RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:12:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | need some new shelves I think... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: need some new shelves I think...  (Read 2055 times)
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« on: October 10, 2012, 08:52:14 AM »

so I'm currently using an Ikea Billy for my games, with four shelves. Top shelf fits CD-sized cases. 2nd can fit DVD's. Third and fourth can fit DVD's and Sega CD/Saturn/PS1 longboxes.

I'm thinking of getting a second shelving unit that can actually fit like four rows of longboxes. Anyone know a good, cheap unit that fits this criteria? I'm hoping there's like a nice looking DVD cabinet that has shelves that just happen to be tall enough to fit longboxes.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:12:41 AM by noiseredux » Logged

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »

Its actually surprisingly easy to build your own shelves to suit the exact needs you might have. If you have a friend that can help you out with tools, knowledge and a workspace I'd recommend doing it that way.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:13:39 AM »

yeah. I'm pretty terrible at such things. My father-in-law is very crafty, but he's got a lot of home projects going on now. Really hoping to just nab something from Target or Walmart or something and calling it a day haha.

Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 10:05:17 AM »

yeah. I'm pretty terrible at such things. My father-in-law is very crafty, but he's got a lot of home projects going on now. Really hoping to just nab something from Target or Walmart or something and calling it a day haha.
Wal-mart has some 'media shelves' that might fit your needs for around $27ish.

Some folks on Nintendoage seem to really like them. There's a few pics in this thread over there: http://nintendoage.com/fo...adid=86253&StartRow=1

I'll still second the notion of building your own sometime. Maybe get your father-in-law to give you some pointers when he's not busy? Shelves are some of the easiest stuff you can build, I suck with wood too and even I can put some mediocre shelves together.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 10:12:55 AM »

I had never made anything myself before doing my shelves. I simply had a buddy supervise me and help me plan the process. Its also a nice bonding experience with your helper Smiley

With that said I just recently made a shelving purchase, but I wont have them at home until early November. I'm pretty excited to post some pics once I have them though. Let us know what you end up with. I'm curious to know what works well for longboxes myself.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 11:59:06 AM »

I don't have any longboxes, so I'm not sure if they differ in height from DVD cases, but these are the two shelves that hold most of whats is left of my game collection.

[img width=577 height=1024]http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae295/blcklblskt/2012-10-10_12-53-24_161.jpg[/img]

They are the 5 shelf bookcase (or something like that) from Target, and they were around $25-30.  Four of the shelves are adjustable, but as you can see, they aren't all DVD-sized in height.  I did have to "lift" the top shelf a bit (using pieces of cardboard Smiley) so that I could fit everything, but they work well for the price.  Relatively sturdy and cheap.  But, like Crabby said, building your own shelves is the best bet.  I am just to lazy to do it, so these work fine for now. Grin
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »

yeah the problem is longboxes are taller than DVD's. So unless the DVD shelves happen to have *enough* extra height then it's no good. That's why 2 of my current shelves now can hold longboxes, but the third shelf is a little lower, so it can fit DVD's but not longboxes. :\

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:53:16 PM »

noise, I have the same shelves you're mentioning from Walmart, and ran into the same issue. Your best bet would be to use the Billy/Besta shelves from IKEA, since they're close to the same price as the crappy Walmart ones (and cheaper than the Target ones), and you can fully extend your shelf size however you want.

I prefer the Besta shelves than the Billy shelves, personally. The Billy shelves don't feel as nice in quality, and my Besta shelves survived a huge flood because they were sealed (I don't believe the Billy shelves are). Also, you can add nice lighting and doors to the shelves later should you choose to do so, and even doll them up to look like official display cabinets should you choose to.

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »

Shadow, I'm currently using Billy... but do you have a link to the Besta ones you're talking about? That sounds like what I'm really after.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=besta

Unfortunately, I don't know if I have any of my old photos up when I had the cabinets setup with lighting, or when I had them setup with various glass door setups. Right now, all of my shelves were actually given to my in-laws and I had planned on replacing them with a Tupperware shelving solution from a friend, though money dried up for that real quick.  :'(

In the meantime, I think I'll grab some tools and make my own to get everything off the floor. I'm decently handy and I've made shelves in the past, so it shouldn't take too long.

EDIT: Here's one I could find, during the move transition:

The important thing to note is that you'll have enough shelving for 6 rows of longboxes + a large 7th for consoles or just more longboxes. I think they get 9 for NES-sized. Also, that's not even 1/4 of the crap I own. Most of the boxes (I think they ended up counting ~140 on the move) are to the left and right. Bonus points for identifying the Sega CD titles.

EDIT EDIT: Just for SnG's, I found this photo of the entrance to that room. Heheheh... You wanted a glimpse of how many strategy guides I owned? Just look at the shelf almost breaking under the weight, per shelf. THAT's why Walmart shelves suck.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 02:30:13 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »

oh THOSE are Besta's? Then I think I have one of those too. Sadly it's in rough shape -- it was a hand-me-down and it's kind of beat up. So I keep that one in my back hall and it's been used for "overstock" game stuff mostly.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 05:23:57 PM »

I just want to point out that my 5-shelf unit is specifically meant for DVDs, CDs, etc.  Shadow, I also have the Target version of that larger 5-shelf unit in your last picture.  It is definitely not meant to hold heavy stuff.  I had about 5 N64s and three GameCubes on the top shelf, and it started to sag pretty badly.  I vaguely recall seeing weight limits in the instruction manual for it, and they weren't very high...
ericmm
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 06:26:40 PM »

I can't recommend the Ikea Billy Bookshelf enough. It's a great piece. I'm gonna have to get another one soon! (NES CARTS are flooding the shelves.)   Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length