RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 04:43:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | September Modern Community Playthrough - Ico 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: September Modern Community Playthrough - Ico  (Read 16255 times)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 05:07:59 PM »

I tried to hang out near a portal and take out enemies for over 10 minutes and they just kept coming. I had to use the above mentioned technique to clear the room and advance. That's the only place this occurred and perhaps with a little more patience, I could have taken them all out.

that's one of the few rooms that i did run straight for the door technique, maybe it's only certain rooms that act like that. the majority of them let you kill everything off.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »

The Windmill section is gorgeous!

Similarly to Shadow of the Colossus, I knew I would like this game but I feel like I'm going to walk away loving it. Everything about it (except for the tedious combat) is incredible.

Best game in the history of the world. Tied with Shadow of course.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 06:54:00 AM »

For now, I'm with you Floyd, but I'm going to see where it goes before making my final assessment. Really enjoying this playthrough.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 07:34:32 AM »

That was a facetious remark, but I still do think I'm going to walk away loving the experience.

So far I see loads of stylistic similarities to Shadow of the Colossus. The environments, gibberish dialogue, and wide camera angles really evoke the sense of wonder and mystery. Obviously these are very different games and they can't really be compared but it's noticeable how the developers came up with the idea of a story told through the characters' actions and the environment.

I like that you can hold Yorda's hand and run around with her. It feels like that's the right to play the game. It feels like that adds importance to rescuing her.

Another similarity to SotC I see is the theme of "doing the right thing." This time it seems like it's more of an altruistically "right thing" compared to Wander's selfish motive to revive Mono. We still don't know why Yorda was imprisoned but it would likely be against her will. I'm sure she's just as lost and confused as the protagonist, or she could even be complacently agreeing to something horrendous as is expected of her.

All speculation so far. I'm sure all have even more theories and questions at the conclusion of the game.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 08:21:20 AM »

That was a facetious remark, but I still do think I'm going to walk away loving the experience.

Of course. I think a lot of bad is going to have to happen to keep me from loving this game.

I'll leave you with this:

https://www.etsy.com/list...&ga_view_type=gallery

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 09:06:05 AM »

Going to order one right now! Thanks for the link! Speaking of tee shirts I have a pixel art SotC shirt in the post right now. Smiley All the cool kids can buy it here. http://theyetee.com/shop/...?itemid=pixelcolossusMART

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 09:11:45 AM »

I know you like that PS3 insert art Floyd. Type in Ico poster on Etsy and you'll find it there if interested.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »

Damn, both of those shirts are sick as hell.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 11:38:08 AM »

Choose wisely (other options): https://www.etsy.com/sear...shadow%20colossus%20shirt

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »

I know you like that PS3 insert art Floyd. Type in Ico poster on Etsy and you'll find it there if interested.

Stop tempting me! I have bills and a bathroom reno to pay for!

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 01:01:40 PM »

i totally agree with the comment about the hand holding feeling like the "right" way to play the game. there was a couple times where i had to leave yorda a few rooms behind and the whole time i was stressed out about whether she was ok or not, at one point i gave up what i was doing to go back and grab her.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 01:11:38 PM »

So enamoured with this game I'm ploughing through to the end. Probably going to finish tomorrow or Friday.

I can't say I like this more than SotC but I like that this is more of a peaceful game. The only times I feel uneasy are when I can't see Yorda and when the shadowy figures swarm me.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »

I can't say I like this more than SotC but I like that this is more of a peaceful game. The only times I feel uneasy are when I can't see Yorda and when the shadowy figures swarm me.

I think that when thinking about Ico, you have to separate it from SotC. I know it's tough, same developer, both puzzle games, etc., but it's the only way to be fair to it. Furthermore, I think that what really differenitates the two games is that the formula is "reversed;" Ico is a puzzle game with a small amount of action/adventure elements, while SotC is more action-based with smaller, more short-term puzzle elements. Also, SotC has an extremely vast, free-flowing environment, while the environment isn't as vast and "contained." I think I like them both almost equally for where they stand in their respective genres.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »

I completely agree. I never meant to say "I like Ico over SotC" as I like them both equally but for different reasons. I also didn't mean to imply that I was comparing the two. These are separate entities with some loose themes that kinda-sorta tie them together. 

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2014, 09:38:44 PM »

besides comparing their gameplay there's quite a few obvious connections in story elements
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length