RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:17:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | I think my Saturn just died. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I think my Saturn just died. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1722 times)
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »

I went out and got a new battery for my Saturn today. I installed it. Went to turn it on and the disc doesn't spin, and the laser doesn't move. WTF? I took the battery out thinking maybe it was something there... but nope. Just all the sudden won't spin the disc. I get a greet light on the console, but no video output it seems. Please say I can easily fix this and that I don't have to buy another console.

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:22:03 PM »

so to make it clear--

Green light goes on on the console.
No audio/video.
No disc spin.
No laser movement.

:cry:

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 06:31:14 PM »

Might sound obvious, but:

1. Did you check the fuse to see if there is any resistance?
2. Did you check the power cord with a multimeter/try a different power cord/try another outlet?

Seno
Sega CD
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »

its been a while since I took a Saturn apart - but could you have knocked loose the power cable going to the CD drive or the expansion daughterboard behind the battery.
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »

Duke, you obviously know much more about electronics than I. I opened it and no wires seem loose or anything. That's best best I could gather though. :\

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »

Do you have a multimeter?

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 09:02:06 PM »

I don't have a multimeter. Or even know what one is really. :\

I'm feeling like I'm gonna need a new Saturn. Fast. I have a big stack of new Sat games I haven't even tried yet. I'm so sad.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 11:50:43 PM »

Sorry to hear it. You should probably try picking up a cheap multimeter at some point, so you can at least do simple checks like voltage, amperage, and test fuses. Basic things like that are really simple to do.

Good luck!

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »

Sorry to hear it. You should probably try picking up a cheap multimeter at some point, so you can at least do simple checks like voltage, amperage, and test fuses. Basic things like that are really simple to do.

Good luck!
I second this. Even if you don't know how to use one now, its very easy to learn the basics when you actually have it in your hand.
And if you have a Harbor Freight near you: http://www.harborfreight....ion-multimeter-98025.html
That one also goes on sale every couple weeks for even less than $4.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:25:09 PM »

I'll third getting a multimeter. Even if you ESD'd something in there, a fuse may have blown instead, which is a quick and simple fix. All you need to do with a multimeter is point one end somewhere, point the other end elsewhere, and see if there's voltage.

If you need another Saturn, I can possibly loan you mine for the time being if you plan on fixing yours.

Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 08:58:49 PM »

And if you have a Harbor Freight near you: http://www.harborfreight....ion-multimeter-98025.html
That one also goes on sale every couple weeks for even less than $4.

Heck, I have four of the things I got as promo coupon give-aways from Harbor Freight.

If you want, Noise, I can mail one of 'em to ya.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length