RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 10:08:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Board Game Night! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Board Game Night!  (Read 43134 times)
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »

Picked up TI3 in a trade a few weeks ago and read through the rule book.  There are some similarities to Eclipse but I definitely feel that they are different enough to give both a try.

I'll have to check it out. Have you played TI3 yet?

Been studying the rulebook, first game most likely in Sept when I can get 6 people over here.

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2013, 06:45:56 PM »

My first couple of games have been with just 3 players, and while it's great I feel like the trade and political things are very limited. I am possibly playing an 8-player game this weekend. If I survive, I'll post my experiences.

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2013, 07:51:18 AM »

My first couple of games have been with just 3 players, and while it's great I feel like the trade and political things are very limited. I am possibly playing an 8-player game this weekend. If I survive, I'll post my experiences.
So you have the expansions too? I may pick up shattered empire.  I've read it balances the game out really nicely as we'll as fixes a few things with the base game.

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2013, 10:21:31 AM »

So you have the expansions too? I may pick up shattered empire.  I've read it balances the game out really nicely as we'll as fixes a few things with the base game.
Parts of Shattered Empire are pretty much essential. The base set is generally fine, but the original 'Imperial' strategy card is flat-out broken. The cards in SE are a lot more interesting in general. The new races are interesting too, but they're hardly essential. It also enables 8 player games if you're feeling particularly masochistic. Shards of the Throne has a lot of cool stuff too (I REALLY like the flagships), though some of the other stuff it adds isn't as interesting.

But yeah, Shattered Empire makes a great and epic game even greater and more epic.

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »

Parts of Shattered Empire are pretty much essential. The base set is generally fine, but the original 'Imperial' strategy card is flat-out broken. The cards in SE are a lot more interesting in general. The new races are interesting too, but they're hardly essential. It also enables 8 player games if you're feeling particularly masochistic. Shards of the Throne has a lot of cool stuff too (I REALLY like the flagships), though some of the other stuff it adds isn't as interesting.

But yeah, Shattered Empire makes a great and epic game even greater and more epic.

That's what I've heard about it.  Lots of people played the house rule that Imperial is worth one victory point but the Imperial II card makes it even harder to get a VP which is good.  The first time I read Imperial gives you 2 VPs in a game where it takes 10 VP to win, my first thought was "I bet they ended up changing this" and they did.  I really like the idea of a variant set of Strategy cards to change the entire style of the game.  All in all, pretty excited to get it on the table.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2013, 10:09:07 AM »

I bought a copy of King of Tokyo and the expansion at a local coffee shop yesterday. Pretty excited about playing this one in my group.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »

I bought a copy of King of Tokyo and the expansion at a local coffee shop yesterday. Pretty excited about playing this one in my group.

It's a fun little game.  Remember to us your energy to buy abilities, they can be killers.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »

Ability whore. I make sure to eliminate you first before you get any points. Wink

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2013, 07:39:27 PM »

Have any of you ever played the ludicrous VHS board game Atmosfear? I found a copy of this last week and I'm still beside myself a bit...it was a favorite when I was a kid. I bet I'll find it terrible now and I don't even care. Nostalgia!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2013, 08:02:53 PM »

Nostalgia! Yes, I have a copy of Screaming Eagles for the same reason. And really want a copy of Krull, though I bet it's terrible.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2013, 09:25:39 PM »

Tonight got together with some pals and played a card game called Gloom, a round of Settlers of Cataan, and a game I can't think of the name of...It was a co-op game wherein you had to gather four artifacts before the map flooded over. It was OK. I think Cataan is still one of the best board games. Perfect blend of randomness and strategy.

When shall his new form be revealed?
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »

Ah, Forbidden Island is the name. Fun, quick co-op game. Played it a few weeks ago and was so close to a win.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2013, 11:32:44 PM »

Ah, Forbidden Island is the name. Fun, quick co-op game. Played it a few weeks ago and was so close to a win.

That's it! Yeah, we got down to a last move quandry. Was like, we needed a helicopter to win and one more water rise to lose, and we drew both. Half of us argued that meant we lost because the water rose, but the other half (me included) argued that the helicopter card says "use anytime" therefore we won. So we kind of just left it at that. Was a pretty intense endgame.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2013, 07:18:56 AM »

Depends on which card you drew first.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »

Depends on which card you drew first.

Eh that was also part of the argument, the water flipped first but it says draw two cards. Directions just weren't clear enough about order of play.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length