RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:11:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGeneration Archives | Weekly Poll 6/10/07 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Do you collect variants?
Yes, I collect all variants.   -5 (18.5%)
Only when they are at thrift stores.   -5 (18.5%)
No, one copy of a game is enough for me.   -13 (48.1%)
I only collect variants for certain systems.   -4 (14.8%)
Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Weekly Poll 6/10/07  (Read 6035 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« on: June 10, 2007, 11:43:56 AM »

Do you collect variants of games (i.e. Greatest Hits, Player's Choice, different colored games, etc.)?

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 11:59:44 AM »

I don't collect variants.

I've seen a few in shops and thought "I should get that because it's different" but then decided not to because I'm not that sort of collector. I do have a few variants. Like Speedball on the Master System. It had two different publishers and somehow I've got both of them. I also have two copies of Streets of Rage 2. One is PAL and one is NTSC, so that I can use one on my Nomad.

I have some different versions of consoles because they were either cheap or they were in a bundle. I like their different functions, though. Like the Mega CD 2 can be loaded without having to mess about in the menu while it's on. You can put the disc in, turn it on and it will load automatically. But that's not what the question was.
cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 12:39:48 PM »

Well, I selected for certain systems. But really it depends. I have two copies of Bible Adventures, 1 black and 1 blue. And some Tengen games.  And I would probably get the gray Zelda's. ( if I would ever come across one ).  So, yeah, I guess I voted right. Only for the NES.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 01:11:35 PM »

I voted no. I suppose if I ran across a deal I couldn't refuse then I'd consider it. But I usually only get 1 copy. Occasionally I'll pick up a 2nd, but only if it's supporting system link multiplayer.

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »

Getting variants is silly and a waste of money since I'm the type of person who just wants the game to play. I'd rather have a collection of more different titles than just variants. The only time I can see getting variants is if there's a series you really really like, or there's content differences between versions of the game (ex: Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition). But otherwise, I think it's ridiculous.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 02:04:47 PM by Tondog » Logged

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 03:49:37 PM »

If I happen to find a variation of a game, then I keep it.  But I don't go out looking for them. 

two_scoop_steve
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 03:56:59 PM »

1 copy is enough

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 05:43:54 PM »

nada.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Samada
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 05:57:23 PM »

Nope. I would however buy a varient if it was cheap enough and it was worth something.

Tan
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 10:01:02 PM »

I don't pro-actively buy them but there are exceptions. If a favorite multi-platform game has console exclusive content it may be worth it. Or a game that had more than one developement team per system which can sometimes make each version unique within themselves I will as well.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 11:23:03 PM »

I collect all variants.

I don't actively seek most out but i i happen across one i tend to hold onto it.

With the exception of all the NES games i had to sell off.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 10:50:41 AM »

On Genesis games I dont mind having them but I dont go out of my way to get them. On NES I only collect if it is a major variant like a licensed vs unlicensed games. For the 2600 I will get Sear and the Atari versions of games.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 06:25:43 PM »

I have a lot of variants for some of the older cart based systems (Atari) but not for the CD systems.

RetroYoungen
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 02:58:30 PM »

Not big on variants, though if there's something really special about like (if I find both a gold and gray cart of Nintendo World Championships 1990 I'll buy 'em both... for cheap enough, of course) I might look into pickin' one up.

Here is where the witty signature is supposed to go.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 03:04:26 PM »

I don't really buy variants.  If they are at a thrift store and I don't know if I have it I'll buy it.  I don't think I really need 2 versions of the same game.  I'll get it, though, if it is a big variant like Tynstar said.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length