RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 01:25:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | OUYA-New Console-Discussion Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: OUYA-New Console-Discussion Thread  (Read 5090 times)
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 12:30:31 PM »

Once stuff is download only I will be saving a lot of money since I wont be buying current gen games then Smiley

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 12:35:20 PM »

Once stuff is download only I will be saving a lot of money since I wont be buying current gen games then Smiley

Lol,  I know, right?

That's one of the big reasons I can't get into my Steam library as much as my console library.  There is nothing to display, just a big list of titles that I own. 

When the Fallout 3 DLC was release on the 360, they released them on discs and that's how I bought them just so I could have the physical media in the collection.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 12:49:58 PM »

Personally I could really care less about this. Call me if they decide to add a cartridge slot.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 12:53:35 PM »

Personally I could really care less about this. Call me if they decide to add a cartridge slot.

Lol, I should have known better than to post this in a retro games forum.

OK, so, they have been picked up by Sega so it will have the big Sega logo right on top, it will have a multi slot that will accept master system, Genesis, and 32X games, and the optical drive reads Sega cd, Saturn and Dreamcast.

ALSO, the multi-cart adapter will play Famicom, NES, SNES, Genesis, and 2600 games.

NOW who is getting one? Wink

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »

Lol,  I know, right?

That's one of the big reasons I can't get into my Steam library as much as my console library.  There is nothing to display, just a big list of titles that I own. 

When the Fallout 3 DLC was release on the 360, they released them on discs and that's how I bought them just so I could have the physical media in the collection.

I have a folder in my collection tool here on RFG for Xbox 360 DLC Retial discs Smiley. It has 15 items listed.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 01:03:21 PM »

This is...  very interesting.  I think just about anything that can come into the market and shake up the monkey tree we have now is interesting, but whether or not this could be it is up in the air.  More than anything it will be funny to see the reactions of the "Big 3" as well as the "other" contenders (Valve and Apple).  The creaters of the system have also showed a preference for traditional controllers over touch controls, which interests me greatly.  I too feel that many of the iOS and Android games would be more fun with a controller.

While provocative I do have some reservations about it:

1) The obvious question of support, which is partially alleviated by the amount of people who have bought developer kits (350 at this time).  Sure that isn't a lot in relation to the amount of people who develop on the mobile platforms, but considering that the cheapest kit was $699...

2) As a open-minded gamer this console has me intrigued, as a collector this system holds no interest for me.  No mention of physical gaming media + collector's editions (no possibility of box variations) = no shelf space.

3) I'm afraid the overall gaming expereience available on the system will be lower.  This stems from the promise of a hackable platform (if they can sustain that), the Android OS, and a touchpad, as well as their promise of free content available in all games.  This smacks a bit of mobile gaming stores, which are littered with crap.

Overall I am very curious, just not curious enough to buy into it now. Instead I will watch the progress of this machine closely.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »

Very well put.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »

OK, so, they have been picked up by Sega so it will have the big Sega logo right on top, it will have a multi slot that will accept master system, Genesis, and 32X games, and the optical drive reads Sega cd, Saturn and Dreamcast.

ALSO, the multi-cart adapter will play Famicom, NES, SNES, Genesis, and 2600 games.

I'd be so in if they went back to carts!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »

It's not so much retro as it is non-collectable.  Lol, but you should have know better.  I used to write a bunch of articles about PC stuff (old and new, physical and digital) and some indie games, but I've never published them here.  Why?  Because very few people care about that sort of thing on this website, and that's fine.  This is a website dedicated to collecting video games, after all, and while I love Steam and GoG and for their awesome value and service, looking over games in my Steam library isn't as cool as going down to the pit and going over my old PC games.

I am extremely glad that you chose to post that info on this thread, though, as I haven't been in the loop as far as cool Kickstarter stuff goes.  Thanks for that.

- Han Solo
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »

so where ARE you writing such things bomba?

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »

My main PC outlet is Giantbomb (whom love their PC games) though I've used to publish on both my old blog and my blog on 1up.  Haven't done anything in a while except idea-scribbling lately, due to loads of work and trying to find a new job.

- Han Solo
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »

Even though we may not love the thing, doesn't mean we don't appreciate the head's up on its existence. I had never heard of it before and may not have otherwise for months, years, or ever if you didn't post this. Its good for us collectors to know what's going on today because today's gadgets become tomorrow's collectibles.

And this new version sounds intriguing. Is it still $99 and will it be region-free? And I can't believe they didn't give it N64 support. That's probably a deal breaker for me.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »

It looks like they have a limit of 80,000 units at $99.  Not sure whether the price will go up slightly after that or if they will just add another 80,000 units at that price.  As of right now, about 22,000 still available at that price.

That "new version" only exists in my mind.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 02:41:45 PM »

That "new version" only exists in my mind.

Here's to hope, right?  Plus, it's made to be hacked, so one can imagine the possibilities.  Crap, I remember the day that I learned that my C64 Plug N Play is basically a functional (once tweaked a bit) C64.

- Han Solo
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 03:39:14 PM »

No TurboGrafx support? What a hunk of junk.

Seriously though, I don't think this is necessarily a retro site, but it is a collector site. It sounds like there is nothing to collect here but dust.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length