RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:45:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Halo Wars 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Halo Wars  (Read 4442 times)
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 04:25:56 PM »

Hey no problem phoenix. I understand your post and I can guarantee I have made comments like that myself so no worries at all. It's just kind of funny when you are the one on the receiving end of an incorrect comment. But yeah I've definitely made comments like that.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »

^Glad to know I'm not alone there. Thanks for understanding. Cool

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 10:01:17 AM »

The review:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45932.html

In short: they sacrificed scale/amount of units/micromanagement to make it playable on a console.

Result? The game lacks depth compared to other RTS games.

No matter how you look at it, you really need to have a PC for a full RTS experience.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 11:45:54 AM »

In short: they sacrificed scale/amount of units/micromanagement to make it playable on a console.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. It agree that it would be better if they had Covenant and Flood campaigns included as well, though.

Result? The game lacks depth compared to other RTS games.

If the default difficulty is too easy, I would agree. However, there's always the opportunity to ramp it up and/or add the use of skulls (of which we really don't know how they will add to the gameplay depth at this point) to enhance the experience.

No matter how you look at it, you really need to have a PC for a full RTS experience.

From the point of view of primarily a console-only gamer, I really don't care to ever play an RTS on a PC. Imo, the console RTS experience is full enough for me so long as it's a good game and that it's fun to play.

Sidebar - A few points in defense of console RTS's in general:

1. If we're to assume that the reviewers are playing on the default difficulty, what's so wrong about having an RTS game be "scaled down" to be more user-friendly to newer gamers to the genre? If a new RTS gamer finds the difficulty too easy, then they can ramp it up! Which may add to the depth of the game even if there aren't as many bells and whistles to it. The overcomplexity of the mouse/keyboard and micromanagement are some of the reasons why I never got into the genre on the PC. If they're too complex or require too much micromanagement, they cease to be fun, imo.

2. What's the point of reviewers comparing an RTS on the PC to an RTS on a console? If the console RTS holds up as a high quality game, then it should get high quality scores. There's a huge issue with reviewer bias regarding this point in many circumstances. Don't get me wrong, if console controls are clunky or gameplay/graphics/sound aspects suck outright, they should be critiqued accordingly; but they shouldn't be compared to using a mouse & keyboard.

That's just my $.02. Cool

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 11:56:46 AM »

2. What's the point of reviewers comparing an RTS on the PC to an RTS on a console?
They're both RTS games so naturally, we'll start to compare. Following your logic you could also say:
"What's the point of comparing electric cars with regular cars?"
The answer would be (again): they're both cars. Tongue

But please don't get me wrong because I agree with pretty much everything you're saying there. You're just looking at it from a console-gamer point of view, while I'm looking at it from a PC-RTS gamer point of view. Smiley

If they're too complex or require too much micromanagement, they cease to be fun, imo.
I think exactly the oposite when it comes to RTS games. To me, RTS games are the pinnacle of "How much things can happen at the same time without me losing control"-gameplay. It doesn't mean I don't like simple games (I love simple games, actually) but I just like RTSs to be hectic. That's what makes them RTSs, really. Tongue
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 01:55:21 PM »

^Interesting perspective. I think there's really no right or wrong way to look at the genre in general. If one prefers PC RTS and another prefers console RTS but both enjoy the games for what they are, that's really the best scenario for all RTS gamers. 

As a new genre to consoles, I think that it's definitely getting to the point where developers are becoming more encouraged about it's possibilities rather than being dismissive of it. BFME2, C&C3, Tom Clancy's End War, and now Halo Wars are at the very least evolving the genre on the console. So it's encouraging to see what the future may hold for it. Cool

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 01:59:04 PM »

^Interesting perspective. I think there's really no right or wrong way to look at the genre in general. If one prefers PC RTS and another prefers console RTS but both enjoy the games for what they are, that's really the best scenario for all RTS gamers. 

As a new genre to consoles, I think that it's definitely getting to the point where developers are becoming more encouraged about it's possibilities rather than being dismissive of it. BFME2, C&C3, Tom Clancy's End War, and now Halo Wars are at the very least evolving the genre on the console. So it's encouraging to see what the future may hold for it. Cool
You're right.

I guess I was looking at the game a bit too much from an PC-RTS gamer point of view in my first comment, sorry about that! Smiley
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 03:30:15 PM »

I guess I was looking at the game a bit too much from an PC-RTS gamer point of view in my first comment, sorry about that! Smiley

No problem. Perfectly understandable. Cheesy

Tan
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 04:35:31 PM »

Console RTS games have been around for a long time now. Some of my favorites of all time are C&C on the PS1, Populous on the SNES and Dune on the Genesis.

The only reason it has become more prominent is because PC developers are branching out to consoles more. The failures and bad games of the past tend to stay forgotten.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 09:52:54 PM »

I also loved Dune on the Mega Drive and spent many many hours on it. Damn I can't wait for StarCraft II, day one purchase for me.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 10:04:05 PM »

I don't mind console RTSs, this game just looks a little weak to me.

When shall his new form be revealed?
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »

I don't mind console RTSs, this game just looks a little weak to me.

Which console RTSs have you played? Any recommendations?

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 01:05:50 PM »

I smell sarcasm; but back in the dizzay I played a lot of C&C: Red Alert and Red Alert: Retaliation on the PS1. Loved them at the time.

Granted as of late I have not played any on consoles; but what I really mean is that I'm open to the idea. I don't think you need a mouse and keyboard to micro-manage.

I really have no idea about Halo Wars; but from the gameplay footage I've seen it just looks lacking. Like there isn't much there.

When shall his new form be revealed?
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 02:05:18 PM »

I smell sarcasm; but back in the dizzay I played a lot of C&C: Red Alert and Red Alert: Retaliation on the PS1. Loved them at the time.

Granted as of late I have not played any on consoles; but what I really mean is that I'm open to the idea. I don't think you need a mouse and keyboard to micro-manage.

I really have no idea about Halo Wars; but from the gameplay footage I've seen it just looks lacking. Like there isn't much there.

No sarcasm intended. I had purchased BMFE2 and C&C3 when they were on sale but didn't really play either all that much so I was curious if you had a take on the newer RTS games for the console.

I've pre-ordered HW-LE, so I'm thinking that if I enjoy that one enough, I may be willing to play the others. Also, since I haven't played them much, I've pretty much held off on getting C&C3: Kane's Wrath and Red Alert 3 (even at discounted prices) until I get a better grasp of the genre as a whole.

I figure if I enjoy HW enough, after I've had my fill of it I'll try to tackle some of the more "complex" console RTSs.

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 02:16:10 AM »

Halo Wars looks like "My First RTS" much like Halo was "My First FPS". Wink

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length