RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:59:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Gamestop shenanigans sell open games as 'new' 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Gamestop shenanigans sell open games as 'new'  (Read 5203 times)
Tan
« on: March 25, 2007, 07:12:09 PM »

Posted Mar 25th 2007 2:25PM by Alexander Sliwinski

Gamestop isn't new to weird shenanigans in their business tactics. In late January, James Munn, over at Aeropause, told the story of a Gamestop employee selling him a "new" game by opening a display box and putting the game disc into it. He was even asked if he wanted it shrink-wrapped, essentially discrediting any item in the store from being truly "new." Now we have a similar tale.

After hearing about the awesomeness of God of War II all week from colleagues, a lazy Sunday drive to go pick it up seemed in order. We even called ahead to make sure they had copies and were informed they did. Arriving at the Gamestop store, we went straight to the counter and asked for God of War II. The gentlemen proceeded to ask if there was a reservation, we said there wasn't, and he walked over to the display wall and grabbed the empty box for God of War II. He then walks back behind the counter and takes some discs and the manual from the security case, we immediately realized we were experiencing the Aeropause article.

"I'd like a new copy please."

The clerk looked up and said, "This is new. We just take the game out of the box." He then closed up the case and pointed to the front of the box where the sticker said "New: $49.99." He continued to tap the word "new" on the front of the box as if that somehow made this an unopened product. There was no mention of a 10 percent discount for selling an open package, nor was there warning that I'd receive an open package. Meanwhile, there were clearly unopened God of War II games in the security case.

It's moments like this where you think you're dealing with a Ferengi, or imagine channeling Sheneneh from the show Martin and saying something like, "Oh, no you di-in't."

After twenty seconds of truly stunned silence, we walked out of the store, drove to Best Buy and got a new copy of the game. Which wasn't just in its factory-sealed box, but in a second security case.

The problem isn't that the Gamestop tried to sell an opened item, it's that they'll charge full price for an open product. Yes, some retailers will re-stock open items, but most places won't take back opened games and they sure won't sell you an open game as "new." If we're purchasing a new title and paying full price, we want the item to be the same as when it arrived from the factory -- you know, "new." Gamestop continues to pile up the shady business practices.

Joystiq Article
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 08:14:12 PM by Tan » Logged
Tan
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 07:14:44 PM »

I know not everyone agrees that this is a bad thing  Wink but new is new. It's not new if it's already been opened by someone else. Nor does it make as good a gift to someone else if the shrinkwrap is gone. Just my opinion, I've accepted "opened new" in the past but sometimes i just want a new game dammit!  Tongue

Who wants a display copy with those crappy stickers all over it, and to top it off if the game isn't mainstream they'll only have 1 or 2 copies of it anyway. Maybe it isn't their fault and maybe it is, either way there has to be a better way to do business than that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 07:22:36 PM by Tan » Logged
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 07:26:48 PM »

They did that when I bought GUN on PS2.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 07:41:52 PM »

My copy of Rayman and 1080 Avalanche came in that manner.

Hello World.
Tan
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 08:23:30 PM »

In the least they should stop opening 5-10 copies of a game just for a display wall and use a different method for advertising.
DefaultGen
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 09:25:47 PM »

I once asked for a copy of Fire Emblem for GC, so he pulls the box off the shelf and takes the disc/manual out of a drawer.  I told him forget it.  Why would I pay full price for an opened game?
TurboGrafxer AKA DCer
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 10:31:41 PM »

i agree that this is shady business practice. if i buy something as new i want it new. not opened by someone else and 'tucked away'. part of buying a new game is opening it and haveing that new game smell. ahhhh. i guess im weird like that. plus the satisfaction that it has touched no other hands. i hate rewraps. especially used game stores that try to rewrap games (older classics games) and sell them as new.
for instance this happened last month: i went to game swap at eastgate mall in cincinatti. and there they know what i normally collect and are always showing me stuff that has recently come in. well that day the big guy that works there comes over to me with a rewrapped 'tricky kick' for the tg-16. obviousely it was rewrapped because it was just the case and no box. what did he think i was? - stupid. i pointed this out and he says 'ha ha you knew. someone else will eventually buy it though.' now that too is bad business practice too.

You're my hero. Vanilla Ice RULES! I can't believe that there is another SERIOUS Vanilla Ice fan on this site. The special edition DVD should be called "Cool As Ice: Drop That Zero Edition".
Grim Fandango
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 10:43:56 PM »

I bought a couple of "new" games there, just because of what might have been a pricing error. Got Sonic Advance for $8 and Xevious NES Classic for $3. I'd have been mad if they just gave me the cartridge only, at least they give you everything as if it was new.

[img width=300 height=225]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4282/supcatwv6.jpg[/img]

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=wallydawg[/img]
DefaultGen
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 11:36:42 PM »

for instance this happened last month: i went to game swap at eastgate mall in cincinatti. and there they know what i normally collect and are always showing me stuff that has recently come in. well that day the big guy that works there comes over to me with a rewrapped 'tricky kick' for the tg-16. obviousely it was rewrapped because it was just the case and no box. what did he think i was? - stupid.

My GameCrazy had a few more-expensive "sealed" GBA games that I was about to jump on until I realized the price tags were under the shrinkwrap.
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 01:12:21 AM »

I have not have the Gamestop that I go to ever do that to me.  But  from everything I've heard the one I go to was a hell of a better than the other ones.  Though not so much since they restaffed. 

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 01:52:57 AM »

I've bought like four new console games my whole life. All have been in the original packaging, one exception was when I got the last copy of SW: Battlefront II from an EB, tried to make me pay full price for a box with ripped plastic coating thingy, I went to target and got one there instead.

When shall his new form be revealed?
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 05:21:54 AM »

How is this news? Every shop (Apart from PCWorld) that I can think of has been doing this for over ten years. It's to stop people shoplifting. It's not something I like, but when their used games are the same price as new online I don't bother with high street stores anyway.

There were a couple of occaisions when I bought new games in Gamestation because they were the Deal of the Week. They had stocked up for the special offer, so had a stack of sealed ones behind the counter.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 07:12:33 AM »

I know not everyone agrees that this is a bad thing  Wink but new is new. It's not new if it's already been opened by someone else. Nor does it make as good a gift to someone else if the shrinkwrap is gone. Just my opinion, I've accepted "opened new" in the past but sometimes i just want a new game dammit!  Tongue

Who wants a display copy with those crappy stickers all over it, and to top it off if the game isn't mainstream they'll only have 1 or 2 copies of it anyway. Maybe it isn't their fault and maybe it is, either way there has to be a better way to do business than that.

I totally agree.  Once that case is open it is not new.  Why do they have the security thingies up at the entrance of the store if they are opening the display cases for security purposes.  There are other ways of security measures without opening the containers.  I know for a fact that Gamestop staff takes games home to play.  Who says that they aren't playing these "new" games at home or in the store.  If you go to Target or Shopko or  any other store a display item is reduced cost because that is what it is, a display item.  Man, I hate Gamestop.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 08:20:18 AM »

Yeah. It all depends on the store management. I personally never buy a "new" copy of a game this way.

I don't know if this is true of all gamestop/EB, but the ones near me allow you to try it for 7 days and if you don't like it bring it back for an exchange (not $ back).

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 08:26:22 AM »

Posted Mar 25th 2007 2:25PM by Alexander Sliwinski

Gamestop isn't new to weird shenanigans in their business tactics. In late January, James Munn, over at Aeropause, told the story of a Gamestop employee selling him a "new" game by opening a display box and putting the game disc into it. He was even asked if he wanted it shrink-wrapped, essentially discrediting any item in the store from being truly "new." Now we have a similar tale.

After hearing about the awesomeness of God of War II all week from colleagues, a lazy Sunday drive to go pick it up seemed in order. We even called ahead to make sure they had copies and were informed they did. Arriving at the Gamestop store, we went straight to the counter and asked for God of War II. The gentlemen proceeded to ask if there was a reservation, we said there wasn't, and he walked over to the display wall and grabbed the empty box for God of War II. He then walks back behind the counter and takes some discs and the manual from the security case, we immediately realized we were experiencing the Aeropause article.

"I'd like a new copy please."

The clerk looked up and said, "This is new. We just take the game out of the box." He then closed up the case and pointed to the front of the box where the sticker said "New: $49.99." He continued to tap the word "new" on the front of the box as if that somehow made this an unopened product. There was no mention of a 10 percent discount for selling an open package, nor was there warning that I'd receive an open package. Meanwhile, there were clearly unopened God of War II games in the security case.

It's moments like this where you think you're dealing with a Ferengi, or imagine channeling Sheneneh from the show Martin and saying something like, "Oh, no you di-in't."

After twenty seconds of truly stunned silence, we walked out of the store, drove to Best Buy and got a new copy of the game. Which wasn't just in its factory-sealed box, but in a second security case.

The problem isn't that the Gamestop tried to sell an opened item, it's that they'll charge full price for an open product. Yes, some retailers will re-stock open items, but most places won't take back opened games and they sure won't sell you an open game as "new." If we're purchasing a new title and paying full price, we want the item to be the same as when it arrived from the factory -- you know, "new." Gamestop continues to pile up the shady business practices.

Joystiq Article
I agree with you on this.  New means unopened you open it and it's used.  Regardless what as a store you have done with it.  They tried to pull this same crap with Monster House for the GC with me.  How do I know that they didn't refinish the disc and tried to pawn it off as new. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 08:28:01 AM by Ghost Soldier » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length