RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:02:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Can we add more arcade hardware? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can we add more arcade hardware?  (Read 2976 times)
bryan_65
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:07:19 AM »

Can we add more arcade hardware, like Naomi and Naomi GD rom, CP2, CPS3, Taito G Net. I could list all more if need be. I think system16.com would be a good starting point for getting more list going.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:16:22 AM by bryan_65 » Logged
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:51:04 AM »

We can not add more, because we don't have any arcade hardware. Its something we want to add in the future, but we need to do it right and won't rush into it. But first we have a huge list of other projects that need to be done before we can even begin to work on adding arcade hardware.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:43:43 PM »

We technically have arcade machines in the DB now. I think that might be why he asked to add more as opposed to start adding them

Maybe it is worth clarifying why things like NeoGeo and Sammy can have arcades in the DB (only 2 i can think of off the top of my head) but others cannot?

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »

bump

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 02:34:35 PM »

We technically have arcade machines in the DB now. I think that might be why he asked to add more as opposed to start adding them

Maybe it is worth clarifying why things like NeoGeo and Sammy can have arcades in the DB (only 2 i can think of off the top of my head) but others cannot?
I'm not exactly sure why or when those were added. I think the NeoGeo MVS was added basically because it was so similar to the AES, and it just kind of made sense for them both to be there. I'm not familiar with the Sammy Atomiswave, but I'm betting it was added because it uses cartridges, and not just PCBs like a more traditional arcade cabinet would.
So yeah, those are kind of messy, so adding more arcade cabinets/platforms would only make things more complicated. When we're ready for arcade machines, we can move these couple (and whatever others that are in the DB) fairly easily. No point in adding a bunch just to move them in the future.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 03:46:50 PM »

This was previously discussed, and the staff member that added them to the database (ApolloBoy) mentioned that they were added because they had cartridge-based systems. While I don't entirely agree with that argument, it does make them more collectible than the PCB-based systems.

The database needs an overhaul and proper support for hardware, as well as proper support for digital titles, arcade machines (PCB and cartridge-based) and strategy guides. While we COULD shoehorn those in right now, and enable tracking for them, the information itself and even what we were tracking would be incomplete.

ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »

This was previously discussed, and the staff member that added them to the database (ApolloBoy) mentioned that they were added because they had cartridge-based systems. While I don't entirely agree with that argument, it does make them more collectible than the PCB-based systems.
I think I also brought up the collectibility argument, I didn't base it solely on the fact that they use carts. But in any case, I do think it'd be nice to have an arcade side to the DB, but as we've discussed many times before, we'd need to figure out just how exactly to go about doing it. Obviously arcade machines aren't like console games where you just have the game itself, the box and the manual; with arcade games you've got the PCB/cart, marquee, manual, artwork, etc; I think we need to gather up some people in the community who are active in the arcade collecting scene and get their input before we seriously look into this.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=ApolloBoy[/img]
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 04:49:50 PM »

As it is i would like to see hardware and digital games be split into their own databases with their own folders in peoples collections.
Arcades and magazines can be done the same way whenever the time comes.

Honestly i would rather see mags/strat guides be tracked before arcade stuff.

bryan_65
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »

Thanks for the replies and discussion guys. I see your points about PCBs and there being a lot of different stuff out. It was the MVS and Atomiswave being listed that made me want to add Naomi and the like. Most arcade games share some kinda of hardware even if they are on PCB's (example being Soul Calibur and Tekken 3 - Different PCBs on the same hardware of Namco system 12). I just want to have a database that covers all my games. I do love the site and you can tell a lot of hard work has went into it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:57:29 PM by bryan_65 » Logged
sharp
DB Contributor
Netherlands

Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »

For me the main problem for arcade hardware is the fact there are many bootlegs on the market. It will be hard to find a sollution about how to mention those. Als it will be hard to put a border, as for example CPS2 and much more systems work with a A and B-board instead of carts. Even though I have over 100 arcade games I think it will be hard to find a good way to put them into the database
\
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length