RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:15:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RGB (was: has anyone done the RGB mod on the NES or N64?) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RGB (was: has anyone done the RGB mod on the NES or N64?)  (Read 1613 times)
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« on: December 28, 2014, 11:32:27 PM »

If so, how difficult was it? It seems to me that the hardest part is just finding the actual parts, as they sell out so quickly. I heard the PlayChoice-10 mod for the NES isn't the best because it changes the color pallette.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:03:26 PM by gbpxl » Logged

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 09:19:17 AM »

I wrote an article on the N64 mod.  You can check it out here http://www.rfgeneration.c...64-to-Output-RGB-2611.php

I sell the pre-wired amps for the N64 if you don't want to build it yourself.

For a while, The PlayChoice 10 mod (using the PPU from the PlayChoice 10 arcade motherboard) was the only option you had if you want to RGB mod the NES.  The palette does change but it's not drastic.  The real problem is that the PC10 PPU and the parts needed for the mod are expensive. 

Have you heard of NESRGB?  Check it out.  It uses the existing NES PPU to get true RGB output and it costs around $100.  http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 11:30:57 PM »

yeah and I saw they had stock the other day. i'm behind on bills right now so it'll be a while before I can do the mod, but I might take some pics and do a write-up on the results.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 07:07:18 PM »

I just purchased a Sony brand SCART cable (for PlayStations(s) obviously). It wasn't cheap but it was the only one I could find on the interwebs and I searched quite a bit. It seems to be one of the rarest, most expensive cables for video games, moreso than the component GameCube cable.

I noticed that quite a few SCART cables being sold on eBay only "simulate" RGB, meaning they are outputting composite signal. I hope buyers are aware of this. I think the s-video cable I bought did the same thing although on my old CRT, I don't know if you could even really see a difference.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 07:20:16 PM »

I've never heard of a cable simulating a signal.  As long as the av out on the hardware is capable of outputting rgb, it should be true RGB with a scart cable.  Do the cable listings on eBay mention that they are only simulating rgb?  Also, which rgb monitor are you using?  I haven't been able to find anything bigger than 13" near me:(

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 07:50:07 PM »

I've never heard of a cable simulating a signal.  As long as the av out on the hardware is capable of outputting rgb, it should be true RGB with a scart cable.  Do the cable listings on eBay mention that they are only simulating rgb?  Also, which rgb monitor are you using?  I haven't been able to find anything bigger than 13" near me:(

I'm not using an RGB monitor, I just use a scaler.

the listing said that it didn't put out RGB, only composite. >>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/S...0&hash=item3a91d9b0d1
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:52:58 PM by gbpxl » Logged

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:50:32 PM »

SCART can output RGB, Composite or S-Video, depending on the pins used.
Does the connector have all the pins? Actually, sometimes they have all the pins but they aren't connected to anything.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:52:06 PM by mumboking » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length