RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:05:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | so is the arcade officially dead? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: so is the arcade officially dead?  (Read 8245 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 01:09:47 AM »

There is a bar-cade sorta in my area.
I think it was 7$s for unlimited play when i went.

Drinks and food were both rather fair on pricing too.

A bar-cade is a completely different environment from a dive bar that happens to also have arcade cabs in it.
It is also likely to be staffed completely by people who also share and love the hobby and have a vested interest in not having their establishment turn into a dive bar.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 01:14:44 AM »

Oh.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 07:06:26 AM »

Most people only hang out for an hour or so maximum. Not everyone is the type that will stay there all day and even those people aren't going to pay $30 daily if they are return customers. Also, no one is going to pay $30 to play the amount of machines that are at most bars. Where I play, there are about 20 or more candy cabs, 4 pins, and 6 or so stand alone cabs. The place also sells monthly and yearly passes.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »

Where i was it was ONLY cabs and pins.
None of that other crane/claw games of chance junk Tongue

http://hadleyquarters.com/our-games/

Looks like they keep 25 machines out at any given time due to limited floor space.
When i was there last Asteroids was displayed in that page and available for play.

As for Drinks it looks like those prices have gone up and are now more in line with prices of other places that serve alcohol. I remember it being a little cheaper... But it turns out it was 5$s for unlimited play when i went.

As for bringing in the family:
"Saturday morning cartoons are back! Every Saturday morning from 10am-2pm, pay $10 ($8 for kids!) and get unlimited cereal, cartoons on the projector and unlimited tokens to play games! For grown-ups, we’ve got mimosas, bloody marys, and more!"
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:53:54 AM by Izret101 » Logged

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 09:25:47 AM »

Arcades are dead in the way that Drive-In movie theaters are dead.  

Sure, there are still a few around, nowhere near as many as there used to be, but the ones that are still around are pretty cool.

My wife and I go to Buffalo once a year to visit her family and every time we go to the Transit Drive In Lockport.  It's my favorite movie theater.  We turn the car backwards, pull out the lawn chairs, blankets, and snacks, and watch a triple feature.  The most recent trip featured Elysium, The Wolverine, and Pacific Rim.  It's a magical place unlike any other and I cherish the memories of each trip to the Transit Drive In.  

At the end of the day, though, Drive In movie theaters are pretty much gone.  I feel the same way about arcades. There are still a few here and there, but they aren't what they used to be.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:37:35 AM by wildbil52 » Logged

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 09:33:21 AM »

That sounds like an awesome triple feature Bil! We actually live very close to a Drive in (like 10 minutes from our house) so we typically go a couple times a year. Last year we went with my wife's cousin who was visiting and she sat with her cousin in her car and my son and I stayed in ours. The movies weren't great, but we had fun talking through them and the food at the concession here is fantastic (although you probably don't want to be stuck in a car with me after having their chili......).

I'm slowly trying to revive the arcade scene in my neck of the woods. Currently shopping around for a bigger space for my store and have a lot of Pinball parts incoming for some repairs. Should be fun!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 09:38:54 AM »

I grew up with the benefit of having a drive-in 10 mins away from my hometown. That's what we did throughout our teenage years...pile a truckload of people in, haul ass up to the drive-in, hop in the bed of the truck and cuddle up with our lady of choice for that particular week...I sat through many more movies than I ever actually watched at that drive-in (both because of said ladies and because we did more goofing around than movie-watchinh)...good times.

Not to mention that admission was $6.00 per car...so packing 6-8 people into the vehicle meant super cheap dates for everyone.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 10:34:58 AM »

My parent's neighbors still own a Drive-In that is still going pretty strong. It is about a mile from where I grew up. Great memories.

The said thing is that with the new digital conversion, most of these places can't afford to upgrade their projection. Sadly, we're going to see many more of these die out. Sad

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 10:37:17 AM »

I didn't know that, Rich, that's awesome that it's still going strong.  Are they also the operators?  Did you ever work there?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 12:02:52 PM »

I didn't know that, Rich, that's awesome that it's still going strong.  Are they also the operators?  Did you ever work there?

Well..... I went to the drive-in's FB page to post a link. And I hate what I found............... well, that's a big downer to the day...   :'(     :'(      :'(       :'(

http://www.myfoxcarolinas...ountain-drive-in-to-close

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 04:49:14 PM »

Super sad.  You are always welcome to take a trip to the Transit Drive in with me.  It's just a short 12 hour drive for you.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length