RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:04:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | Bill Bellichick 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Bill Bellichick  (Read 5416 times)
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« on: October 29, 2007, 08:07:52 AM »

After yesterday's 52-7 "display" against Washington, what are everyone's thoughts on Bellichick?

Personally, I used to like the Pats. But now, not so much. I've come to despise them as much as I despise Dallas. So obviously, a Pats-Cowboys Super Bowl would be my worst nightmare.

I've never been a proponent of running up the score.

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:02:17 AM »

People will start to dislike the Pats because they keep winning. Of course you'll get the bandwagon fans as well Roll Eyes

I am a Cowboys fan, and I like the fact that my team is "hated". It means that they won enough to be disliked Smiley

On topic: While running up the score may seem like poor sportsmanship, they have been taking Brady out after 40 point leads. laugh And I believe you should keep playing the game even though you are up by a specific amount. Don't go out there and hurt somebody else while beating them soundly, but continue to play hard.

Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 11:08:40 AM »

There is no running up the score in pro sports.  No feelings should be hurt.  You're paid to do the best job you can. 

In the pros, running up the score could help you in the end.  Tiebreakers (after about 7 factors) could rely on how many points you've scored. 

I'm a Bills fan, and therefore shouldn't like the Pats, but I honestly do.  I think Bellichick did the right thing.

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 02:49:52 PM »

There is no running up the score in pro sports.  No feelings should be hurt.  You're paid to do the best job you can. 

I agree.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 03:44:37 PM »

For the other 3 major sports (baseball, basketball, and hockey), I would agree that there's no such thing as running up the score.

Of those 3, basketball could be the only sport where there might be some argument about having starters in the game when you're up by 30 with under 2 minutes to play.

Football, however, is somewhat different in this regard, because it's a sport where being on offense a team can control time management more than the others. For example, with a 40 second play clock, if no timeouts are called, the offense can kill over 2 minutes just by rushing the football or taking a knee 3 times. By that measurement, if the outcome of the game is already established as a win or loss, what's the purpose of trying to score even more points and/or passing the ball (which could stop the clock with an incompletion)? One could come to the conclusion that it's out of vanity or a desire to further humiliate an opponent for whatever reason. Which is especially true if you still have your starters in the game that's already going to be a blowout win if you're far into the 4th quarter.

Further, to keep starters in such a blowout game at a professional level and risk injury by not running out the clock through rushing more often seems careless.

And by knowing that an owner is paying these guys millions of dollars to win games throughout the course of an entire season, when a game's outcome is not in doubt, why risk the health of your players? If I was an owner I'd be pissed if they were in there! If Brady would've gotten an injury to keep him out for a significant stretch of the season, the Pats would be screwed!

Just run out the clock to take your win, be a good sport, and get ready for your next opponent. That's what coaches in all sports should do, but I don't perceive Bellichick to be doing that.

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 03:46:33 PM »

In the pros, running up the score could help you in the end.  Tiebreakers (after about 7 factors) could rely on how many points you've scored. 

I'm a Bills fan, and therefore shouldn't like the Pats, but I honestly do.  I think Bellichick did the right thing.

Ken

Exactly my feelings. They are adults getting paid millions of dollars. I'm sorry, but I am not going to feel bad..

If you want top keep them from running the score up, stop them from scoring.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 04:42:17 PM »

I heard the Pats played all three Qb's. when did each one go in? If the back up scores a few times is that still running up the score?

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:17:45 PM »

I heard the Pats played all three Qb's. when did each one go in? If the back up scores a few times is that still running up the score?

The backup QB (Matt Cassell) was 2 for 3 and rushed for a TD to make it 52-0 with less than 6 minutes to play. He only accounted for the last TD of the Game. He went in when it was 45-0 with about 8 or 9 minutes left in the game.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 08:34:32 AM »

I didn't see the game so I can't really comment on it. I did however see a Pats game earlier in the season where they had a 4th and goal late in the 4th quarter when the game was out of reach. Rather than just kick a field goal Belichik went for it and got another TD. To me that's running up the score. Sure you have to play hard to the end and you can't try to NOT score but in that instance why not just kick the field goal? The game was in the bag already. Pounding in another TD is rubbing the other teams face in it. I'm sure Belichik would say it was a good opportunity to practice a 4th and goal play in a game situation. They might need it later when it would matter. Maybe, but it's still bush league.

Yes they are professionals making millions but it's still only a game and good sportsmanship should be displayed.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 11:55:55 AM »

If the "unwritten rules" in all sports are some damn important WRITE THEM DOWN. 

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:57:27 AM by Tynstar » Logged

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 09:27:24 PM »

IMO they are all pros.
They are all payed rediculous amounts and they are all supposed to be the best in the country.

If the team sucks that bad then maybe they should not be in the pros and should not be making millions a year(which i am against to begin with)

I have been a pats and cowboys fan for as long as i can remember (i was bred that way).

It would be awesome to see the Pats take home another trophy.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 08:14:48 AM »

^Just when you think you know someone.  Roll Eyes

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 12:21:45 PM »

Please explain.

I tend to not visit this forum for a reason but the title caught my attention lol

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 02:00:24 PM »

No problem. I'll PM ya.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 04:01:16 PM »

K gotcha.

Yea i'm not too big on sports but like i said i saw the title and it caught my attention.

More often then not when i am actively watching sports i am gambling on them...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 04:02:56 PM by Izret101 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length