RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 10:13:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | game boxes what happens to them 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: game boxes what happens to them  (Read 3571 times)
wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« on: July 11, 2006, 10:20:01 PM »

I could never understand why I find so many loose genesis games  as well as others...I can see when the games came in cardboard boxes how the carts would end up loose...lot of boxes probally got ripped to shreds when opened..but genesis games came in nice plastic boxes but i still will run across 50 loose carts to every one that is still in the case..does everyone else run across more loose genesis games than boxed.

need last 3 nes items  chubby cherub box, stadium event manual and complete myriad
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 11:00:58 PM »

I see more loose then boxed. Lots of store throw the boxes away becasue they take up too much space. For CD games people put them in CD folders and throw away the rest.

Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 10:50:12 AM »

It's a space thing for sure. Especially in stores where they need to cram as much product per sq ft as possible.

The only boxes I've ever thrown away were my GB games. I had to though because the were ruined, otherwise I'd have kept them.

Slowly building an ammo fort.
atari_wizard
Sega Master System
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 11:40:53 AM »

When I was a kid, all cardboard boxes went bye, bye...however, I always kept the manual for the NES. My atari 2600 manuals were unwanted due to me being cocky..."I don't need a manual to learn how to play". lol.  =( I didn't know any better. All my sega genesis games had their cases, I loved the way they looked on my shelf. It's a shame that SMS & Genny titles are missing their boxes and manuals. This makes it much more difficult to find a complete set, unless your using eBay.

Have you played Pitfall II today?

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/atari_wizard.png[/img]
David_J.
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 02:23:20 PM »

When I was a kid, I never cared about Genesis manuals and cases, so some of them got lost. I still don't care, unless if it was a fighting game, or complex like Herzog Zwei.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 02:38:37 PM »

I never tossed any of my stuff.
It either got tossed by an adult, lost in a move, stolen, sold without my permission, etc.

Since i am going to be in a money crunch for awhile i plan on starting to condense my collection(Cry)
I'll be trying to first aquire boxes/manuals for certain games i really like or a hard to come across and then selling alot of loose stuff.

And i see more loose games than i do complete for all cart based systems and a good portion of the CD based.

Kevincal
Donor
United States
Awards: RFG Promoter

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 07:25:21 PM »

With my NES I think my mom probably tossed the boxes.  Starting with the Genesis I was sure to keep the boxes and have ever since.  Now I'm to the point where if I get a game shrinkwrapped I cut a slit just big enough to get the game out, except of course for DVD games/boxes, although I guess it's possible.

Cherish the most important things in life, your health & family.
wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 10:35:24 PM »

i save the box to everything including tools 

need last 3 nes items  chubby cherub box, stadium event manual and complete myriad
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 11:25:27 PM »

With my NES I think my mom probably tossed the boxes.  Starting with the Genesis I was sure to keep the boxes and have ever since.  Now I'm to the point where if I get a game shrinkwrapped I cut a slit just big enough to get the game out, except of course for DVD games/boxes, although I guess it's possible.

I do the same thing.
I still have the shrink wrap for alot of the games i bought in the last 4ish months stuffed into a little container.
I should probably just throw them out since it is pointless to have them but as it stands now they arn't taking up needed space and i don't feel like it.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 01:04:57 AM »

If the shrink wrap is opened I usually rip it off.

INVOK3R
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 11:15:20 PM »

Same here... off with the plastic if it open.

Otherwise... I've managed to stumble on 3 different garage sales this summer where the past owners' of a NES still had complete set for each game...

Gotta love getting Bubble Bobble technically brand new... except it didn't have the plastic of course.

Play in your world... Die in mine!
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 08:58:27 PM »

I also find a lot of loose stuff.  Personally, I always kept everything as mint as possible.  Even as a kid, the games were used regularly but never abused, and just about all of the games from back in the day still have their boxes, manuals, inserts, etc.  I guess I've always been a bit of a collector Wink

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 06:49:26 AM »

I saved everything, even when I was a kid.  I had to keep the box and keep it in good condition.  Boy I'm sure glad I did that!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
vash_san
N-Gage
Netherlands

Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 04:46:28 AM »

I still have all the boxes of games I bought new. I always removed the plastic wrappers from the boxes, I'm not some kind of NRFB nut. If I buy a game I want to play it, not just display it. A lot has changed since they got those DVD cases for games nowadays. In the old days it was a lot harder to keep my boxes nice.
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 07:23:44 AM »

I have always keeped everything for my games in the best condition possable as they were just too expensive to throw away and its nice to have a compleat thing.

As for shopd throwing away the boxes that doesnt really happen here in England as a loose game is normally worth about a 1/4 the price of a CIB one, the only exception to this rule seams to be Gameboy games as Gamestation (a biggish chain) try to rip people off for loose GB stuff

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length