RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:41:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Board Game Night! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Board Game Night!  (Read 43112 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2014, 12:11:02 PM »

There are a few things in life that I'd like to accomplish at some point and one of those is designing and printing my own board game. About a year ago, I came up with a pretty great idea for one and have been gradually been working on it since. I have several friends who like to come over and play and there is an especially good and trusted friend who I have confided with on my idea. I've already hashed out a draft of a rule sheet, created some specialty dice, drawn up plans for a board, and even designed some cards for a prototype deck. I was stuck concerning one part of my game (the map movement) until about a week ago and once I figured that out, I have now hit full stride in finishing a prototype. This game is still very, very young and I know will change with multiple gameplay. My wife and I intend on playing it with my buddy and his wife (3-4 player game) several times until we feel it is good enough to share, and then maybe create some more prototypes to try out at a local board game night. Again, it's going to be some time before we get to this latter point, but if any of you guys are in game groups, I might consider letting some of you try it out so that I can get some feedback.  

Also, if anyone has created their own board game, or know someone who has, I'd like to bend your/their ear about cost and how to go about creating it. I have a buddy who teaches art at a college and I am trying to work at incorporating an art project with him for his students to find an artist for the game. My thought is that this would be the cheaper way to go and might help a student increase his/her portfolio. Interested to hear you guys thoughts on this.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2014, 12:22:11 PM »

I have a couple co-workers who are quite familiar with the process that I can ask.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2014, 12:27:38 PM »

I have a couple co-workers who are quite familiar with the process that I can ask.

That would be awesome! Any contact they might have or general ideas about how much funding I might need to start would be great.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2014, 04:05:46 PM »

There are a few things in life that I'd like to accomplish at some point and one of those is designing and printing my own board game. About a year ago, I came up with a pretty great idea for one and have been gradually been working on it since. I have several friends who like to come over and play and there is an especially good and trusted friend who I have confided with on my idea. I've already hashed out a draft of a rule sheet, created some specialty dice, drawn up plans for a board, and even designed some cards for a prototype deck. I was stuck concerning one part of my game (the map movement) until about a week ago and once I figured that out, I have now hit full stride in finishing a prototype. This game is still very, very young and I know will change with multiple gameplay. My wife and I intend on playing it with my buddy and his wife (3-4 player game) several times until we feel it is good enough to share, and then maybe create some more prototypes to try out at a local board game night. Again, it's going to be some time before we get to this latter point, but if any of you guys are in game groups, I might consider letting some of you try it out so that I can get some feedback. 

Also, if anyone has created their own board game, or know someone who has, I'd like to bend your/their ear about cost and how to go about creating it. I have a buddy who teaches art at a college and I am trying to work at incorporating an art project with him for his students to find an artist for the game. My thought is that this would be the cheaper way to go and might help a student increase his/her portfolio. Interested to hear you guys thoughts on this.

Ooh! Is it a pinball-based board game? What I wouldn't give to see that!

Meanwhile: I'm still playin' my electronic Advanced Missions Battleship game from time to time. And if there's anyone out there who's up for a little Scrabble or UpWords, please let me know. Don't be intimidated by the fact that I was my middle school's two-time spelling bee champ...
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2014, 04:07:47 PM »

Ha, ha! No, not pinball themed, but that's one hell of an idea. Smiley

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2014, 04:19:59 PM »

Ha, ha! No, not pinball themed, but that's one hell of an idea. Smiley

That really should be something you should take a shot at, just to see if it would work. Judging from what I heard in the latest CollectorCast, you'd be the best person to figure it out. Probably gonna need a Kickstarter campaign to fund such an endeavor, though.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2014, 04:21:35 PM »

Your roll would dictate the path taken by the ball.....hmmmm. Has some promise.

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2014, 04:56:15 PM »

Sounds very RPG'ish. Not sure it would work as turn-based one, and it might be too fast-paced to be RTS.

Would you have to do a roll for how many times you hit the pops at the top of the field, and a roll for how many points per hit?
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2014, 07:52:58 PM »

Touch base with the woman who just did(or tried to do) Cads Against Matrimony. (I read about it via twitter.) It was only a card game spoof of CAH so pricing would probably be different for a full blown board game but she seemed to have it all figured out. Believe she already had full prototypes and was just seeking funding for final printings.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2014, 02:12:13 PM »

Sounds very RPG'ish. Not sure it would work as turn-based one, and it might be too fast-paced to be RTS.

Would you have to do a roll for how many times you hit the pops at the top of the field, and a roll for how many points per hit?

We'll talk about this more off the record. If not, we might have to start sending out assassins.
[img width=486 height=394]http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/auberginefleur/imgs/a/f/afe23a03.jpg[/img]

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2014, 04:50:30 PM »

Touch base with the woman who just did(or tried to do) Cads Against Matrimony. (I read about it via twitter.) It was only a card game spoof of CAH so pricing would probably be different for a full blown board game but she seemed to have it all figured out. Believe she already had full prototypes and was just seeking funding for final printings.

A game for cads who are against matrimony? Count me in!
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2014, 05:05:37 PM »

Seriously Rich - just give me the board game version of the screenshot. I'd play that all day. I SPENT A SUMMER PLAYING THE NEUTERED SNES VERSION.

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »

Hey now,

Just picked up Stick the IRS, a locally-produced board game from the early '80s.

[img width=700 height=391]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y409/Zagnorch/irsgame1_zps3c5f0e34.jpg[/img]

[img width=500 height=555]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y409/Zagnorch/irsgame2_zps8cdf0119.jpg[/img]

While I thought the game's premise was novel, the object of sheltering as much of your income as possible from "the man" sounds like it'd make a boring game. But hey, who knows.

Oh, and another thing:

[img width=504 height=250]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y409/Zagnorch/irsgame3_zps4fe188ce.jpg[/img]

'Late
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2014, 10:12:09 PM »

Found this for $1.50, I was really hoping it was rarer, but only ranging between 20-30 bucks depending on condition. Everything is here and the box is in great shape, but there are a few stickers from all the stores it has been in over the years.

1965 original release Trouble board game

[img width=700 height=418]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m232/Scott_Breaze/WP_20140616_002_zps852f1d32.jpg[/img]

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »

That is an awesome box! Great find.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length