RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:31:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | December Shmup Competition Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24 Print
Author Topic: December Shmup Competition Thread  (Read 73157 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2014, 08:14:19 AM »

My best from last night. This score was after a warp, and agree that it's a big bonus:

[img width=700 height=522]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/necrom99/Video%20Game%20Scores/6229D78D-7DB8-4A4A-BE15-4284FA50C959_zps7ut8hz5d.jpg[/img]

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2014, 08:40:00 AM »

Without the warp

[img width=640 height=480]http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a420/JerryGreenwood/2014-12-02183223_zpsc167efe9.jpg[/img]
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »

New scores posted. Looks like the Gradius competition is heating up a bit. Wink

Just playing Gradius for a short time last night, I gained a much better appreciation for the game. I know that may sound silly, but as a kid, this was one of the more frustrating titles in my collection. It's great coming back to these older games with more skill and experience and I'm  having a lot of fun with this game. Though sometimes aggravating (i.e. getting stuck in certain spots without power-ups), to me, this game has that "okay, one more time feel" and I don't so much mind having to starting over.

For me, getting heavily powered up on the first stage is super important. So much so, if I die or miss too many power-ups, I hit the reset. My strategy for power-ups on the first stage goes like this and I'm curious to hear what others methods are.

1. speed up - the first option and it allows me to get to the top/bottom of the screen quicker to finish a series of enemies)
2. first option - extra firepower and area coverage is nice
3. missiles - no longer have to worry about enemies on bottom of screen and take out many option-holding enemies below me that I might miss)
4. option 2 - added firepower for volcanoes
5. ? - shield is nice for boss insurance
6. lasers - cut through enemies like butter, usually acquire these at start of 2nd stage

*I never really use the double shot. Am I the only one?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2014, 11:04:21 AM »

...as a kid, this was one of the more frustrating titles in my collection.
This game is equally as hard as Silver Surfer. So is Life Force and Fantasy Zone 1 & 2 (Master System). It's just that a lot of people use the Konami code for this and Life Force.

For me, getting heavily powered up on the first stage is super important. So much so, if I die or miss too many power-ups, I hit the reset. My strategy for power-ups on the first stage goes like this and I'm curious to hear what others methods are.

*I never really use the double shot. Am I the only one?
Here's 2 things that I do that might be helpful to people.

#1 - You have to go into the game with the mindset of "I'm not going to die". Yeah, obviously don't die, but what I mean is - get juiced up ASAP and never lose your power-ups. This is how you beat Gradius or a game like Silver Surfer. When you're powered-up, YOU have the advantage in the game, not them.
I hit reset if I die on the first level too, that's how important I think those power-ups are.

#2 - Don't look at the enemies, look at your ship. My game plan has always been - dodge and shoot blindly. In most cases (for any game), if you're nicely powered up, your random bullets will kill off a good portion of the enemies on the screen. When your eyes shift from your ship, that's when a stray bullet hits you. Concentrate on dodging everything, the kills and points will come inadvertently.

As for Gradius specifically, in most situations, I first go for 2 Speed Ups. Like I said above, I highly value dodging enemies and bullets. I believe speed gives you the best chance to survive the longest.

For stage 1, I get - Speed, Speed, Missile, Option. After that I've been mixing it up, but I really like Lasers for the volcano.

I usually don't use double shot, but I found it useful for stage 3 with the Easter Island heads.
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2014, 12:34:23 PM »

Quick question (and my apologies if this has been covered already) but is it acceptable to use emulated versions of the retro games? I'm asking more for the fact that I'll be playing them on a Dreamcast and thusly using a different controller than everyone else.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »

I think it's okay. As long as there is no rapid fire button on the controller.
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2014, 02:51:54 PM »

I think it's okay. As long as there is no rapid fire button on the controller.

someone mentioned using turbo controllers a page or 2 back, just wanted to clarify if we should or shouldn't use these? i won't be myself, but want to make sure everything is fair.

also my strategy isn't far off of jerrygreenwood's, i like to go for double speed asap, it helps so much with getting between the top and bottom and you can kill everything with the extra boost. i always go straight for laser after that, being able to cut through everything is so nice. normally i go for missles next, but i really feel i need to go for double option after that, especially on the volcano.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:53:34 PM by techwizard » Logged
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2014, 03:05:18 PM »

It says on the first page to NOT use turbo controllers. I had to pause Gradius 2 or 3 times last night because my thumb was tired.
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2014, 03:42:25 PM »

It says on the first page to NOT use turbo controllers. I had to pause Gradius 2 or 3 times last night because my thumb was tired.

that's what i get for not reading the entire first post Wink
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2014, 04:34:49 PM »

Quick question (and my apologies if this has been covered already) but is it acceptable to use emulated versions of the retro games? I'm asking more for the fact that I'll be playing them on a Dreamcast and thusly using a different controller than everyone else.

Yeah, I'm good with emulators. No rapid fire please. Everyone's thumb should be as sore as mine. Smiley

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2014, 04:48:08 PM »

Why on earth did they not call it Thunder Force IV in the US?!

It had something to do with licensing, though I don't know the details. Not sure why it was "Lightening" and not "Lightning", either.

@singlebanana - I don't recall how you unlock WR-03, it's been years since I did so. You may want to consult a FAQ on the matter. But as I said, you can spam the lock-on laser pretty hard to track up 50+ chains, resulting in a clear advantage in favor of that craft, so it may be in the competition's best interest to disqualify it.

Okay, I'm going to put the final ruling down on the WR-03, since I played through the game last night.....yes, played through it. Seems that you have limitless continues that allow your score to increase as you continue, so I discuss a means of possibly working this out below.

(1) The WR-03 is a selectable craft from the start menu in the game. Nothing is needed to unlock it. Since everyone can use it, it will remain in the competition.

(2) In terms of scoring, I noticed that after I finished the game, there was an end screen that not only posted my total score for the playthrough, but also tracked something called "Total Plays" (I believe this is what is was called, can't find picture). I assume this number represents how many total times you continued in order to finish the game. I will playthrough it again before the last week of the month to determine if this is accurate. If so, my suggestion is that instead of high score, participants will be ranked that week based on how many times they have to continue to finish the game. Basically, the least number of continues will take the top spot. If there is a tie at any position, high score will determine finish order.

For instance, lets say that myself and MetalFRO are at the top of the leaderboard with only 6 continues to finish. If his total points are higher than mine, then he will earn 10 points for the week and I will earn 9.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:51:21 PM by singlebanana » Logged

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2014, 05:22:16 PM »

It's interesting to see so much variance in the Gradius strategies, and yes I reset if I even die in level 3.  I can usually get to level 4 now without dying, although it took forever to get to that point.

I go: speed, option 1, sheild, missile, option 2, and then maybe laser.  For some reason I feel like the standard bullet is more effective than the laser at certain points so I just leave it alone.

As far as dodging strats, Jerry hit it right on.  Every once in awhile I'll glance over to see what's coming, but you gotta keep your eyes on your ship.  I like to use the level design itself as a way to avoid things.  Like in 3 level I try to stay behind as many heads as possible for as long as I can to avoid the onslaught of rings.  On top of that many of the ground turrets can't shoot horizontally, so if you hang out by them as closely as possible until the level scrolls enough you can zip through some dangerous spots pretty easily
In that level.

Has anyone else started R-Type yet?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »

I played R-Type for a short time last night and didn't think I put up a good enough score to bother recording it. I think that game's gonna take a little manual reading. Smiley

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2014, 05:29:45 PM »

There is a tutorial mode that pretty much does the trick.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2014, 08:04:28 PM »

I tend to go speed, option 1, shield, missile, double, option 2, and sneak in another speed up at some point in there. I'm surprised that I am the only one using double.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length