RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 11:12:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | What DVDs have you purchased recently? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 76 Print
Author Topic: What DVDs have you purchased recently?  (Read 321060 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #615 on: August 16, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »

Apocalypse Now Redux
I have that version too, can't say it's better than the original, though. It makes the film long, almost too long, in my opinion.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #616 on: August 16, 2008, 07:08:49 PM »

Yeah, the original is better. I have the "Complete Dossier" version that has both versions and with the exception of the extended Kilgore scenes it just gets long winded albeit still good cinema.

When shall his new form be revealed?
totalgridlock
Memorex VIS
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #617 on: August 17, 2008, 02:16:42 AM »

Yeah I prefer the original too. But I needed a copy of the film on DVD and the price was too good to pass up Smiley

Looking for a good condition Commodore Plus/4.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #618 on: August 17, 2008, 08:47:12 AM »

I see. Not that it matters that much, It's still a fantastic movie nod
tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #619 on: August 17, 2008, 08:00:14 PM »

got yesterday....

Slacker:  The Criterion Collection
I Am Curious...:  The Criterion Collection

Shine:  The Criterion Collection (Laserdisc)

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
dotDarkCloud (dDC)
Sega 32X
Canada

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #620 on: August 18, 2008, 08:51:52 PM »

got yesterday....

Wow, you are more into Criterions then my "movie guru" friend! Impressive.

[img width=572 height=151]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa88/dotdarkcloud/dontforget.jpg[/img]

"...shut up, shut up, shut up.... You're all nuts! Shut up! Let me talk. " - Free Waterfall Jr.
tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #621 on: August 18, 2008, 09:04:31 PM »

got yesterday....

Wow, you are more into Criterions then my "movie guru" friend! Impressive.

yea...i'm over 100 CC DVDs now....and I have 3 CC Laserdiscs with 1 more on the way

For CC DVDs, if I count all that I have, plus all that I have on order, I have 23.6% of the collection

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
totalgridlock
Memorex VIS
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #622 on: August 19, 2008, 02:07:56 AM »

I'm curious: what's the deal with these Criterion releases? We don't have them here so just wondering. I assume they are uber-restored versions with all the bells and whistles and whatnot?

Anyway, I just picked up:

Silver Hawk (HK version)

tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #623 on: August 19, 2008, 05:53:01 AM »

The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, is dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Criterion began with a mission to pull the treasures of world cinema out of the film vaults and put them in the hands of collectors. All of the films published under the Criterion banner represent cinema at its finest. In our seventeen years, we've seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema in the world's best digital editions.

The foundation of the collection is the work of such masters of cinema as Renoir, Godard, Kurosawa, Cocteau, Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Fuller, Lean, Kubrick, Lang, Sturges, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Ozu, Sirk, Buñuel, Powell and Pressburger. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its maker intended it to be seen. For every disc, we track down the best available film elements in the world, use state-of-the-art telecine equipment and a select few colorists capable of meeting our rigorous standards, and take time during the film-to-video digital transfer to create the most pristine possible image and sound. Whenever possible, we work with directors and cinematographers to assure that the look of our releases does justice to their intentions. Our supplements enable viewers to appreciate Criterion films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director's cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts, and storyboards. To date, more than 75 filmmakers have made our Director Approved library of laserdiscs and DVDs the most significant archive of contemporary filmmaking available to the home viewer.

tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #624 on: August 19, 2008, 05:54:09 AM »

I'm curious: what's the deal with these Criterion releases? We don't have them here so just wondering. I assume they are uber-restored versions with all the bells and whistles and whatnot?

Anyway, I just picked up:

Silver Hawk (HK version)

In the UK, I believe you guys have "Masters of Cinema" .... similar to Criterion, but Region 2, not Region 1.

totalgridlock
Memorex VIS
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #625 on: August 19, 2008, 06:37:48 AM »

Ah. Yeah, they seem like Masters of Cinema although with a wider catalogue. MoC have a bit of an obsession with Buster Keaton and Fatty Arbuckle...

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #626 on: August 21, 2008, 08:38:59 AM »

Picked up:

X-Files Season Two

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #627 on: August 21, 2008, 06:48:29 PM »

Bought:

Tron - (1982)
Lost In Translation - (2003)
Babel - (2006)

@Tholly: I looked up those laserdiscs at Wikipedia. What's so special about them that you still buy those?
tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #628 on: August 21, 2008, 07:17:31 PM »

Bought:

Tron - (1982)
Lost In Translation - (2003)
Babel - (2006)

@Tholly: I looked up those laserdiscs at Wikipedia. What's so special about them that you still buy those?

The only Laserdiscs I buy are Criterions, just because I love Criterion DVDs so much.  Honestly, the most I have spent on one is $2.50....I think I have averaged about $0.80 each for all my laserdiscs.

totalgridlock
Memorex VIS
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #629 on: August 23, 2008, 05:56:02 AM »

Picked up today:

National Treasure

And I ordered a bunch of HKL DVDs before they all disappear completely:

The Big Boss (Platinum)
Dragon Fist
Fist of Fury (Platinum)
Hand of Death
New Fist of Fury
Way of the Dragon
John Woo Collection (Bullet in the Head, The Killer & Once a Thief)

The Bruce Lee films are replacements for my ancient, crappily transferred and butchered copies.  Finally I can watch those movies with nunchaku scenes intact.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 76 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length