RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:01:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Are videogames too long? Should smaller videogames be encouraged? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Poll
Question: How long do you think videogames should be in the future?
Like they are now. I'm paying $60 for a new release and want as much content as possible.   -11 (33.3%)
The singleplayer mode of most online games (like COD4) should be gone/shorter.   -0 (0%)
I like the lenght of an average action game but the "100-hours monters" aren't my thing.   -6 (18.2%)
I'd be happy to give in some game time if it'd result in more original/daring games.   -12 (36.4%)
A game can't be long enough for me; I love RPGs that never seem to end!   -4 (12.1%)
Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Are videogames too long? Should smaller videogames be encouraged?  (Read 12096 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 04:20:15 AM »

There are games, however, that have eaten more time from my life than I care to think about.
MMO's are sneaky bastards, aren't they? Tongue

You go have fun on Medieval II Cheesy
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »

The main attraction of these long games is that you don't have to do anything, but can choose to do the things you like best. I, for example, played through Morrowind twice, but never completed all quests. I never bothered to join some guilds, because I wasn't interested in them. I did, however, really liked having all these options to choose from.
Having the option to do what you want and not do what you don't want is what makes games like this great.

This is also why saying only 2% of the people who played GTA IV finished it is a poor argument against long games, because most people that have played GTA IV got out of it what they wanted and that might have been something different for everyone. You can't compare these long, 'open' games with shorter games that only have a story to play through and no sidequests.

That's also why I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement like 'games are too long', because it depends on the game. I love some 100+ hour games like oblivion, but other games are perfect at 15 hours.

I also don't think the rising costs of developing videogames will make 100+ hours games a thing of the past. Mostly because video game developers aren't all cold and calculating accountants yet, bust mostly people who make games they love to play.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 04:27:06 PM »

Long time no see arrr! How is der Nederlande? Still awesome? laugh

Tell me about your variants...
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 06:09:53 PM »

Welcome back Arrrhalomynn Smiley

And you said some very interesting things. Although what you said about having a long game where gamers can choose what they do or not makes sense; it doesn't make sense to make these games from a profit point of view. I think a company would rather make 4 games each having a certain focus than 1 very big game with so many things in it.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 06:23:53 PM »

I just realized that this is the first time that arr has been on since May! Sirgin, you have never had the pleasure of meeting the coolest cat on this site (other than Dave and everyone else, INCLUDING YOU).

Just check out his ugly mugs pic. It is dripping with 'I am soo much cooler than all of you.' laugh

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 06:48:16 PM »

You're right, I've never seen him online. Hopefully he'll visit frequently again Smiley

And of course he's the coolest cat on this site...after all he's a co-founder and Dutch speaker, can't beat that  Cool Tongue
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 09:23:45 PM »

You're right, I've never seen him online. Hopefully he'll visit frequently again Smiley

And of course he's the coolest cat on this site...after all he's a co-founder and Dutch speaker, can't beat that  Cool Tongue

Oh yeah? OH YEAH? Well!...

I have no comeback...

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2008, 11:45:56 PM »

He's an ass, and he'll be pissed that you turned the conversation away from the subject.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2008, 02:31:02 PM »

And he'll be pissed that you turned the conversation away from the subject.
Yes, you people are creepy.

Anyways, I don't understand why a company would want to develop 4 games with a specific focus when they could also make one super awesome game that has everything in it. Profit isn't the only reason people make games. Developers want to push the available technology as far as it can go, express themselves, make something new and exciting or simply a game they'll love to play themselves. 

Besides, games like GTA IV and Oblivion have sold extremely well, so even from a profit point of view there's no reason not to make such games.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2008, 04:57:28 PM »

Profit isn't the only reason people make games.
Maybe so, but even how idealistic these people are, if their game doesn't sell, they won't be in the industry for long Wink

Besides, games like GTA IV and Oblivion have sold extremely well, so even from a profit point of view there's no reason not to make such games.
That is true but then again you take two Triple A (if not Quadruple A) titles as an example.

It's the games who are just below the absolute top, with less "known" names but still take loads of money to develop, that barely sell enough to cover the expenses. Or worse: those that don't even sell enough to cover expenses.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2008, 09:30:30 PM »

Maybe so, but even how idealistic these people are, if their game doesn't sell, they won't be in the industry for long Wink

That is true but then again you take two Triple A (if not Quadruple A) titles as an example.

It's the games who are just below the absolute top, with less "known" names but still take loads of money to develop, that barely sell enough to cover the expenses. Or worse: those that don't even sell enough to cover expenses.

And that is why we must, as a collective whole, buy the smaller title/lesser know games (that are good, of course), so that those small companies that make just as good games as the big guys don't go belly up. Granted, that is kinda hard in today's economy, but I digress...

Tan
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2008, 11:29:41 PM »

And that is why we must, as a collective whole, buy the smaller title/lesser know games (that are good, of course), so that those small companies that make just as good games as the big guys don't go belly up. Granted, that is kinda hard in today's economy, but I digress...

The thing about supporting the small fish is that is only applies to so many genres. I mean really, played a great racing game, fighter or RPG that is on the level of FFXII or Oblivion or Gran Turismo or Forza lately? Sure you may be able to name a few exceptions but that's all they are...exceptions. Have any sports titles that are better in scope than Tiger Woods, NHL 2k/EA or Madden? Small fish and Indie devs seem to flourish with Action Adventure games like platformers, puzzlers or strategy. But that's only a small portion of variety. It's hard to compete with official licenses, music artists and top notch voice acting when your budget is significantly lower.

Keep in mind also that as game connoisseurs we have a much more critical eye and take more notice of titles that escape the average gamers notice. Most people buy what is being aggressively sold to them. Audiosurf? No, we have Guitar Hero waiting for you $10 off if you buy today. Calling all Cars? Nah, but you definitely want the latest Need for Speed title as seen on TV and in-store. 

It's a vicious cycle but Hollywood talent, physics engines, millions in marketing and household names are just about all the industry has room for. The rest have to be satisfied with maybe getting a lucky break or worse a second job. Tongue
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2008, 07:07:36 AM »

It's a vicious cycle but Hollywood talent, physics engines, millions in marketing and household names are just about all the industry has room for. The rest have to be satisfied with maybe getting a lucky break or worse a second job. Tongue
I agree with you 100% but it's sad to see that almost any "industry" where money is to be made can't escape these rules. There's so much monopolization and company fusions that 10 years from now there'll be 3-4 big publishers and they'll dictate what we get to play.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length