RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:34:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | The Collection Diary 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: The Collection Diary  (Read 18862 times)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« on: February 15, 2008, 05:56:22 PM »

Kind of like the Gaming Diary, but for people like myself who do more collecting than actual gaming. Post about anything new you've done to your collection/game room.

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 05:56:34 PM »

Today, I did a little re-organizing, I bought a set of plastic drawers at Wal-mart to hold my loose N64 carts. They didn't have exactly what I needed, so I had to get something a little bigger. It's got 4 drawers that hold around 30 each, plus 3 larger drawers that I may people controllers in. I bought this because I was tired of trying to deal with the games' lack of labels on the ends, so this works out perfect.
I also moved around my GC, SNES, and boxed SNES, N64 games. Nothing major though.
A few weeks ago, I noticed a small gap between the cabinet that holds controller and the shelf that holds games, so I ended measuring it and realized it was about the width of 2 VCS carts, so I stacked all my VCS games in two stacks, and it makes it look like a lot more games this way;D
So, now I've got 3 completely empty shelves for games I buy this summer and one more that's 98% empty for NES games.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:56:27 PM »

I'm in the process of checking what's actually in my collection and what I have logged here. I finished NES and Genesis and found over 30 games between them that I had not added to my collection. I'm currently going through my Playstation games.

While I've been doing this I've been sorting out any doubles I've come across,

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »

That's gotta be a tough task with such a huge collection. I've tried doing it a couple times and I'll get 50 games in maybe, and I'll get bored and quit. I was lucky in that I found RFG when my collection was still small and I've kept it up as I bought new stuff, but I'll still occasionally come across games that aren't in my collection.

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 03:56:34 AM »

I've been working on moving everything I have into my new game room. I am short of shelf space, and short of money to buy more shelves, so I have been fairly limited with what I've been able to do so far. I did pick up a larger set of plastic drawers for hookups and controllers. I think I can get by with one more decent size bookshelf. Maybe I'll be able to take care of that this weekend.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 11:31:17 AM »

I just worked out the cost for supplies on the new addition to the house.  It will consist of two rooms and be roughly 12x38.  One of the two rooms will be the new gameroom added onto the master bedroom accessible by a pair of french doors and the other room will double the size of the living room.  I'm at 1200 dollars to rough it in without siding, j-mold and such.

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 04:02:21 PM »

Bought a sliding cassette tape holder at Goodwill that holds 40 loose Genesis games perfect. This enabled me to completely change my Genesis games around. Loose games are now in alphabetical order, most fit in the tape holder, but I'm going to look for another one. I also alphabetized the boxed Genesis games and found several duplicates which I added to my "sell eventually" pile.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 04:35:39 PM »

That's gotta be a tough task with such a huge collection. I've tried doing it a couple times and I'll get 50 games in maybe, and I'll get bored and quit. I was lucky in that I found RFG when my collection was still small and I've kept it up as I bought new stuff, but I'll still occasionally come across games that aren't in my collection.

The main problem is i don't have a game room. All my stuff is in storage tubs or stacked 3 deep on the few shelves I do have. It's a pain to even get at certain games.

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 01:06:23 PM »

Put up a pair of glass shelves my aunt gave me. They're about a foot long, on one I put my Pac-Man Christmas album and Pac-Man drinking glasses. On the other I put my VHS tapes; DKC: Legend of the Crystal Coconut, DKC: Exposed, Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 02:03:51 PM »

Well I have my game cabinet and shelving system designed out.  I used the database here to see how many NES, SNES, and N64 games there are.  Those are such common systems Im hoping they are complete listings.  They will be drawers stacked up in a cabinet, holding loose games.  Nes has a capacity of 800 games, Snes has 740 game capacity, and N64 has a 300 game capacity.  I only plan to keep one copy of each game in there, so no duplicates or Players Choice.  Can you guys tell me if these numbers are right? Would rather have to much space than not enough.
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 02:20:31 PM »

Well I have my game cabinet and shelving system designed out.  I used the database here to see how many NES, SNES, and N64 games there are.  Those are such common systems Im hoping they are complete listings.  They will be drawers stacked up in a cabinet, holding loose games.  Nes has a capacity of 800 games, Snes has 740 game capacity, and N64 has a 300 game capacity.  I only plan to keep one copy of each game in there, so no duplicates or Players Choice.  Can you guys tell me if these numbers are right? Would rather have to much space than not enough.
If your just looking at regular releases, those databases should be complete, if anything is missing, it would be something so rare and unheard of you'll likely never find it anyway. Probably every system database that isn't having new games made is complete too.

I would rather have too much space than not enough. You never know you might find some pirated games that aren't in the database, that you will want to keep. I think your 800 for the NES is good, but you might want to allow more room for the SNES and N64 if possible. The database has 309 N64 games and 760 games counting Player's Choice and things like that, so I would allow for at least that many to give yourself a little extra room.

And if your planning to keep your NES games in the dust sleeves, allow more room, they take up a lot more room than one would think.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 01:31:18 AM »

I threw a ton of my stuff into the closet in Rowans room.

I'll up some pics.

michaelbogardus
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 12:42:24 PM »

And if your planning to keep your NES games in the dust sleeves, allow more room, they take up a lot more room than one would think.
Very true. I can't fit them all on my shelves with dust sleeves, so I just have a box of dust sleeves kicking around.
shadowforte
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 09:12:52 PM »

I am still trying to set up a good shelfing unit. I think it is harder when you have less games because it tends to look like crap.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 10:10:03 AM by shadowforte » Logged
michaelbogardus
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 09:31:42 PM »

Didn't pick up anything today, but I think I'm going to own a few Color Dreams cartridges soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length