RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 03:14:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | June Retro Community Playthrough - Suikoden 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: June Retro Community Playthrough - Suikoden  (Read 33014 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2014, 09:11:43 AM »

Having a bit of trouble with the Zombie Dragon at the castle. I assume that I'm not underleveled (lvl 17), but more than likely, I need better gear since I am taking pretty heavy damage. Losing too many members early on it seems even though I'm popping potions. And yes, I am using the fire rune abilities with Cleo. Doh! NEED MORE SHOULDER PADS.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2014, 11:54:55 AM »

I just passed the week 2 checkpoint last night.  Like I said before, the amount of options you have in terms of forming your party is pretty overwhelming, but it helps a lot that the game forces certain characters on you (even if it is kinda annoying sometimes).  I'm also leaving Pahn in my group for now as per the spoilers above, but he's getting the boot as soon as that's over.

So what characters are you guys rolling with mostly?  I hear Kirkis paired with another elf (I'd probably go with Sylvina) is a pretty good combo.  Valeria also seems pretty badass.  I just recruited Flik, is he a worthy endgame character?

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »

You might want some better armor and check in at the blacksmith to make sure everybody's weapons are as sharp as you can get them. Have Viktor use his Boar Attack and heal when he's unbalanced. Gremio is a good dedicated healer since hes slow and his attacks suck.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2014, 10:36:41 PM »

Having a bit of trouble with the Zombie Dragon at the castle. I assume that I'm not underleveled (lvl 17), but more than likely, I need better gear since I am taking pretty heavy damage. Losing too many members early on it seems even though I'm popping potions. And yes, I am using the fire rune abilities with Cleo. Doh! NEED MORE SHOULDER PADS.

I struggled with that as well. Died twice before beating it, ended the battle with Tir alone, and I think he only survived because he had four water runes equipped and was getting back 20 hp at the beginning of every turn.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2014, 08:32:55 AM »

Put in a few more hours last night. Upgraded my armor and pretty handily defeated the Zombie Dragon. Castle Krull acquired! I also ran around for a while and up to around 30 recruits.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »

So just a little commentary on the game so far.

PROS: I'm really digging the story line. A little Star Warsy, but that's okay. It's fresh and keeps me wanting to play more. I've just begun the recruiting phase, which I enjoy and yeah, I'm probably going to try and collect them all and set everything up for Suikoden II. I like the battle screen and unlike MSS (thankfully!) the battles are quick and painless (excluding boss battles of course). I love the evolution of the castle. It's cool that some characters relocated and it's fun to watch the improvements and additional options.

CONS: As someone else mentioned, I too am not a fan of the weapons and equipment system. However, I do like the implementation of "sharpening." With the multitude of characters, it's hard to keep up with and I wish that gear would just transfer to new parties. The use of runes and the best way to use them is a bit lacking in description. I broke out my manual last night and wouldn't you know it, there are some tips in there. Good to know. Also, the dice game SUCKS!

These few gripes are minuscule. I am very much enjoying my experience with this game.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2014, 02:04:22 PM »

I think I am too far into the game. ha ha. I don't exactly remember what happened before or after the second checkpoint, and what is safe to talk about. But I am definitely more into this game in the middle and the end than I was to begin with.

The game does so much more than just being an RPG, and if I had played it in '96 when it came out, I would have been AMAZED with the additional stuff you do that I have never seen in an RPG before. Also, this game seems so much shorter than many of the other RPG's I have played in the past. I couldn't say for sure though if it is shorter; since I have spent too many hours changing parties and travelling to meet the requirements to find new recruits.

Finding recruits isn't as hard or as time consuming as I thought it would be, you pretty much know whether or not someone will be a potential recruit by the way the look or talk, it is sometimes just a matter of determining which character you already have that needs to be with you to grab them. Sometimes the dialog helps with that, other times, you are left guessing.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2014, 08:03:49 AM »

I caught up last night and reached the 2nd checkpoint. I'm really enjoying the alternate combat sequences, though there seems to be a lot of luck involved in them at times. We can of course discuss these further after Week 2 is up. Really enjoying this game and even had to make myself walk away last night last night to watch the first match of the World Cup I had recorded. That's saying a lot. Smiley

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2014, 07:41:54 PM »

Finished the game and only had to bust one sac buddy on the final boss!

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »

A running joke in the series that started in this game with Viktor actually became a character in Suikoden IV. Schtolteheim Reinbach III

[img width=248 height=463]http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100328140755/suikoden/images/thumb/c/cd/Reinbach01.jpg/248px-Reinbach01.jpg[/img]

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2014, 09:15:19 PM »

Haha! I thought about picking Reinbach IV for my name but I chose Masamune.
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2014, 10:53:11 PM »

"Hey, Giant Woman" -- I couldn't resist sharing this quote. ha ha ha

A running joke in the series that started in this game with Viktor actually became a character in Suikoden IV. Schtolteheim Reinbach III

Is it just a fun throwback, or is there some connection explained from Viktor's past that ties the two together?

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2014, 09:57:23 AM »

Their existence is separated by a few hundred years.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2014, 11:05:55 PM »

[img width=700 height=393]http://i.imgur.com/i2AmRyd.jpg[/img]

Couldnt stop my self Smiley and found all 108 stars of destiny

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2014, 12:26:40 AM »

I have also found myself speeding through the game. I died three times trying to beat Neclord. There is a pretty obvious method that I had to backtrack to complete in order to defeat him, but I will save specifics on what I did for the end of week three if there is discussion on that battle.

I have tried to do it purely and get all 108 on my own without any guides or anything, but I am missing quite a few and may need to look a few of them up to make sure I get a perfect save; currently, I have 88 stars on the board when I count.

I found a few Unite attacks I wanted to comment on, but will still leave a spoiler tag in case some of the characters are not found before the week two checkpoint.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length