RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 03:01:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | It's official...the USA has a new president! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: It's official...the USA has a new president!  (Read 4644 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 09:13:16 AM »

Hence the fact that it will never, ever work.
That is correct.

It is human nature to want something for yourself. In communism there can't be possessions in the true sense of the word because everything belongs to everyone. Obviously such a system is doomed to fail.

I like the idea of it though, because it means everyone is equally rich (or poor, depending how you look at it) so nobody has an advantage over others. Reality is a bit different though. Wink

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »

That is correct.

It is human nature to want something for yourself. In communism there can't be possessions in the true sense of the word because everything belongs to everyone. Obviously such a system is doomed to fail.

I like the idea of it though, because it means everyone is equally rich (or poor, depending how you look at it) so nobody has an advantage over others. Reality is a bit different though. Wink

It is an impossible ideal for exactly the reason you stated. Yet I don't see why you would like the idea.

Everyone getting the same share, being fed, taken care of, sameness: it provides for nothing but mediocrity in our lives. What is there to live for if there is no hope of self-advancement, of wealth, or even living off the grid?

Video games, sure; but in the end we'd all just be sitting around, waiting to die. Not that most of us aren't already.

I'm so happy that Bush is gone.  He has to be the most useless American ever born.

Eh, that statement should be ignored; but I'm going to say: NO U
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 04:20:37 PM by The Maligned Leon » Logged

When shall his new form be revealed?
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 04:24:47 PM »

That is correct.

It is an impossible ideal for exactly the reason you stated. Yet I don't see why you would like the idea.

Everyone getting the same share, being fed, taken care of, sameness: it provides for nothing but mediocrity in our lives. What is there to live for if there is no hope of self-advancement, of wealth, or even living off the grid?

Video games, sure; but in the end we'd all just be sitting around, waiting to die. Not that most of us aren't already.

Spoken like a true capitalist.
In an ideal world, communism works like this: you do what you do best for a job and everyone else does what they do best. You get paid the same and everything is equal. You can not be poor, there is always food on the table and there is no crime. So unless, you're upper middle class or above now, it sounds pretty sweet.
And there would be a hope of advancement, but you would have to have everyone advance with you. So it's not like the civilization would be stuck in time or anything.

It's a really hard thing to imagine when you've spent your entire life learning that we need more "stuff".

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 09:02:11 PM »

That is correct.

Spoken like a true capitalist.
In an ideal world, communism works like this: you do what you do best for a job and everyone else does what they do best. You get paid the same and everything is equal. You can not be poor, there is always food on the table and there is no crime. So unless, you're upper middle class or above now, it sounds pretty sweet.
And there would be a hope of advancement, but you would have to have everyone advance with you. So it's not like the civilization would be stuck in time or anything.

It's a really hard thing to imagine when you've spent your entire life learning that we need more "stuff".

I am no advocate of consumerism; our culture has been corrupted and brainwashed by our "stuff" to the point where we're all a bunch of half-educated nearly soulless entertainment junkies.

I know the idealistic image of a communist world, and aside from personally frightening me to no end; it just isn't viable or stable on any sort of large scale. As long as humans have the capacity for free thought it cannot work. You cannot create an infrastructure that can support it; there will always be those in power, and there will always be those that suffer, commit crime, and destroy. The only way it COULD be built would involve hundreds of years of indoctrination and building under a police state that would, when the populace was braindead enough to operate like a machine, give up its power.

However, dictatorships are not so keen on giving up their power; and really the world you described is a disgusting one in my mind. I would rather be homeless, I would rather destroy all facets of modern society and live in a cave, I would rather die; than be a soulless member of some governmental machine working towards a "greater good" for all mankind.

Fuck you mankind.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:04:23 PM by The Maligned Leon » Logged

When shall his new form be revealed?
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009, 09:45:52 AM »

I am no advocate of consumerism; our culture has been corrupted and brainwashed by our "stuff" to the point where we're all a bunch of half-educated nearly soulless entertainment junkies.
Isn't it ironic that this is a video game site that heavily focusses on collecting video games. There are many people here who collect for the sake of collecting (I didn't say everyone!).

In a way that's the summum of consumerism. Wink
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 10:42:06 PM »

I likewise don't understand the Bush scorn. He has done exactly what he said he would when he was elected; he managed 9/11 well, and was gracious in stepping down. Where's the damned problem? Don't say recession, it wasn't him.

Very well said.  I couldn't agree more.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length