RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 01:06:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Do The Batteries Run While The System Is Off? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Do The Batteries Run While The System Is Off?  (Read 1766 times)
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« on: September 25, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »

On August 30, I was playing Game & Watch Gallery 2 on my Game Boy Pocket.  In the middle of a round of Vermin the batteries died.  Luckily, I thought ahead and had extra batteries in my pocket.  I played another five minutes then didn't play anymore until last night.

I played another five minutes last night.  And just now, after five minutes of leveling my Bulbasaur in Pokemon Red Version to learn Vine Whip, my batteries died.  Fifteen minutes of battery life.  I thought the Game Boy Pocket had eleven hours worth.

Is it possible that the batteries were running and draining their juices during the times I wasn't playing?  And if that's not the case does anyone know why a pair of fresh, new AAA batteries would die after fifteen minutes?
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 07:41:25 PM »

Check the connectors. Over time they might get corroded and block the connection of perfectly fine batteries. If there's any corrosion you want to neutralize it or it could lead to even worse internal damage.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:46:49 PM »

What does the corrosion I'm looking for look like and how do I neutralize it?
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 07:56:39 PM »

What does the corrosion I'm looking for look like and how do I neutralize it?
white crusty buildup. Sometimes greyish or brown. If you get too much of that stuff..best to throw the thing away. Shit is also toxic,however IF it's so bad you have to toss it,put it in a ziploc bag. Illegal to toss them away loose. Wash your hands very thorough.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:58:19 PM by Ryudo » Logged
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:59:33 PM »

I'm looking at the connectors right now.  There's white, grey or brown crusty build up of any kind.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 08:52:16 PM »

If you meant that there's no corrosion then its probably something internal interfering with the connection. Dust build up on the board can be enough.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »

So I'd have to take it to a retro game store to get it looked at right?
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 09:14:32 PM »

Not really. Don't game boy pockets have Philips screws?

Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 09:22:55 PM »

On the back, yes.  But I'm not an electrician, so I'd have no clue what I'm doing.

It'd have to be as simple as opening up the system and wiping off the circuitry with a dusting rag.  And I don't want to accidentally break it trying to clean it if I don't know what I'm doing.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 09:29:23 PM »

That's basically what I'm suggesting. Open it up, wipe the board down with some 75% or stronger rubbing alcohol and let it dry.

You'd be surprised how many serious problems can be fixed by this simple cleaning. Playstation disc read errors, RROD, yellow lights, the list goes on.

If this doesn't fix it then its more serious and a replacement will be cheaper than paying for a repair.

Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 09:30:46 PM »

In all honesty, the Game Boy system I grew up with was an original Game Boy.  I got this Game Boy Pocket on Amazon for my birthday last month.  It was 17 bucks plus tax, so I'll vouch for a cheap replacement lol.

Thanks for the help.
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 11:38:56 PM »

Yeah coupe months ago I took apart my Sega Master system cleaned everything and then it was purring.
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »

Is it possible that the batteries were running and draining their juices during the times I wasn't playing? 
Yes. Batteries are ALWAYS draining for everything. Your car battery is ALWAYS draining. Your TV remote batteries are ALWAYS draining. Cell phone battery? Always draining. As long as they are touching the connectors, they are slowly, but constantly draining.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:54:04 PM by Dezorian » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length