RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 09:33:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Shining Force - Retro Playthrough - May 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Shining Force - Retro Playthrough - May 2015  (Read 31830 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2015, 07:11:27 PM »

There is an online version of the manual: http://sf1.shiningforcece...ges/mainguide_manual.html

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2015, 09:43:41 PM »

There is an online version of the manual: http://sf1.shiningforcece...ges/mainguide_manual.html
Yea, I guess I could have looked it up on the internet, huh?  Karma for you.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2015, 08:22:50 AM »

I took the day off work yesterday due to being very under the weather and between naps, I was able to push through to Chapter 7.  I got very lucky in the battle at the end of Chapter 6 and pulled it out with a last effort and double hit from one of my big hitters.  Though some of the battles (mainly those without bosses) are more "filler" encounters (I don't mean this in a negative way, all of the battles are good), battles with mage bosses can be tedious. I'm finding that even the more trash mob encounters have amped up in difficulty as well and I'm getting a variety of new monsters to handle.

I think the variety of enemies and having to learn the various ways to deal with them is a big part of what makes this game so great. Not only do you have to consider their abilities, strength (who in your party can tank), and range of attack, but you also have to devise how to confront them (i.e. rush in, or wait for them to come to you).

This brings me to the point of this post. From some of the reviews I have read about the game, one of the more frustrating encounters for first time gamers is the Laser Eye battle near the end of Chapter 3, Battle #11, which you will encounter on your way to the 2nd checkpoint. As a result, I am going to provide any of you who are interested with a guide on how to go about this battle safely with minimal loss to your party.

Laser Eye Battle:

Spoiler (hover to show)

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2015, 09:18:08 AM »

Sat down and played after I got home from night shift yesterday. Cleared Chapter 3 before I turned it off at 1AM, this morning.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2015, 12:37:50 AM »

Nice work Mike! Getting close to Chapter 8 myself. Just hit the third checkpoint. What's that? You don't know what the 3rd checkpoint is yet? Hee hee hee..

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2015, 10:30:18 AM »

Damn, this game looks good. I was thinking about getting it, but I opted for some common NES games instead. I probably should've went with this game.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2015, 10:32:30 AM »

Yeah, this is a great game. Wish you were playing with us.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2015, 10:41:45 AM »

I own Sonic's Genesis Collection, but of course I can't find the disc. It could be in a random DVD case or it could've gotten lost when I moved. It's been a while since I've seen it and I've given a decent search Sad

....just checked eBay, the disc is only $10. I think I'll jump on that in 3-5 business days and try to catch up. From what I've been reading here, it looks like it has more depth than I thought.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2015, 11:06:05 AM »

Yeah, I've been very surprised at how well thought out this game is for being such an early title. Though 1993 isn't too early. Several RPGs had already broken ground. Still, it's very well done both in gameplay and graphically.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2015, 05:37:32 PM »

It's a great game.  Sadly, I've just beat Chapter 1. Sad

SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2015, 06:11:08 PM »

That's alright. Keep plugging away. The game has a bit of a learning curve. Try to travel in a group when possible and keep your casters and ranged attackers behind your tanks or warriors.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:08:25 PM by singlebanana » Logged

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2015, 08:12:15 PM »

That's alright. Keep plugging away. The game has a bit of a learning curve. Try to travel in a group when possible and keep your casters and ranged attackers behind your tanks or warriors.

I have the hang of it.  Time is just not on my side.

SMS set complete!
NeoMagicWarrior
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2015, 08:31:42 PM »

WAYYYYY far behind. This weekend was too busy for its own good. I hope to marathon later on in the week, so I'll eventually catch up xD

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2015, 09:44:52 AM »

WAYYYYY far behind. This weekend was too busy for its own good. I hope to marathon later on in the week, so I'll eventually catch up xD

With all of the movement and strategy, this game plays pretty slow. Just be sure to not get too far behind. Wink

Also, just wanted to mention that there are special weapons you will find in this game. If you have these equipped on a melee guy, be sure to try and "use" them as some have magical powers. When you attack with the magic on these weapons you have to "use" the weapon against an an enemy there will be nothing under the "magic" option.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2015, 09:52:52 AM »

Also, just wanted to mention that there are special weapons you will find in this game. If you have these equipped on a melee guy, be sure to try and "use" them as some have magical powers. When you attack with the magic on these weapons you have to "use" the weapon against an an enemy there will be nothing under the "magic" option.

Good advice, I forgot about this until very recently.  You can also 'use' the rings to grant temporary stat bonuses to your characters.

As a warning, if you 'use' a piece of equipment and it says that the equipment has started smoking, then don't use it again or it will permanently consume that piece of equipment.  I learned this the hard way with my Heat Axe.  Sad

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length