RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:47:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | 2D gameplay revival 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 2D gameplay revival  (Read 3164 times)
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 08:16:26 PM »

Man, when was the last big name cartoon movie to be released? Sadly the last one I can think of was Spongebob. Everything else is Pixaresque.
The next one is Princess and the Frog which is coming out late next year. It's Disney's first traditionally animated film since 2004, and oh god does it look great.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 09:28:20 PM »

I didn't know you were a Strongbad fan Tondog,
I also didn't know Disney were making a new animated feature, I'm definitely interested.

Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 01:16:48 AM »

You know, a lot of Flash based games are 2D. People tend to dismiss them as they're amateur works, but some are really worth the while.

I'll also add there are a lot of point/click/adventure style games too, among those.

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 05:20:53 AM »

Man, when was the last big name cartoon movie to be released? Sadly the last one I can think of was Spongebob. Everything else is Pixaresque.
The next one is Princess and the Frog which is coming out late next year. It's Disney's first traditionally animated film since 2004, and oh god does it look great.
Just watched the teaser on YouTube, looks great indeed! Smiley

[*RANT*]

There apparently has already been a controversy about this movie. I don't believe it... A controversy about a Disney movie???

The original princess had a darker skin, was named the "not-so-prestine" name Maddy and was a chambermaid. Now I'm not trying to point fingers here, but if it were a white princess, there'd be no controversy at all.
I understand how darker skinned persons were mistreated in the past but they shouldn't be oversensitive about everything. The word "racism" or "racist" is being yelled at anyone or anything even only slightly related to something that could be racism, it's rediculous. White people have to be careful these days just to look at a darker-skinned person or they're immediately branded racists.

These days people complain over even the smallest of things, it's a Disney movie for christ sake!!! Angry

[*/RANT*]

Sorry for the rant, I just feel that there have been too many "racist" controversies lately about things that aren't racist at all.

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 05:47:39 AM »

This whole political correctness crap is a joke. Last year there were complaints of Santa saying ho ho ho is offensive to women.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 09:06:37 AM »

Last year there were complaints of Santa saying ho ho ho is offensive to women.
That's rediculous and probably even stupider than the Disney one.
NayusDante
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 10:47:03 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it CHEAPER to do a CG movie now? Same with flash stuff.

2D gaming seems to be following a similar trend. Vector-based rendering is used more often than frame-animated sprites. Technically, a lot of these "2D" games are just 3D games with the objects being flat. Instead of Mode7, they just use the GPU rotation and scaling functions.

And "traditional anime" is getting less common. Today's stuff looks too photoshopped.

2D ARTWORK is better than ever, but it's not implemented the way we remember it.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 10:52:08 PM »

Not only does 3D cost a LOT less, it was commented in the making of The Prince of Egypt that a scene that would of taken 9 months can be reduced to 3 weeks.

So time and money are pretty much the factors.

NayusDante
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 11:07:55 PM »

Prince of Egypt gets away with CG, it's more than a few years old. Its visuals were ahead of their time, which is what I consider to be good animation. Bad animation is being complacent with current technology.

I don't care what it is, ANYTHING is better than typical 3D today. Heck, some crappy rotoscoping would be better in my opinion. Have some sense of style, not complacency.

Time and money are luxuries that only a few studios have, so the rest are forced to make do without. This should be seen as an opportunity to do something other than try to copy Pixar. Pixar has the backing, so their films are detailed and presentable as showcases of what current 3D technique can do. Anything less looks low-budget. There's so many styles of animation that everyone could be using, but they go for the "safe" option.

*Sigh* I suppose it's more important for them to profit than to produce something with artistic value.

Back on topic, games like Mega Man 9 and FF1-2 for PSP are interesting examples of how modern 2D gaming SHOULD be. MM9 recreates the original style, which was great back then, and works as an artistic statement now. FF1-2 were updated with higher resolution sprites, because the platform allows for it. Everything is still in tiles and frames of animation, not vectors.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 11:32:55 PM »

I agree that Prince of Egypt is a good example of CG done right, a lot of the hard work is still hand drawn, and they blended the CG in very well.

2D gameplay should never be phased out in my opinion as the two are just so different. Die Hard Arcade for example, while it pretty much was a 3D game, the gameplay was still very reminiscent of 2D games of its type, and I found it to be a LOT more enjoyable than the fully 3D Fighting Force.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 05:39:58 PM »

Back on topic, games like Mega Man 9 and FF1-2 for PSP are interesting examples of how modern 2D gaming SHOULD be. MM9 recreates the original style, which was great back then, and works as an artistic statement now. FF1-2 were updated with higher resolution sprites, because the platform allows for it. Everything is still in tiles and frames of animation, not vectors.
I completely agree.

Oh, the last normal animation movie I remember being released in the cinema was Brother Bear. I didn't go see it though.
NayusDante
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 06:09:59 PM »

There was some farm animal movie that I THINK was after Brother Bear, but I can't remember if it was canceled or not. They mentioned something in the trailer about "OMG RETURN TO TRADITIONAL ANIMATIONZORZ," but I don't think anybody cared. All I though was "that's what it should be anyway."

I'm not going to rant anymore on animation. I'm too much of a curmudgeon now and I don't see my complaining bringing about any change in the industry.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length