RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:19:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution...  (Read 6242 times)
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 07:27:29 AM »

I used to spend a huge amount of time on Civilization 2, then 3 just building up a massive army to wipe out the rest of the world in a few turns with. It made me feel better about myself. Smiley I then Bought Civilization Chronicles, which is a box set of all four games but I only installed Civ 4 and didn't really like it. I found it really hard to make any progress.

I might install Civ3 today. I think it was my favourite, being a mix of Civ2 with better graphics and a few gaming advances. Civ4 was pretty but kind of awkward to do anything with. They tried to add too much to it.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 09:29:43 AM »

Why not download the free demo of Civ Rev from Xbox Live and try it out? Cool

I don't know anything about the other Civ games, but imo having 4 different victory conditions available in Civ Rev adds a lot to the interest and fun factors of the game.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:14:56 PM by phoenix1967 » Logged

modest9797
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 11:38:19 AM »

I started to play the demo but put it down after 2mins.  I saw that if I would play it I would get addicted, and blow $50 of my banjo fund and go down to gamestop and pick it up. 
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 03:17:02 PM »

^The big question is...which would you get more enjoyment out of playing? The banjo or Civ Rev?

Something to think about.  evilhappy

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 10:13:52 PM »

^The big question is...which would you get more enjoyment out of playing? The banjo or Civ Rev?

Are we allowed both?

Tell me about your variants...
jcalder8
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 02:09:37 AM »

Well I just picked this up today after trading something in and it's now 12:15 and I want to stay up and start another game but I'm way too tired, but so far I love it.
modest9797
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 03:23:06 PM »

Way to go.  You got me to play the demo.  now I want it sooo bad.  Unfortunatly I can't get a job.  (I'm 14) so now I will have to wait even longer for my banjo.  However, with a game as addicting as that, the time will fly.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »

Glad you liked the demo. Hope you're able to get the game soon. Cool

Damn. I've been trying to play on Emporer difficulty over the weekend. I was able to get  a Tech win as the Zulu. But I've been having trouble trying to make ANY progress with Germany and am not having any luck. Germany really gets shafted in the Ancient Era because they don't get any resource bonuses or Tech to start with...they don't even get a building. I'm thinking of giving up on Germany and trying someone else for awhile.

shylock
N-Gage
Canada

Stats
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 01:40:36 PM »

I play Civ IV on Warlord. Anything higher and the challenge is evaporated as the AI becomes bloodthirsty and attack after 20 minutes. I could never play Revolution though, the controller would just be weird for me, I need a keyboard/mouse for those games.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 11:53:56 AM »

The controller is very intuitive. Since the game was specifically designed for consoles, it was implemented very well imo.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 07:08:57 AM »

Saw the review over at GameTrailers. The game looks good indeed, although I'd expected it to be less cartoon-ish. This'll probably become a big hit, although it'll get criticized by PC gamers for losing depth in order to make it playable on consoles.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 08:19:11 AM »

Frankly, I like the fact that I can complete a game in a matter of 2-6 hours instead of 20+(from what I've heard about the PC versions). And there's still plenty of strategy and depth to be had. 

But I agree that the PC purists will probably compare it to the PC Civ series and think it to be too "stripped down". Which is too bad, because it's an excellent game.

There's going to be downloadable content soon as well.

I'm willing to bet that this starts a new franchise for the consoles. I know I'd love to see an expansion and/or sequel in the future. There's plenty of room for it, imo.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 12:53:55 PM »

I'm willing to bet that this starts a new franchise for the consoles. I know I'd love to see an expansion and/or sequel in the future. There's plenty of room for it, imo.
Most likely. It's pretty easy to make an expansion/sequel for an RTS/TBS game. Just introduce some new races/civilizations with their own unique units & buildings, some new maps, up the graphics a bit and ..... BOOM: an expansion right there  Wink
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 03:37:29 PM »

^Exactly. They've already got the engine in place, now they can improve on it.

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 06:03:13 PM »

I have it for DS. I do love the demo on 360. It's pretty much the same game, just on a smaller screen. No achievements though. How's the multiplayer? I'd like to pick it up when I can afford it. The only thing better than picking up Civ Rev would be an Age of Empires 360 release.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length