RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:08:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | RIP Blockbuster... for real now. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RIP Blockbuster... for real now.  (Read 1904 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: November 06, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »

http://news.cnet.com/8301...s-in-the-towel/?ttag=fbwp

I stop into a store once every 6 months or so... Kind of sad to see them closing up shop to be honest. When i was younger much of my gaming was via blockbuster rentals or purchases.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »

I bought many a DVD from them back in the day. Looks like now all that's left is Family Video, who actually played the move to digital smart by keeping their overheads low and actually owning their own buildings. Blockbuster just played the entire game horribly from start to finish.

When shall his new form be revealed?
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »

I haven't seen a BlockBuster in years.  Will they still sell me a copy of Sculptor's Cut?
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »

Our Blockbuster was attached to a Boston Pizza that burnt down 2 years ago and took a significant amount of damage. They never rebuilt it.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:24:17 PM »

Been almost two years since my most local Blockbuster store closed. Really can't recall seeing any more near me since then.

http://www.youtube.com/wa...ailpage&v=3TrPwOrf4sM
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:16:08 PM »

The Blockbuster in my home town closed a decade ago, now its a mattress store. When I went to college there was a Blockbuster still open there, and it closed my sophomore year, now its the best liquor store in town. That said, my hometown now has a Family Video where about 5 sports bars failed before it.

I do have some good memories of Blockbuster, its where I discovered the Suikoden series by renting the third on a whim a year or so before they closed shop.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 10:02:14 PM »

There is one left (out of at least 10) that I know of.  Used to be a great place to find 1-3 year old games pretty cheap.  Heck, they were a great place for a while to go if you wanted to fill out your N64 collection.  I wonder if they will close that store too.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 12:10:32 AM »

I wonder why they never tried the Red Box business model

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 10:32:10 AM »

I will miss Blockbuster. In the VHS era I rented movies all the time. Never rented DVD's but I bought a lot. I've bought MANY video games there over the years as well. I would guess that about half of my N64 collection came from Blockbuster.

Since they've started closing stores I've cleaned up at the closing sales.

On the way home yesterday I stopped at one still open and the Closing Sale signs are already up. I know my movie collection will greatly benefit but it's still sad.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 10:36:19 AM »

Dergatron9000
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 05:04:24 PM »

Ya I cleaned up on blurays when they closed up here. Gotta love them sales.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length