RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:57:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | May Modern Community Playthrough - Lost In Shadow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: May Modern Community Playthrough - Lost In Shadow  (Read 7592 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 03:20:32 PM »

I'm going to try and get the wife involved in playing this with me. She's not a gamer, so this should be interesting at least when we discuss it. Smiley

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 07:14:34 AM »

Hero, this game is deceptively hard. Especially since your sword is basically a butter knife and all the enemies have a long reach. I life the light manipulation and Fez style world turning mechanics used in this game; they literally put a new perspective on the puzzles.

Rich, I'd like to hear her thoughts... your's as well since you're an English major and there are some neat metaphors going on in the game.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »

Yeah, I played through the next set of floors last night, and I can feel the difficulty ramping up.  You definitely have to figure out a pattern for taking out the enemies without getting hit since your health is so limited.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 08:47:18 AM »

I'm currently at Floor 30.  I had a love/hate relationship with this game up until about the 21st floor or so, but now I'm enjoying it more consistently.  There are a series of floors before the 21st where the game likes to throw fairly difficult enemies at you pretty often, and it gets pretty hard to make it through a floor without dying.  It's extremely frustrating to make it through an entire floor only to be killed by a giant spider at the end and have to replay the entire thing.  Those moments usually resulted in me saying "#&@$ this!" and turning off the console.  Smiley

The more recent floors however have been more focused on puzzles and platforming, and this is really where the game is at its best.  There are still quite a few enemies, but they're usually the easier varieties that die in one or two hits.  Not to mention that my character is stronger now, so a few enemies getting in the way isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

The whole concept of the game is very interesting.  Interacting with shadows rather than the objects themselves forces you to think differently about your environment.  There have been a few times where I've gotten hit by an arrow or a sawblade because I was trying to avoid the object itself rather than its shadow.  I also like that moving along the shadows causes this game to mechanically be a 2D platformer, which I greatly prefer over 3D platformers.

And with that, I'm definitely enjoying this one.  Looking forward to playing it some more!  Smiley

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 10:16:14 AM »

Great comments! I'm not too far behind (on the 17th floor).

Week 2's goal is up.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 01:05:46 PM »

It's been kinda dead in here, but I finished Lost in Shadow yesterday.  Overall I would say the game is good, not great.  It is deserving of the mixed reviews it received.

I don't really have too much to say that I haven't already said in an earlier post.  The game introduces some new gameplay mechanics about half way through that allow for some 3D gameplay, but the vast majority of the game is played in a 2D perspective.

Anyway, the game is definitely worth a playthrough, but probably not one I would revisit.  Good luck to anybody else who is still playing!

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 01:33:50 PM »

Unfortunately I've been super busy and only made it to the 20th floor, but I have a decent understanding of the game based on what I've played.

Overall impression is good, but nothing spectacular. Something I'll casually chip away at and eventually finish.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 01:58:08 PM »

Thanks for playing Disposed and congrats on finishing!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »

I was so busy this month I only got to floor 9.  booo,  Im going to try and play it later if I have time

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 07:48:26 AM »

I've had a busy month too, so don't worry about not getting very far in this game.

As long as you played enough to get a feel for the game and have decided whether you'll eventually finish it, I'm happy.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length