RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:28:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | November Retro Community Playthrough - Super Metroid 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Print
Author Topic: November Retro Community Playthrough - Super Metroid  (Read 44021 times)
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2014, 09:27:04 AM »

twice today I have spent an hour running around aimlessly.  
I think this is one of the most fun games to run around aimlessly in. The controls and the way you move in this game is fantastic.

it really is an amazing game, i feel exactly the same about wondering where this game has been all my life.
I'm sure Super Metroid was wondering where you and a few others were in 1994. I'm surprised so many people here haven't played this game. It was a huge blockbuster when it came out.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »

I honest think that the difficulty and time sync of the original was enough to scare anyone off when it came out. I can honestly say that I had no desire in repeating that experience.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2014, 10:01:38 AM »

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it scared off too many people. It sold extremely well in the US. It got top reviews from every magazine at the time and it has consistently been thought of as a top 10 game of all-time by just about every magazine and critical website since it's release. In 2003, EGM called it the best game of all-time.

I dunno...I guess everyone's world is a little different. When this game came out, it was the only thing that mattered. Everyone I knew was playing this game. The rental store had like 3 copies of this game (which was nuts).

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2014, 01:14:12 AM »

Random save file wipe FML Sad

Fortunately I hadn't made any real progress and don't have much to make up, so I'm still in.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2014, 03:17:54 AM »

that sucks Raidou Sad are your contacts clean? could have been a bad connection.

@Jerry, i was only 4 when this game came out and went from my grandparent's NES straight to N64...i had a super nintendo from around 10 and on, but only ever owned super mario world all the way up until i started collecting.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2014, 10:26:11 AM »

Random save file wipe FML Sad

Fortunately I hadn't made any real progress and don't have much to make up, so I'm still in.

All save files, or just one? If it's all, your battery may be dying.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2014, 03:52:42 PM »

It's been interesting, playing this game by the checkpoints. Not sure how many times I have played, but this is a new one for sure. Achieved the checkpoint for week 3, this morning.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »

Congrats Mike! Hope you are enjoying it. First time playing this game right?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2014, 08:27:54 PM »

Congrats Mike! Hope you are enjoying it. First time playing this game right?

First time? No.

Not sure how many times I have played Super Metroid. I am guessing around 8 or 9? I have played enough times that certain Boss strategies are forever in my memory. I am no speed runner though. I still get stuck at times and spend awhile wandering before I remember the current goal. LoZ:LttP and Final Fantasy II were always my favorite SNES games as a kid...until Super Metroid, Shadowrun and Final Fantasy III all came along to give the other two a run for their money.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2014, 07:44:44 PM »

Did you ever get your round going again Raidu?

Has anyone else run through the game again to get a better clear time/item %?

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2014, 09:57:59 PM »

ahhh son of a B&^% how did I miss this. Sorry I have been kinda MIA ha. I guess I can always have a quick late start. I have it on virtual console and SNES as well. Which to play hmmmm ha. I also have been meaning to find the old VHS tape I recorded back in the 90's of me doing a speed run ha. It would be interesting to see how fast I did it and what items I got. I know I def didn't do any sequence breaking back than

Now your playing with power!
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2014, 01:04:39 AM »

I'd love to watch that tape.  I used to record myself running Mega Man X on VHS, but I have no idea where the tapes are.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2014, 08:22:40 AM »

Welcome to the playthrough Russ. Glad to have you.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2014, 09:40:27 AM »

I spent a TON of time on this game over the weekend, and accomplished a lot!  I beat the boss I was struggling with earlier, got the Grapple Beam, the Gravity Suit, the Space Jump, the Plasma Beam, and the Screw Attack!  I beat Phantoon, Botwoon, the big flying boss that grabs hold of you, and am now in the final area trying to make my way to what I believe is the fight with Ridley (large Pterodactyl-like boss?).  Yes, I cheated and have consulted a Super Metroid guide, as well as some YouTube playthroughs, but most of those just revealed the specific secrets or entrances I missed - I covered a lot of ground going back and forth, trying to uncover every inch of the map previously, so a lot of the areas that the YT play-through uncovered, I had already seen.

I also spent over an hour in the area with the speed run and ramp jump up to the top-left of the map (can't remember which area), and then you had to use the Grapple Beam to swing from place to place all the way over to the top-right side of the room.  Until I became more proficient with the GB, it was a fool's errand.  HOLY COW, I dislike the Grapple Beam.  Cool idea, cool if you know how to use it right, but it sure takes some getting used to, and it's hard to master.  There was a spot where you grab on to a "grapple block" and can spin around to the top to get an item (Energy Tank, if memory serves), and it took forever before I could control the beam or my trajectory well enough to obtain that.  I dislike how the beam immediately "sucks you in" to the block you're connecting to.  I'm also not fond of the wall jump.  I'm used to wall jumping like in Batman on NES - simple, elegant, and effective.  SM's wall jump seems to be just a bit more complicated than it needs to be.  I do quite enjoy the Space Jump, though it takes a bit of getting used to before using it becomes second nature.  Still, I'm enjoying myself, and every time I uncover an upgrade, I'm like a little kid, pumping my fist and yelling "YESSSSSS!"  My wife probably thinks I'm going nuts Smiley

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2014, 10:16:54 AM »

Ha! Ha! Fantastic that you are enjoying this game and glad you consulted a guide. Seems that it gave you just enough to get you going in the right direction.

Your frustrations with the grapple beam, wall jumping, and getting use to the space jump are all things we discussed last night in the podcast. And I actually laughed out loud when you were describing "the room" you were having difficulty with the grapple beam in:

I also spent over an hour in the area with the speed run and ramp jump up to the top-left of the map (can't remember which area), and then you had to use the Grapple Beam to swing from place to place all the way over to the top-right side of the room.  Until I became more proficient with the GB, it was a fool's errand.

This room is the big one in Maridia, and yes, we all mentioned how much we hated it. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length