RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:41:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | NES Questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: NES Questions  (Read 6627 times)
the_wizard_666
Sega 32X
Canada

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »

Offhand, I think the two gold carts are the only color variants for licensed games.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 01:55:36 PM »

What about those awful video store stickers?  Any advice on removing and cleaning them up?

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 06:41:24 PM »

Have you tried a hair dryer?

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 06:28:32 AM »

Offhand, I think the two gold carts are the only color variants for licensed games.

What two games had gold carts?  I can only think of Zelda 1.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 06:28:45 AM »

Have you tried a hair dryer?

I'll have to try that.

SMS set complete!
zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 07:56:57 AM »

What two games had gold carts?  I can only think of Zelda 1.

Zelda 2 also was released in gold and gray cart variations (gray being the latter classic series release)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure.  I don't recall that one as well as the first one.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 08:35:01 AM »

I second what Erik said and would like to add that for myself as an N64 collector, what's important in counting a game as part of the full set to me is that the game is unique. If it's a minor variant then it's not important, but if it has significant content differences (like Castlevania vs Castlevania Legacy of Darkness) or it's a special packaging variant (like the zelda collector's edition vs regular version) then I would count it. That's just my take on it, like Erik said in the end it's what matters to you that's important.

I could care less about screw variations.  I'm wondering about Cartridge color differences and the few games where there were two different publishers.

SMS set complete!
the_wizard_666
Sega 32X
Canada

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 02:35:46 PM »

Things like Impossible Mission II AVE and SEI versions, or Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Mindscape and Tengen versions count.  They are identical games, true, but being different publishers makes them a new listing.  You can't say "I'm getting all the Tengen releases" and then say you don't count Indy because you have the Mindscape version.  That said, things like The Untouchables, Metroid, both Zeldas, Gun.Smoke, etc, would be considered a major variant.  Those would not count as unique releases, and are never really "required" for a "complete" set, however many collectors see them as interesting enough to pursue them.  The next step down would be things like Black vs Blue color dreams, 3- or 5-screw licensed, square vs cut corner AVE, or revision variants of Wisdom Tree games and Action 52.  Again, they wouldn't be required, but they're interesting enough that some people want to get them all anyway.  Finally, you get the "Extreme Anal Collector" variants, which include things like revision variants, -1 variants, etc.  What one includes or excludes would be up to the individual collector, save for the publisher variations (unless you're excluding the entire publisher, although I can't understand why someone would do such a thing).
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 07:25:24 PM »

Things like Impossible Mission II AVE and SEI versions, or Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Mindscape and Tengen versions count.  They are identical games, true, but being different publishers makes them a new listing.  You can't say "I'm getting all the Tengen releases" and then say you don't count Indy because you have the Mindscape version.  That said, things like The Untouchables, Metroid, both Zeldas, Gun.Smoke, etc, would be considered a major variant.  Those would not count as unique releases, and are never really "required" for a "complete" set, however many collectors see them as interesting enough to pursue them.  The next step down would be things like Black vs Blue color dreams, 3- or 5-screw licensed, square vs cut corner AVE, or revision variants of Wisdom Tree games and Action 52.  Again, they wouldn't be required, but they're interesting enough that some people want to get them all anyway.  Finally, you get the "Extreme Anal Collector" variants, which include things like revision variants, -1 variants, etc.  What one includes or excludes would be up to the individual collector, save for the publisher variations (unless you're excluding the entire publisher, although I can't understand why someone would do such a thing).

What's the story with the Untouchables and Gun.Smoke?  I didn't know those 2 had variants.  What the reason behind the different color carts for the Wisdom Tree games?

SMS set complete!
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 07:29:54 PM »

For Untouchables, I did some research and added some Trivia for the variation:

Original Release: Film Adaptation
Second Release: TV Adaptation

This release was modified to coincide with the TV series adaptation of the "The Untouchables" film.
There are source code changes in this release.

Gun.Smoke had a reprinted package/label. Not sure why.

Wisdom Tree/Color Dreams were just different printings with what they had available. I don't believe that the shells were mixed for any purpose other than being what they had available from other printings to reduce cost.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:32:45 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 10:18:59 PM »

Shit, Impossible Mission II has 2 releases?  Blast the NES with their duplicate titles with different publishers!  Anyone know if there are any game play differences?

Nevermind... It's posted above.  I'm a dope.  Time for bed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:21:37 PM by shaggy » Logged

SMS set complete!
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 07:26:46 AM »

@Shadow Kisuragi: I've heard others mention that the label for Gun.Smoke was changed due to the bar in the background. I haven't been able to confirm this.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length