RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:49:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night  (Read 70491 times)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »

I was also concerned about giving away too much too early, but like you mentioned, you would have to start over if you miss those key points before the Belmont battle. Then again, the first castle can be blown through very quickly once you have had some practice if you do happen to miss out your first time around.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »

Of course I'm playing ahead for the checkpoints, but I cleared the first castle this weekend in less than 5 hours. I know people are much quicker than I am, but it's been over 10 years and I had to do quite a bit of exploring to find a few necessary relics. Gameplay on the inverted should go much quicker.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2014, 05:41:50 PM »

I was also concerned about giving away too much too early, but like you mentioned, you would have to start over if you miss those key points before the Belmont battle. Then again, the first castle can be blown through very quickly once you have had some practice if you do happen to miss out your first time around.

Would you have to start over, or can you just start from the last save point?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2014, 05:53:35 PM »

You know...I haven't experienced the "short" ending myself. I guess it would be a matter of if it creates a save after defeating Richter or not. Also, are there any points of no return should you miss a required relic? I suppose if not, you could always just boot up the save and go searching for whatever you missed before returning to fight Richter.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »

I killed Richter, watched the credits, and went back to my last save to start working on the real ending.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2014, 06:39:36 PM »

Well there you go. I forgot just how much of the game takes place on the back nine. Sure, by percentage it is half, but the story, item depth, boss battles, and difficulty from the second half are the majority of the game. By gameplay value, I would say it is 25%/75% in favor of the Inverted castle, if it really ended at Richter, the game would be a 5 or 6 rating instead of a 10 for most.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2014, 07:32:22 PM »

I finished taking the steps to get ready for beating Richter the "right" way. Next time I fire up the game I'm ready to

Spoiler (hover to show)

then fight Richter again and flip the damned castle.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2014, 11:54:08 PM »

When I was discussing checkpoints with Rich before we started, I learned there is a throwback to an earlier Castlevania game that I hadn't known about. I plan on playing through the NES Castlevania games at some point in the near future as a result of learning this, but if you have played earlier CV games, I hope you notice the throwback, making your excursion into the inverted castle all that much sweeter.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2014, 02:20:08 AM »

i'm enjoying the game but it feels directionless...i haven't yet gotten any sort of "goal" that i'm supposed to follow, right now i'm essentially just checking each unexplored area to see if i find anything new. so far it's working, but a lot of times i beat a boss and then it feels like the next room doesn't let me proceed, i have to backtrack and check somewhere different. am i doing it wrong?
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2014, 05:02:09 AM »

i'm enjoying the game but it feels directionless...i haven't yet gotten any sort of "goal" that i'm supposed to follow, right now i'm essentially just checking each unexplored area to see if i find anything new. so far it's working, but a lot of times i beat a boss and then it feels like the next room doesn't let me proceed, i have to backtrack and check somewhere different. am i doing it wrong?

How far are you into the game? I was having a very similar experience in the beginning, but somewhere a little after I was three hours into the game, it opened up in a huge way and I was totally guided by areas opening up and the drive to make Alucard more powerful.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2014, 05:38:51 AM »

A few hints to make your experience more enjoyable:

1. Buy the Castle map from the library. It will show you unexplored areas on the map that will help guide your search. Look at it by pressing select. Rooms are outlined in a white border, so look for spots were this border is not enclosed in white. There are more hidden areas not noted on this map, but it still helps.

2. Make a note of "impassable" areas as you go. Those too high to reach, blue doors, grates, etc. so that you can return to them later.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2014, 05:47:13 AM »

There's one last thing I want to try to do before I flip the castle if possible:

Spoiler (hover to show)

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2014, 06:48:22 AM »

Here you go:

Spoiler (hover to show)

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2014, 07:01:43 AM »

Really? Could have sworn I've tried that. I'll give it another shot. Here's another one for ya:

Spoiler (hover to show)

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2014, 07:44:29 AM »

Really? Could have sworn I've tried that. I'll give it another shot. Here's another one for ya:

Spoiler (hover to show)

Yeah, that's a very tough one to find and I'm sure the first to discover it did so out of luck. It's my favorite familiar, so this was the only video I've looked at so far for tracking it down. Would be impossible for me to describe.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length