RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:42:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Fuzzy Graphics...Should I Be Worried? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fuzzy Graphics...Should I Be Worried?  (Read 1900 times)
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« on: March 20, 2015, 10:01:07 PM »

So I have two TVs.  One is a fairly large Magnavox that I use for use of my Wii and a smaller one with cathode ray tubes in it.  Perfect for the Super Nintendo...especially when using the Super Scope.  However, I also have a Sega Genesis.

On the smaller TV the Genesis graphics look fuzzy like a TV channel that's nothing but snow.  Like there are viewable segments and blurry lines of in and fuzzy-snow like patches.  On the Magnavox which looks like it was made in the late 90s/early 2000s (prior to HD and flat screen TV generations) it looks fuzzy like minor blurs.

The graphics are much easier to view on the Magnavox TV, but they're not as crisp as they would be on the Sega Genesis you'd play at the orthodontist's office or via the Virtual Console installments of Genesis games.

The fuzzy graphics aren't the actual concern I have though.  The reason I don't play my Wii on the CRT TV is because I've been told since it's an older 80s/90s brand model, use of the Wii on that TV can damage the CRTs and projection tubes.

That's my concern: Does the door swing both ways?  In other words, can fuzzy graphics on a Genesis system cause damage to the system's internal hardware?  Also, as a follow up, for a cheap and effective fix (I've been meaning to replace the Magnavox since there are some glitch gremlins the TV screen anyway) what would people recommend?  Whether it's a decent replacement TV or a way to keep my Genesis from busting up due to graphical problems.
mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:44:07 PM »

I don't believe that using a Wii on a CRT will damage it. That sounds like crap to me...
Assuming you're using the RF output for some reason, the fuzzy graphics on the Genesis, to me, says that the TV isn't tuned correctly to the Genesis' output.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 10:52:09 PM »

Yeah that damage thing is completely bogus. If you're using RF, don't. Use composite at the least. Make sure the wires aren't touching other wires, that causes interference sometimes. If you're willing to switch CRTs, you could upgrade to component cables. That does require getting new output cables too.
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:54:49 PM »

No the fuzzy graphics cannot cause damage. The fuzzyness is an indication of a bad signal or connection with the TV.  Have you tried cleaning all the contacts on the system, and all your cartridges.  You could also open the system up and give it a good cleaning.  If that does not solve it look to see if any soldering points need to be soldered again. In most cases a thorough cleaning of the system fixes things like this.  

I guess it could always be the TV itself, but in no way can this harm your Genesis. And like Flee said, using AV Cables should fix it, as well. If you still see fuzz, then that means a cleaning or re-soldering should be done.

The great thing about the Sega Genesis is how easy it is to fix and work on. I have fixed a lot of Sega Genesis with many problems. Love working on systems like these.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:59:46 PM by Fokakis79 » Logged

Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 09:03:27 PM »

One last question: How do I set the TV to the Genesis' output?  I have the TV set to Video channel (it's one of those with TV/Video channel selector) and if I don't have cable does that factor into using the Channel 3 and Channel 4 selections?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 09:57:50 PM »

RF uses the TV channel selector, composite will likely use the Video channel. Whether or not you have cable doesn't matter for the TV channel selector, as it uses the TV's tuner.

As mentioned, if you can avoid RF, use the composite on the Genesis (or S-video for better graphics). I've had many problems due to bad connections with the RF adapter that caused that snow look, typically due to the adapter hanging in the air without support.

Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 10:05:46 PM »

I'm using the AV Cable.  I just now realized that I'm using an AV cable.  I had temporarily forgotten that RF was a different cable >_< I was actually about to edit the post too lol.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length