RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:13:31 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Search results ordering 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Search results ordering  (Read 2650 times)
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« on: November 09, 2015, 05:36:23 PM »

Got a recommendation/request that's gonna be a bit hard to explain (and possibly not possible) so bear with me.

When you search for a game title it obviously brigs back a list of all possible results. Those results are sorted by default alphabetically by title with numbers first and special characters last. Can it be made so special characters come first in the ordering? (Is that possible?)
The reason I ask is cus this would then make variations of a game come before sequels to that game (currently a sequel would come before a variation because presumably 2 comes before [ in the sort order). The best sorting order would probably be spaces, square brackets, curved brackets, other special characters, numbers, letters.

Also, can a secondary ordering be implemented? So after games are sorted by title they are then sorted by say console. Maybe even a tertiary sorting by country.

PS. On searching for Morrowind there are some entries which unfathomably appear in the wrong order (they are at the top). I can't see why they are in the wrong order though. Any ideas??

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 06:25:38 PM »

Actually, would be better if spaces came after special characters in sorting order
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 12:21:19 AM »

PS. On searching for Morrowind there are some entries which unfathomably appear in the wrong order (they are at the top). I can't see why they are in the wrong order though. Any ideas??

Someone, likely Sauza, double-spaced between : and Morrowind. That's why they show up at the top. I can only blame Sauza since he's the only one that still does that, and he was around at the time. Cheesy

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 04:32:51 AM »

Ahh. Cheers shadow
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »

Got a recommendation/request that's gonna be a bit hard to explain (and possibly not possible) so bear with me.

When you search for a game title it obviously brigs back a list of all possible results. Those results are sorted by default alphabetically by title with numbers first and special characters last. Can it be made so special characters come first in the ordering? (Is that possible?)
The reason I ask is cus this would then make variations of a game come before sequels to that game (currently a sequel would come before a variation because presumably 2 comes before [ in the sort order). The best sorting order would probably be spaces, square brackets, curved brackets, other special characters, numbers, letters.

Also, can a secondary ordering be implemented? So after games are sorted by title they are then sorted by say console. Maybe even a tertiary sorting by country.

I agree.  It's annoying how Megaman comes after Megaman 2-6.  I'm constantly missing that I have it because I see Megaman 2 and expect Megaman 1 to come before it.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 10:55:44 AM »

Admin got any thoughts? Is it possible?
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 11:26:38 AM »

Anything is possible.

The real question is do the guys who have the ability also have the time.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 09:57:38 AM »

What's time?

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States