RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:19:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | YaBB Questions Answered 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: YaBB Questions Answered  (Read 8556 times)
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« on: June 27, 2004, 01:14:50 PM »

I was asked privately about the security of the board. In case anyone else shares the same concerns I'm happy to address them girl

ACCOUNTS:
All accounts that were at the old board Mike set up were moved when he moved his old board. Nobody viewed user info such as passwords, e-mails, anything of that nature nor will we. That is YOUR personal info. How was it transferred then you ask? That information is kept by the app itself. The files were copied over without any information being viewed.

E-MAILS:
Only the administrator can send notices through the board (you receive those from mcollins@rfgeneration) but they are actually sent through the app and not from the administrator's personal e-mail. That address shows up because it's programmed into the board as the reply address. If you have your private message notification turned on you'll receive an e-mail with the contents of the private message. It will have the username of the person who sent you the message but the reply address on the e-mail will be that of the administrator. This is an additional measure to protect your privacy.

YABB GENERAL:
We chose YABB because it's more flexible and secure than any php app. I once set up a phpBB2 board for a Quake III community and it was hacked. With certain apps that use a mysql database the settings required for the frontend are a lot more liberal in terms of security.

That aside, there was an issue with the server in general that wouldn't allow cookies to register properly. This caused my old board as well as the main site (Zhrodague) not to update properly. A user had to refresh each and every page manually in order to see changes posted since their last visit. The cause of the issue was eventually traced to a gaping hole in the Zhro-nuke app which was then patched but too little too late.

Backups are made quite often but more than likely only be needed in the instance of human (administrator) error. Problems with the board will never bring down the entire site as the two are seperate entities and can be repaired with ease in a manner of minutes (seconds in some cases).

Board modifications and add-ons are tested prior to  public release to ensure that they are right for our users' needs and aren't going to cause an unwelcome ruckus...lol

This is a perl app and it is flexible. If you can dream up an idea for a mod, more than likely it is possible to create. Did I mention Eddie Herrmann is a perl whiz  banana

Have a question that isn't addressed here? Ask!

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length