RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:54:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Odd Green And Purple Line Situation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Odd Green And Purple Line Situation  (Read 5677 times)
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« on: April 14, 2016, 03:28:12 PM »

We've all been there, I'm sure: You're playing an old school game and suddenly you see thick green lines a kin to rectangles appearing on the screen and other times you see purple...and other times you see both.

Some research I did indicates that it's usually the power adapter, the TV or RF (or in my case the AV cable).  What's interesting though is that I have a little over 20 Super Nintendo games and this problem occurs in only two of those games:  Kirby Super Star and StarFox.

At first I thought it was because the only copy of Kirby Super Star I could afford had severe smoke damage on the front of the cartridge (got it for 30 bucks as a result) but I just received a used copy of StarFox in the mail today.  The cartridge looks brand new like I'd just bought it and taken it out of the plastic wrap covered box.

So my question is this: If the problem is only present in certain game cartridges what is the exact problem and how can I fix it?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 04:02:48 PM »

Seems like you may have a problem with how the cartridge is seated in the console. I'm sure if you were to move it around a little bit, you'd likely see changes in the picture quality (if you didn't outright crash it, like mine did all the time).

Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 04:07:21 PM »

I just got the game today.  And the lines were visible from the moment I put it into the system.  I dunno if that tells you whether or not the cartridge is crashed.  Is there a video that shows how to move the cartridge around a bit?  (Like keep it in system and move or eject and reinsert)

I bought the game off a used gaming outlet called Lukie Games.  My first time purchasing something other then gaming accessories (like dust protectors for cartridges) off the website.
mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 04:51:55 PM »

First thing I'd try is cleaning the contacts.

EDIT: Just Googled it myself. Hmm... That's not a dirty contact issue.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:58:27 PM by mumboking » Logged
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 05:41:38 PM »

I hope it's something that can be fixed.  It doesn't obstruct the game, but on loading screens it does burn my eyes a little.  The colors of the glitchy lines are just so vibrant and not in a good way :/

EDIT: I moved the cartridge around to change the picture quality.  Nothing happened.  The green and purple lines are still there.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:11:22 PM by Atari6600 » Logged
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »

I've never seen this issue before. Pictures/video?

Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 09:44:26 PM »

I'll see what I can do about both pictures and video.  Should I just use the StarFox cartridge or should I show a cartridge that isn't displaying the lines as well for comparison?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 10:23:59 PM »

If you're seeing lines, can you verify you have a 1st party power adaptor?

Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 11:05:24 PM »

I don't think it's first party.  It's one of those adapters that can plug into multiple consoles.  It works with NES, Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis.  But if it's the adapter why are only Kirby Super Star and StarFox affected? :/

Also I texted some photos to my friend from my primitive flip phone.  She's gonna email them to me, I'll upload them to my photobucket and post them here so everyone can see what they look like.  Maybe that'll help shed some light.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 05:53:14 PM »

The power adapter could possibly cause issues with add-on chips if it isn't supplying enough amps. I'm guessing that is what Shadow is thinking of, but maybe he has other thoughts.

Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 03:08:04 PM »

Well I'm pretty sure it's not a first party power adapter.  I also don't have access to one and since I'm moving on June 30th, I'm prioritizng my finances and spending right now.  I have 90 days from the game's arrival to get a refund or replacement so I went and asked for a replacement.

When the replacement comes in, what I'll do is I'll see if the same issue is happening.  If it is, I'll look for a first party power adapter in June when I have the extra money to spend on Amazon and eBay shipping costs and see if that fixes the problem.

In the meantime here are some images of the graphical glitch:

http://i75.photobucket.co...od/image1_zpsecbol9ik.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.co...od/image2_zpsjliliycc.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.co...od/image3_zps75pinttx.jpg

Forgive the quality of my phone.  The second image is the Nintendo Presents logo that starts before the StarFox title screen appears.
mumboking
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 04:55:02 PM »

Okay... THAT is strange...

The power adapter could possibly cause issues with add-on chips if it isn't supplying enough amps. I'm guessing that is what Shadow is thinking of, but maybe he has other thoughts.
This sounds plausible. Both games do use the additional contacts.
@Atari6600 Have you got any more games that have extra contacts? Try them in the console.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:06:34 PM by mumboking » Logged
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 05:33:47 PM »

Very strange indeed.  I've never seen that big of a glitch in a game before.

To my knowledge, no.  Unless F-Zero's Mode 7 counts.  But F-Zero doesn't give me any graphical glitches of any kind.  I'm hoping it's as simple as just getting a different adapter.  I contacted the company that sold me the game, they said they can test the replacement copy once they see the original cartridge was delivered.

If they reach the conclusion the adapter is the problem I'll just search for cheap first party brand adapters and hopefully that fixes it altogether.
mumboking
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 06:05:29 PM »

To my knowledge, no.  Unless F-Zero's Mode 7 counts.  But F-Zero doesn't give me any graphical glitches of any kind.
Look at the contacts on the cartridges. (Bottom one in this pic has the extra contacts)
[img width=512 height=272]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/48/SNES-SFAM-Cartridges.jpg/640px-SNES-SFAM-Cartridges.jpg[/img]

I'm hoping it's as simple as just getting a different adapter.  I contacted the company that sold me the game, they said they can test the replacement copy once they see the original cartridge was delivered.

If they reach the conclusion the adapter is the problem I'll just search for cheap first party brand adapters and hopefully that fixes it altogether.
I highly doubt both cartridges would be bad.
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 07:19:43 PM »

I highly doubt it too, but there's no reason not to suspect the adapter.  Duke, raises a good point when he says it could be the Super FX chip and not getting enough amps.  If the replacement cartridge works with the current AC Adapter I'm using though, that'll definitely help pinpoint that the problem is internal with the cartridge.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length