RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 08:31:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | NBA Jam 32X-Common problem cart? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NBA Jam 32X-Common problem cart?  (Read 1934 times)
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:58:35 PM »

It seems like I see lots of NBA Jam 32X carts being sold or traded as "not working".  Was there a problem with this particular cart or is it just a coincidence?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »

In reality, as stated by Steve Snake, creator of NBA Jam, NBA Jam T.E, and Mortal Kombat II, these games were seriously pushing the limits of the console even though they looked like minor enhancements. He cites that people were expecting far too much from it, and over-hyping from magazines had helped to hurt it.

Taking a stab at this without any research, but likely people are using older models of the Genesis with inferior or worn down parts? I know that certain Xbox 360 games have issues with older kits, since the disk read speed is slower on older models.

EDIT:

Also, from AtariAge to help back up that statement:
http://www.atariage.com/f...nba-jam-for-32x-problems/

For some reason I can not play the NBA Jam on 32X, the game will freeze at the demo or right after tip off. Sometime you can play but the players are missing and court scrolling is messed up.
I have 2 model one Sega Genesis and one 32X, I also have 2 copies of NBA Jam for 32X. I have tried multiple combinations, same outcome.
All other games for 32X for work perfectly. I got second game copy thinking that the first one is broken.
Does anyone have same problem?
I'm thinking to get Genesis model 2 to see if that will fix the problem, I wish that I had 2nd 32X to try.

I wonder if it has to deal with TMSS vs. non-TMSS versions? Or perhaps High Definition or not? It may be worth asking one of the sellers these questions, but it apparently is common.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:37:36 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:57:18 PM »

If I had a copy to check I would. My setup is a non-TMSS Genesis Model 1, SEGA CD model 1, and 32x. I've never had issues with any other 32x games, so if I run across a cheap copy I'll have to check it out.

a_hub10
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:56:45 PM »

I have no idea what the issue is, but there definitely is something going on.  I bought a cart that was like new CIB for $20 and it didn't work.  Cleaned it multiple times, still nothing.  Thankfully the store gave me a full refund.  I found it today loose in decent shape at a flea market for $2.  This one didn't want to work either.  Both games would give me a license screen, then make a loud pop and just stay black.  After a few tries this second copy did start booting.  I would take it apart but I don't have the proper bit.
sektor75
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »

I have a model 2 Genesis and Sega CD + 32x and NBA Jam TE, I'll try it tonight and see what happens.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/sektor75.png[/img]
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »

I have a model 2 Genesis and Sega CD + 32x and NBA Jam TE, I'll try it tonight and see what happens.

Unfortunately, that level of information won't help. You'll actually need to identify the chipset on the Genesis Sad

a_hub10
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:10:39 PM »

I guess I should have clarified my setup.  I'm running a HDGM1 with TMSS with a model 2 cd and 32x. My copy works just fine now.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length