RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 08:59:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Mass Effect from Bioware 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect from Bioware  (Read 11261 times)
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2007, 04:27:45 PM »

I did not completely explore every planet. I did when I started, but lost track of the planets I had visited and didn't want to search for unexplored planets. I didn't really see the fun in driving around on a barren wasteland.
I did always use my tech skills for unlocking and had succes with that 99% of the time. I also found several new quests on my returns to the citadel. And I finished the codex.

I guess not reaching level 50 is a result of a lot of little things I missed. Anyways, I'm going to play through it again, so maybe I'll fare better now. Although I don't plan on exploring all those crappy planets, just to find some minerals or weapons.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2007, 02:03:31 PM »

My 1st playthrough on Normal, I ended at level 49. And after the 2nd playthrough on Hardcore, I ended at level 59. Getting to level 60 is a bitch!

I did go through all the planets and completed all but 1 sidequest. I just took it one star cluster at a time. Most of the missions you acquire will be based on information you get on the Citadel, but new quests come in gradually throughout the game. For example, Wrex and Garrus also have sidequests if you talk to them.

Going through all the non-mission planets was somewhat fun for me. I likened going after the minerals and stuff to Orb Hunting in Crackdown. Some were tough to get, others rather easy. Whenever I felt that it was getting redundant, I'd go to one of the mission planets (Feros, Noveria, Artemis Tau, Virmire). You can tell that there were some planets where the terrain was not quite "smoothed out" and I think that these were likely to be still in the works when they were at the deadline. I wonder if they're going to incorporate some DLC into the game using the planets where you find Prothean Ruins; those were kind of cool to find. We'll see.

One thing I agree with you on is that they did "Over"-inventory you with stuff when you get to the higher levels. They needed to expand your credit amounts to the 10s of millions and the omni-gel count to the thousands.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2007, 07:52:40 AM »

Would it matter wether you use intimidation or charm to avoid having to fight?

I finished the Father Kyle quest yesterday, by intimidating him to turn himself in. If I hadn't done that I would have had to kill about two dozen of his followers, which probably would have gotten me more xp.

I wouldn't have gotten any renegade points that way, but they don't matter for leveling up anyway.
Tan
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2007, 11:12:42 AM »

Would it matter wether you use intimidation or charm to avoid having to fight?

I finished the Father Kyle quest yesterday, by intimidating him to turn himself in. If I hadn't done that I would have had to kill about two dozen of his followers, which probably would have gotten me more xp.

I wouldn't have gotten any renegade points that way, but they don't matter for leveling up anyway.

That's the fun of being a renegade, you can get 300 exp points from avoiding a fight, or 1000 from blasting him and his cronies while they beg for their lives. Wink

Best use of the intimidation/charm is on the beach with Wrex, if you've played that part already then you know what I mean. I tried it both ways, I foresaw a confrontation of sorts so I saved it just before so I could try it.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2007, 02:19:17 PM »

I was a good guy through my first play through, so I charmed him to do what I wanted. This time I'm evil, so I can intimidate him or have him shot. I haven't decided yet. I don't have him in my team, so I won't miss him.
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2007, 02:55:11 AM »

I'm doing the exact same thing.  I was all super goody my first time through, and now I'm all super Jackassey.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2007, 11:58:01 PM »

My Mass Effect review is up. Cool

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2007, 07:52:36 AM »

Where? The game page only has a small review by Tan.
Tan
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2007, 09:15:44 AM »

Where? The game page only has a small review by Tan.

His was on the regular version, mine on the Limited Collector's. I've made sure both reviews are on both pages now.  Wink

Mass Effect LCE

Mass Effect
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2008, 12:52:35 PM »

I agree with most of the review, apart from the praise for the graphics. I think it's an ugly game. Mostly because of all the dull designs and the dead worlds. Even the wards, which supposedly is a notorious 'slum' known all over the universe, is an empty, grey, clean, metal collection of hallways. Playing the gorgeous Assassin's Creed before this one probably didn't help either.

After my second play through I just discovered you can start an old game with a new character. That'll make reaching level 60 very easy.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2008, 11:39:39 PM »

I agree with most of the review, apart from the praise for the graphics. I think it's an ugly game. Mostly because of all the dull designs and the dead worlds. Even the wards, which supposedly is a notorious 'slum' known all over the universe, is an empty, grey, clean, metal collection of hallways. Playing the gorgeous Assassin's Creed before this one probably didn't help either.

After my second play through I just discovered you can start an old game with a new character. That'll make reaching level 60 very easy.

I guess I should've been more specific regarding the graphics. I was blown away by the character models when you're in dialogue. They did an excellent job there. You're right that some of the areas seemed barren, however I think that what they were able to accomplish is quite impressive overall.

As far as reaching level 60, I've played the 1st time on Normal difficulty and got to level 49. The 2nd time through I used the same character on Hardcore difficulty and made it to level 59. And the jump from level 59 to level 60 is a pretty big gap. So it looks like I wont reach that until I play it again with the same character on Insanity difficulty.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 10:06:36 AM by phoenix1967 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length