RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 07:00:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | The Automotive Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The Automotive Thread  (Read 14825 times)
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »

I got my truck back today after spending $1800 to get the transmission rebuilt, and all was fine with it. That is, until I put it in reverse. The first time it just didn't shift very smooth, but nothing extraordinary. But as I went about my business through the day, every time I needed to back up, it got worse and worse. Eventually, it would just shake the whole truck when in reverse and would back up, but it was like backing over a pile of logs. So its going back to the shop Monday.

Glad to see the S-10 up and running.

Hard Shifts are not uncommon with rebuilt transmissions. They never act the same after being rebuilt. But the shaking while reversing concerns me. Not familiar with that symptom. I don't work at a trans specialty shop but I would check that out for sure.

I've only rebuilt a few transmissions in my 5 years as a tech. But I've never had one come back to me with that complaint. They should check it out at no cost if it's a reputable place.

Other than that It's just a random guess for me as far as the problem goes. Kinda have to be there in person to solve that problem.

Still best of luck NES_Rules
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 04:03:47 PM »

So I got my truck back yesterday, after having the transmission rebuilt for the second time. What happened before was the brand new torque converter imploded and destroyed everything else in the transmission. But guess what? I took it for a test drive today and all was fine, until I noticed some smoke behind me, so I headed for home. The smoke got thicker and before I knew it, hitting the gas pedal no longer made the truck go. So I pulled off the road and look underneath to see transmission fluid pouring out. And of course, I forgot to take my cell phone, so I had to walk home, which wouldn't have been too bad since it was only a mile or so, except for the giant ripped open and bleeding blister on my ankle from work the last couple days.

All I'm hoping for now is that the transmission fluid pouring onto the exhaust pipe caught the whole truck on fire while I was walking home.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 07:51:39 PM »

My god it never ends! Sorry to hear all the crap that keeps happening to you and the S-10. I would hope the people that rebuilt the trans would of taken it on a good test drive after they re-re built the trans to verify everything functioned OK.

Sorry to hear this...again. Good old S-10 needs to keep on going and keep you going.
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »

Turns out it was something small this time. The transmission cooler line either broke or came loose so that's why it was losing fluid, so it should be all fixed by tomorrow. Hopefully I can go more than 25 miles without having a problem again.
But all this has got me thinking about whether I should just get a new truck, probably a Silverado. Ideally, I'd want a 2WD V6 with an extended cab, but they're either really expensive or have a ton of miles. But, while my dad was browsing for something I'd want, he came across a 2006 HD with a V8 for $7000, so he's offering his current one to me for $5000 if he buys that one. His is a 2003 V6 standard cab.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 11:15:43 AM »

My dad bought himself a used Mercedes SLK 230K. Neat car. It has fancy AMG rims, even though it isn't an AMG model.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »

^ I rode the 230K for the first time yesterday. Wow, it's a pretty sweet car! Acceleration isn't bad at all.
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 09:20:15 AM »

Continuing on with the story of my truck, it died on me last Wednesday. We met at a McDonald's for work since we were going to a new job site and no one knew where it was. Just as we were about to leave, I went to start my truck and heard this terrible grinding sound (my boss later described it as sounding like a pterodactyl). At first I thought maybe the starter gears had just gotten out of sync so I tried it again, but same result. Fearing further damage, I left it in the parking lot and rode to the job site with a co-worker.
I called my dad to ask if he had any simple ideas that it may be. but he didn't know anything so he drove down to take a look. He got there, jacked the truck up to see if the starter was loose, and it started right up. Thinking it may have been a fluke, he left it running. While he was there, he noticed the transmission fluid was low, so we added another quart of fluid. He drove my truck home so he could work on it, and left me his truck for the rest of the week.
Once he got home, my truck wouldn't start again, so he took it to the shop that did the transmission. Turns out, there was a pinhole in the transmission line and the starter was going bad. While replacing the transmission line, the mechanic noticed the front brakes were worn to nothing (thanks a lot squealers for not making a sound), and when they replaced those, one of the brake lines broke. So it took them over the weekend to get that all fixed. And when my dad got the truck back, he noticed the alternator was squeaking, so he replaced that, and the serpentine belt since he had so much taken apart it was simple enough to replace at that point.
So now I finally got it back, and for the first time in years, my check engine and parking brake lights are off. Since I had replaced the brakes and starter in the truck before and had bought the lifetime warranties for them, I didn't have to pay for those, just the labor, so it "only" cost me $500.
Now if I just get a small exhaust leak fixed and get a front end alignment, my truck will be 100% perfectly running.
I kind of want to sell it and get something with 4WD since it would make more sense driving to a lot of job sites, but I love the fact that I can reach almost anywhere in the bed of my truck from the outside and I wouldn't be able to do that with a 4WD.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 09:07:50 PM »

but I love the fact that I can reach almost anywhere in the bed of my truck from the outside and I wouldn't be able to do that with a 4WD.

Subaru Baja?  Grin

On a serious note, glad to hear your truck is running well again.  I can feel that my rotors are warped, so I should probably stop being lazy and change them...
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »

but I love the fact that I can reach almost anywhere in the bed of my truck from the outside and I wouldn't be able to do that with a 4WD.

Subaru Baja?  Grin

On a serious note, glad to hear your truck is running well again.  I can feel that my rotors are warped, so I should probably stop being lazy and change them...
My aunt has one of those, I drove it once and felt like I was in a clown car. It was incredibly cramped inside for some reason, even my mom's Saturn Ion has way more interior space.

Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 08:31:24 AM »

I think I'm getting the hang of this automotive-self-repair thing.

A few months ago I replaced the front seats in my car.

A few weeks ago I replaced both rear turn-signal-blinker bulbs.

And yesterday I put on new wiper blades.

I'm gonna really challenge myself by changing the oil and filter next.

I might even *GASP* check all the fluid levels, AND take a look at the air filter.

What can I say, I love livin' on the edge.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:33:21 AM by Zagnorch » Logged
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »

I've started wiring up the sensors to the ECU on my Duratec. The exhaust manifold is nearly done but the collector is stuffed so I'm going to redo it. I welded up a gear box mount that I'm quite pleased with.

To do list:
Order the new propshaft.
Finish the alternator mount and belt tensioner.
Wire in the ECU.
Weld the exhaust system.
Do some more wiring.
Install some sort hybrid cable/hydraulic clutch system.
Sort out the throttle cable.
Install the speedo sensor and get the speedo working.

Lots of little bits and then I can fire up the engine.

I have under 3" of ground clearance so someone is making up a shortened sump for me but I'm a bit concerned it's going to foul a particular chassis rail.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:03:29 PM by James » Logged
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 11:05:36 PM »

Started the new year fixing my ride a little by replacing the headlight bulbs and changing the oil. Went into it with guarded optimism, and left a frustrated, bitter wreck.

The first part was ridiculously complicated, as it involved taking apart the entire front end just to access the headlamp housings. Several things were held in place with plastic clips, some of which broke despite my extremely painstaking efforts to keep them intact as I disassembled the whole deal.

The second part proved impossible, as I was unable to free the oil pan plug bolt. Apparently, whoever last changed the oil put it back on so tightly, my attempts to loosen it only resulted in me stripping out the head of the bolt. It didn't help that, even if I was successful,  I'd have spent less money and time having the job done at one of those Jiffy-Lube places than I'd have spent doing it myself.

Long story short: This DIY stuff is total bullshit.  Angry
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »

The oil pan bolt was likely machine tightened. Same thing happened on my buddy's Mustang and I stripped that bolt too.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 11:28:51 PM »

Amateurs  Roll Eyes

Don't worry Zag I've seen some downright bad and funny DIY stuff get towed into my shop. At least you aren't the guy that put his brake pads on backwards.  Quote from customer "I just put new brakes on myself and their grinding really loud" Ahh, priceless stuff I see every week.   
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 11:43:39 PM »

The oil pan bolt was likely machine tightened. Same thing happened on my buddy's Mustang and I stripped that bolt too.

What's really messed up is that I gotta hit the local auto parts store tomorrow to return the stuff I bought for the oil change. Looks like I'll be buying a new pan bolt while I'm there.  Sad

At least you aren't the guy that put his brake pads on backwards.

Trust me, I would be that guy if I attempted to install new brakes on my own.

Actually, I'd likely be a lot worse; that's how badly mechanically declined I am.

It's a miracle I know how to put gas in the thing...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length