RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:10:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Storing collection in a certain style room 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Storing collection in a certain style room  (Read 6872 times)
A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 10:58:09 PM »

First world problems. Waiting for my parents to finish some shelves that I commissioned them to build for me, so I can reclaim my dresser for clothes instead of games, and not have all my clothes piled on a bed in my spare bedroom. lol. No slanted walls, just lack of adequate shelving for how I envision the room. Same problem Crabby has right now.

Lack of adequate shelving, you say? I think I'm familiar with that one:

[img width=700 height=525]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-SBOYSQenL7U/UWH6HkRTf5I/AAAAAAAABAU/pQzfBDc7aZg/w1185-h889-no/WP_000735.jpg[/img]

I'd like to have your problem  Grin

My collection is nowhere near that large, but since I've been collecting for 20+ years, and have most major consoles from the NES to last gen, I've compiled quite a library.  My games are scattered throughout the house in plastic tubs.  Some are under my bed, some are under the spare bed in the next room, my NES carts are in long tubs in a stack in that room, and some of my other games are in tubs stacked up next to my computer desk in the dining room.  My wife has begrudgingly agreed to let me pursue a nice bookshelf that I can set up in the dining room to hopefully consolidate all my games (or the vast majority) in that location, so I'm looking for something high quality that I can use.

My solution was comendere a 2nd room ( my bed room for the library of games carts CDs and other assorted good and gamey ) while my primary room is a console room

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
+ Prototype and Demo cartridges
+ manuals and boxes
+ Atari 130XE system, and any system boxes outside of the Atari 400 system.
Check out my Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at:
[url]http://www.a8museum.com[
calistarwind
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 11:06:08 PM »

So we found the near perfect house recently and bought it due to price and a good school district. Only problem I'm back in a small game room again. The third bedroom in every house was super small but I am not so addicted to my collection that I would take my daughters bigger room. Any how it is back to the drawing board to maximize storage and get all my games on the shelves. I may be weeding out some of my collection at this point. It's going to hurt, I won't lie.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 12:50:16 PM »

Vertical storage is your friend!

If you are REALLY crafty you can have shelving stacked 2 deep and have the row in front on a track and slide to access the ones behind it

_______________ <shelf one
____          ____ <shelf two on track. Missing 1/3 so you can slide left or right to access rows behind.

That scenario works best if you have a large number of uniform sized/shaped items obviously. And it would likely take up the same footprint as a "standard" bookshelf but if it was purpose made would likely offer more than 66% additional storage Wink

I should actually see about getting something made like that for myself.....

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 01:50:43 PM »

I finally got my shelves, which only temporarily bought me space. All of my Sega stuff is on an Ikea bookshelf, for the moment:

[img width=700 height=933]http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag478/michaelrancourt/0A80C479-A26A-4AB5-9350-8441E03E9DB9_zps8we6n20l.jpg[/img]

And I got my dresser back for clothes (It was previously used for all of my NES/SNES games. My new Nintendo shelves:

[img width=700 height=933]http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag478/michaelrancourt/CDBDEA6F-36AF-4724-B080-1339E4DFAB33_zpszp9ly3sb.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=525]http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag478/michaelrancourt/B63F3D40-8A0D-4424-AAD8-4C9A94600FD9_zpsnyqk7t3s.jpg[/img]

I had my dad build them at a certain height, so they are just under the ledge, on the wall. I like using that ledge for games as well. My next plan, is to install shelf brackets above that ledge, to utilize the whole wall for game storage. The only problem, is I want to reno that room at some point in the near future, so I basically have to poop or get off the pot.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 02:00:12 PM »

Also, notice my Oak Bo staff in the top pic, for on those days that I feel like Donatello.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 02:44:16 PM »

Vertical storage is your friend!

If you are REALLY crafty you can have shelving stacked 2 deep and have the row in front on a track and slide to access the ones behind it

_______________ <shelf one
____          ____ <shelf two on track. Missing 1/3 so you can slide left or right to access rows behind.

That scenario works best if you have a large number of uniform sized/shaped items obviously. And it would likely take up the same footprint as a "standard" bookshelf but if it was purpose made would likely offer more than 66% additional storage Wink

I should actually see about getting something made like that for myself.....

Nice to see someone's using that suggestion, or at least suggesting it besides myself.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 02:48:41 PM »

If i could have put shelving over every wall in my room when i was younger i would have.
I actually wanted to get rid of my bed and dresser so i could fit more storage.

Ahhh the good ole days.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 12:41:41 AM »

rearranging my game room after quite a long time of it looking the same. compressing the entertainment stuff into one half of the room, and turning the other half into more of a general living room.

edit: this is a much bigger job than expected but so far i'm happy with how it's turning out. i'll make an updated room tour when it's all finished, but it could take a couple weeks...i need more furniture with this new layout.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:53:57 PM by techwizard » Logged
calistarwind
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 10:55:59 PM »

If you needed to say narrow down your collection, what items could you rid yourself of to make room yet not completely destroy the value? Example: figures, should you keep everything boxed or systems, only keep the boxes for the rare stuff or everything. I am really fighting to make room and still display a few items.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:13:06 PM by calistarwind » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 11:55:42 PM »

Take the cardboard boxes, break them down (properly, not ripping them apart) and store them flat. Store the manuals and inserts in a binder or small storage tote, and optical media in a binder. The cases take all the room for optical, but most can be easily replaced (generic system cases). Some, like Saturn, may have difficulty. You can still display the binder and showcase the others. For cartridge...harder to make room. :/

calistarwind
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 06:06:27 PM »

Thanks Shadow.Smiley I am not one to not display games as much as I have system boxes for a lot of my systems, boxes of boxed figures, tons of posters and lots and lots of promo items from my years of retail work. I'll be honest I'm a bit of a horder but am unsure how to approach getting rid of stuff that adds nothing to my collection. No matter how big my room was I would find a way to fill it with every piece of game related paper I could find. I always have this nagging feeling if I throw something a way I may regret it later. I urgently need to find a way of breaking this habit.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length