judgement on anyone who decides to look something up, just an observation.

i tend to look up the answers if it feels like i've tried literally everything the game offers as an item or ability, with no results. i definitely give it my best before going to the web though. i've seen some people go to a walkthrough right at the start of a game and say they just want to see the end and that's all that matters to them. those people make me mad, they should stick to movies.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2013, 10:31:45 AM »

I do think it was a special time playing pre-internet games. Shining Wisdom has a special place in my memory purely for the fact I was stuck in the game for half a year. I was completely stuck at the Sand Labyrinth. I even restarted the game multiple times in case I had missed something. I checked out this Labyrinth so thoroughly I even found a bug that let me walk on walls before finding the solution. Plus before the net & growing up there was less to do so games got more undivided attention I found.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2013, 03:21:25 PM »

Older gamers and younger gamers are completely different and it's mostly due to the internet.

I refuse to look at a guide unless it's completely hopeless (i.e. Castlevania 2). Older gamers were also trained to "figure it out yourself". That's the beauty of a video game for most of us.

Imagine a younger gamer playing The Legend of Zelda without any guidance aside from the map and manual that came with the game. That gamer is on gamefaqs or looking for a youtube walkthrough within 5 minutes or the game is turned off, never to be played again and is instead playing a game that holds your hand.

Edit - Let's put it this way. I can cruise through a game like Borderlands 2 in my sleep. A 9 year old has no chance at beating Rygar. Not because a younger gamer is less intelligent or skilled, but because they would never have the determination.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:39:54 PM by Dezorian » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »

Wait, Zelda CAME WITH A MAP?
...yeah, I never had manuals with games as a kid since all of my NES titles were cartridge only (2nd hand flea market). Zelda was fun to stumble into things on though.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »

...yeah, I never had manuals with games as a kid since all of my NES titles were cartridge only (2nd hand flea market). Zelda was fun to stumble into things on though.

original final fantasy had a map too
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2013, 07:32:24 PM »

original final fantasy had a map too

Tons of games have maps.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2013, 06:54:44 AM »

Bringing up those maps is an interesting point. As far as I know, and I may be wrong, these maps were included in the US versions of games because it was assumed that western players wouldn't be able to figure out where to go or what to do. So it seems that at the time, Nintendo thought US/Canadian gamers weren't as competent as their Japanese counterparts.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »

Nor were we...

When shall his new form be revealed?
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2013, 09:52:15 PM »

Yep, in fact one of the more common localization changes other than censorship was dumbing down the difficulty on games.

Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2013, 04:44:50 PM »

No speedruns to the extreme for them then, I take it?

Get off my Zebes, you should be saying.

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »

y can't metroid crawl guy banned from miiverse lol
SlasherNES
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 12:18:43 PM »

I'm still struggling w/ the original Metroid! Lol! It's funny though because I think gorwing up on the original NES really "trained" me to think and not have to rely on guides. There were some exceptions and I never owned a game genie until 2001. I only resort to either of those things unless I absolutely must. The games now, I blow through them A LOT quicker, it's like they hold your hand throughout the games you play on XB 360 or PS3. Not to mention there were no saves really(with the exception of Zelda), just passwords and/or continues and sometimes you didn't get either(depending on the game). It was just you against the game and you played on a Friday or Saturday night until the cows came home or beat it! Kids have it easy today w/ the NGC's! Damn kids and your rap music! laugh

Shop smart! Shop S-Mart!
Wolfman's got nards!
If it bleeds, we can kill it.
GradualGames
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 01:28:03 PM »

Playing through Super Metroid is one of my fondest memories of gaming. I did subscribe to Nintendo Power and I did have the Player's guide, but I think I only had to consult it a couple of times to get unstuck. I wasn't a very good gamer, though. I now have a lot of admiration for people who COULD figure out those games. But man...so few modern games can create that level of immersion. Super Metroid is a shining gem of a game.

Now, the only games that interest me are old, hard games. It's just no fun if you're guided all the way through with no challenge at all, as in so many modern games.

The thing I loved so much about Super Metroid though..the graphics, the music, were such masterpieces. And the game felt so incredibly vast. It really felt like you were exploring an alien planet. I can't even comprehend the idea that younger kids wouldn't pick up this game and react like: why the FUCK am I playing anything new???
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length