RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:58:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | HOW to collect a library? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: HOW to collect a library?  (Read 4872 times)
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 09:21:57 AM »

I go for whatever I can find locally. If I really want a rare and don't expect to find it locally, I'll keep an eye on eBay or another auction site and snipe it when I feel the price is right.

This is what I did when I went for my N64 collection.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »

Just look in all the normal places you would for games. Also while looking for the Dreamcast games look for other games to trade or sell to fund the Dreamcast library. I need around 40-50 more DC games and finding any of them locally is almost impossible.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 02:00:34 AM »

My NES collection is still small enough that I can casually go to my local retro game store and pick up a few commons for a couple bucks and chip away at the list.  The odds of me actually grabbing a Samson or a Bonk are so high right now that I don't even think about it, they're called collection enders for a reason.  So I'm just having fun right now building the stack with Bayou Billy's and Anticipations.

Your situation is tricky.  If you literally can't find anything local but sports games then you have no other option than forum sells/trades or auction sites.  Kinda takes the fun out of it if you can't hunt.

ProjectG.U.E.S.T.
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 09:26:01 AM »

so then you don't really focus one way or the other (cheap commons vs rarer titles) initially? Just kind of whatever-finds-you-first?

I've got stuff I'm always looking for specifically, but often times it's not stuff I'm really ready to pick up yet - usually can't afford it or just don't have the platform yet. I'll keep an eye out to get it cheaply, but the local stores only really carry commons. I've found some pretty awesome deals on Amazon, and I've done some shopping with ebay. Mostly my approach has been "Does this look cool? Does it match my mental list of games I'm looking for?" If it fits one of those two, I'll see if I can pick it up.

I'm in the same boat as RetroRage in that my collection is still fairly small. I can hit up V-Stock or Slackers (two local chains that have extensive retro offerings) and see what's up. Slackers' NES selection is better than V-Stock's but it's also more expensive.

Seasian
Tiger Gizmondo

United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:03 AM »

Im just starting out, but I dont really have an interest in getting any complete libraries.  What Ive been doing is Ill go through a list of all US releases for a system and make a list of games that I want to own.  Im focusing on the original Xbox right now.  Ive got about 80 titles so far but still have around 140 left to go.  As soon as I finish them up I plan on working on Dreamcast
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 05:52:59 PM »

How is the DC library going now a days?

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 12:36:42 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C...s&hash=item460ae01b74

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »

I saw that auction on another forum. IGN also ran an article:

http://www.ign.com/articl...every-snes-game-for-24999

The seller is the creator of the Bsnes emulator.

It would certainly be a quick way (although overly expensive) to collect a library.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »

Cool article.

I just think the pics look cool to be honest Smiley

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 10:56:50 PM »

Yeah but whats the fun in that?  You buy all the games.....then what?  No hunt, no trade, nothing.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 11:10:27 PM »

Yeah but whats the fun in that?  You buy all the games.....then what?  No hunt, no trade, nothing.

Actually he's trying to trade that fullset for a Japanese fullset. Nobody would take the deal but he mentioned it when he broke the sale on the gamecollecting subreddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/g...plete_us_snes_collection/

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 09:51:46 AM »

It is fun setting up a display for all of them and playing them.

Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »

You move on to another library of course!
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 01:18:47 AM »

Definitely check out pawn shops in your area, I have found they are found in most areas, even small towns have them.
sometimes they have old games for super cheap.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length