RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 06:47:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | New Idea: Percentage of Library 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New Idea: Percentage of Library  (Read 1239 times)
dotDarkCloud (dDC)
Sega 32X
Canada

Stats

Champion of

« on: February 01, 2008, 10:27:36 AM »

I don't know if anyone has suggested this before, but for the hardcore collectors out there, a percentage of all the rfgeneration-known games that you own would be cool.

For example, say someone has 500 NA NES games, well then it would say that they have 34% of the known NA NES games.

I don't know, seems like a cool, yet simple feature. What do you think?

[img width=572 height=151]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa88/dotdarkcloud/dontforget.jpg[/img]

"...shut up, shut up, shut up.... You're all nuts! Shut up! Let me talk. " - Free Waterfall Jr.
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:01:24 PM »

Actually this was a feature that was going to be included in the last collection update, but it turns out the queries were too intensive for the server to handle.  I'll have to look into it again now that we're on the new server to see if there's any better way to do it.  So as of right now, it's on the backburner, but I think somewhere down the line when we figure how to do it efficiently it will be an added feature.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Tan
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 05:44:33 PM »

Depending on personal preference though, this could be a misleading statistic. Demos, not for resale, player's choice, variations, limited editions etc are all a part of a system's library.

Take the North American NES for example. In the midst of all the North American released games, we have Canadian versions, Zelda gold versus grey cart versions etc etc. The newer the system the more variations and other types that inflate the total number, throwing off any accurate % listed. Europe even more so.

Xbox as a second example, has 790-ish released titles in it's lifespan in North America. We have 1119 listings in the NA section alone.  If you have 100 of those 790-ish official titles you have 12.6% of the Xbox collection, but only 8% of the Xbox NA listings in the database.
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 06:26:52 PM »

Depending on personal preference though, this could be a misleading statistic. Demos, not for resale, player's choice, variations, limited editions etc are all a part of a system's library.

I was thinking about that sort of thing too. Maybe there could be two percentages; one that includes variations and one that doesn't. That way someone who wants EVERYTHING will be able to see how far they are and someone who doesn't care about variations doesn't have a skewed percentage.

St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 06:37:59 PM »

The way I was going to do it ignored variations, but I assume you have have it list it either way.  I think most people would qualify a complete collection as one of each game, but then again there may be the hardcore collectors who want all the special editions and whatnot.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length