RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 03:40:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | What is up with the NHL? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What is up with the NHL?  (Read 6670 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: December 12, 2004, 08:30:01 PM »

What is up with the NHL?  I was just looking at Fantasy Hockey on Yahoo and it said the following:

Registration is currently closed, but we will begin accepting sign-ups if the current labor situation is resolved and new dates for the season are announced.

I guess that since I live in Cincinnati, I missed the whole labor dispute, which appears to have started a long time ago.  What is the situation with all of this?

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 07:13:11 AM »

it goes something like this:

1-collective bargaining agreement expired

2-owners want a salary cap

3-players union does not

4-players are "locked out" till a new collective bargaining agreement can be reached.

5-this ain't gonna happen till both sides budge on points 2 & 3, which ain't gonna happen either

6- Gary Bettman (NHL President) = DICK

7-Bob Goodenow (NHLPA) = DICK

all this results in no hockey.

you live in Cincinnatti and missed the whole labor dispute issue. the sad thing is there are a LOT of folks in cities that have NHL franchises that didn't notice either.

unless both sides wake up and figure out they are not as popular as they think the NHL will die.

...and no one will notice.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 07:14:28 AM by den68 » Logged

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 08:24:00 AM »

Well, minor league hockey is still going on, isn't it?  We used to have two teams here (the Cyclones and Mighty Ducks).  The Cyclones have been gone as of a year or two ago, but I thought the Mighty Ducks were playing already.  I've seen some commercials for their games, anyway.

Around when did all of this start?  I was actually thinking about making the trip to Columbus for a game or two this year, but I guess that plan has been axed.  I'll have to just stick to Miami and Ohio State hockey unless this is all resolved.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 12:36:08 PM »

the collective bargaining agreement expired at the end of last season and it was pretty much assumed that there would be a lengthy lockout. Bettman and the owners are trying to force a salary cap and the players union wants no part of a cap of any kind. I'd say this season is lost. they've only officially cancelled all games up to and including the All-Star game but I think they're done.

it's sad really. the NHL is not a top tier sports attraction most places. sure it's huge in Detroit but most places it's behind the NFL, NBA and MLB. they don't have the popularity to survive a lengthy work stoppage. sure they will play again one day but it will take the NHL a lot longer to recover it's lost fan base than the MLB did. even in Detroit which touts itself as Hockeytown there has been very little outcry. nobody really cares.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 12:57:06 PM »

That really blows.  I always liked hockey, but in a city that almost completely ignores it, it's hard to really follow any particular teams.  Sure, I could check online, but it's not the same as pulling the sports page out and being able to talk about it with other people in Cincinnati.  The other big problem is that the games are never, ever, ever on local TV.  ESPN covers some games, but that's pretty limited.  I always liked the Flyers, but it's not like I can expect even 20% of their games to get TV coverage in Cincinnati (counting cable channels).

I'm sure you're more bummed about this than I am, but it does totally suck.  Do you know anything about minor league hockey?  Are all of those leagues still planying?

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 06:41:24 AM »

Yeah, all minor league hockey is still playing since they have a different agreement than the NHL.  

I've heard some rumors from both sides that after this fing debacle, the NHL might drop some teams entirely.  The NHL really needs to get thier collective heads out of thier asses.  They might be able to survive missing this season, but this is setting the entire sport back ten years.  Hell, I bet if you go up to any average American, they couldn't even tell you what the rules were in hockey.  That isn't a sign of a sport that can afford not to play.

Something else that seems to be ignored is the financial impact that it is having on cities that actually do turn out the fans.  The city of Detroit loses out on somewhere around $50 million dollars everytime a game is missed, not to mention the stadium staff that aren't getting payed.  Fuck you NHL.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 08:34:13 AM »

Jesus.  I'm sure Detroit (and every other NHL town) could use the revenue, too.  Do you have any minor league teams up there that might get an increased interest?  Of our two teams, I was always more of a Cyclones fan, but unfortunately they're gone now and all we have left is the Mighty Ducks.  For some reason, the idea of a Disney hockey team going NHL/AHL/IHL never really appealed to me.  Ah well.  

I guess this also means no hockey video games this year....  unless they decide to make minor league players stars.  (HA!)

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 08:40:45 AM »

Funny thing is I am a hockey fan and don't really care about the lock out.  :-/ Sure I miss hockey but if this is what it takes for the NHL to get better then so be it. Drop some teams, change some rules back to what they use to be and INCEASE THE SCORING!!!!! Then hockey will kick ass again.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 08:49:30 AM »

locally they have really been pushing a team called the Motor City Mechanics. They play in something called the UHL whatever the hell that is. I know they are coached by former Red Wing Gary Unger but I couldn't tell you who's on the team.

We also have the Grand Rapids Griffins which is the Red Wings minor league affiliate.

The Plymouth Whalers, that's junior hockey though not pro.

And of course a crapload of college hockey, U of M, MSU, Western, Lake Superior State.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 04:43:58 AM »

latest news this morning is that both sides rejected each others latest proposals and talks have broken off.

I shall second Sauza's "fuck you NHL."

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 08:00:27 AM »

I heard that on the news this morning.

I third the f you NHL!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: