RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:51:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October Modern Playthrough - Alan Wake 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: October Modern Playthrough - Alan Wake  (Read 8768 times)
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 09:20:28 AM »

I finished episodes 4 & 5 over the weekend.  In my opinion, this game really picks up in the second half.  I had a hard time putting it down. 
Spoiler (hover to show)

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 01:49:48 PM »

I finished episodes 4 & 5 over the weekend.  In my opinion, this game really picks up in the second half.  I had a hard time putting it down. 
Spoiler (hover to show)

barry is the best thing about that game imo, i love good comic relief characters.
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »

Yeah, I found Barry to be very obnoxious and annoying at first, but he grew on me after a while.  The scene with Alan and Barry drunk was hilarious.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 06:04:07 PM »

Spoiler (hover to show)

barry is the best thing about that game imo...

Agreed.  Barry rules.  Sometimes I like to think about how much better Resident Evil would have been better with this Barry.

Finally caught up with the playthrough (finally).  I totally dig the concert scene.  It was a welcome relief after escaping from the Lodge, where I (still) find it to be annoying.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 06:54:52 PM »

That concert scene is great. Very memorable. You actually feel like you're in a heavy metal music video.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »

That concert scene is great. Very memorable. You actually feel like you're in a heavy metal music video.

i love the concert scene, it's really one of the highlights of the game for me
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »

The final checkpoints are up. Week 4's checkpoint is optional as it involves the two DLC episodes are not required playing for the main story.

I've also excluded Alan Wake's American Nightmare because it's dumb. You're welcome to play it if you like, but you're not missing much if you don't.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 12:00:20 AM »

The final checkpoints are up. Week 4's checkpoint is optional as it involves the two DLC episodes are not required playing for the main story.

I've also excluded Alan Wake's American Nightmare because it's dumb. You're welcome to play it if you like, but you're not missing much if you don't.

Shocked

Not to be controversial, but I actually quite enjoyed American Nightmare, though I find it poorly named.  When I played it I really didn't think I'd get off it very much due to the...  repetitive nature.  In the end I really fell for it.  While it didn't have the same impact on me that the first game did, I really enjoyed the way the devs managed to sandwich a cohesive story into such a claustrophobic world.  Plus, it is a continuation of the main story.

As for the original game, I can still say that the ending felt good, despite seeing it before on the Xbox.  I played through the The Writer previously (when I first bought into the Alan Wake Humble Bundle) so I shan't play it again.  I have started up the The Signal, though.  You get a short (and indirect) reference to the concert scene.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 01:57:26 AM »

i haven't tried American Nightmare, but The Writer DLC was really good
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 07:26:09 AM »

I quite enjoyed The Writer and The Signal. They were great additions to the main story. I also really liked Thomas Zane so it was nice to do more with him.

The repetitive nature of American Nightmare was a deal breaker though.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 09:17:52 AM »

Spoiler (hover to show)

barry is the best thing about that game imo, i love good comic relief characters.

I have to start off by saying that I didn't play the game, but I did watch a complete playthrough of it (with only some deaths edited out, if deaths in an area got excessive). I also found Barry to be a great character. Yeah, a little annoying at first, but he really grows on you. Kind of a George Costanza type. Anyway, just curious, but did anyone think that Barry might be in on some sort of subplot against you during the game? I couldn't help but have those feelings, since your reality is completely distorted.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 09:26:25 AM »

Excited talking about this game here. As I mentioned above, I did watch a playthrough by NukemDukem on YouTube. I don't always do this, but because the subject matter seemed so fascinating, and I don't own a 360, I couldn't resist. The cool thing about the playthrough I watched, which contained commentary, was that the player was not a big fan of survival horror titles and was always frightened and jumpy (really funny, yet a very realistic experience). However, despite his fear, he continually kept saying, "I just can't put this game down. I have to know what happens." The playthrough included some deaths, but when there were over 3 in one spot, he edited the rest of them out, but often said in the commentary how many tries it took him. I thought this made the playthrough more realistic and also more enjoyable for me.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 11:55:31 AM »

I started The Signal yesterday but don't know if I'm going to play through it.  While I am interested to see the extra content, I'm finding the constant barrage of enemies to be pretty tedious and annoying to deal with.  I had the same frustrations with Episode 6 of the main game.  Maybe I'll just watch a playthrough on Youtube.

Spoiler (hover to show)

I have to start off by saying that I didn't play the game, but I did watch a complete playthrough of it (with only some deaths edited out, if deaths in an area got excessive). I also found Barry to be a great character. Yeah, a little annoying at first, but he really grows on you. Kind of a George Costanza type. Anyway, just curious, but did anyone think that Barry might be in on some sort of subplot against you during the game? I couldn't help but have those feelings, since your reality is completely distorted.

While I never suspected Barry to be involved in any sort of malicious intent toward Alan, he definitely reminded me of George.  I think that big jacket he always wore had something to do with it.  "It's gore tex!"  Tongue

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »

definitely costanza-like
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 03:54:32 PM »

I bet Barry invented the Bro.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length