RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:34:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Twitch Streaming & YouTube Capture Equipment 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Twitch Streaming & YouTube Capture Equipment  (Read 2248 times)
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: June 17, 2015, 02:40:59 PM »

With my Game Boy Guru project, I'd like to maybe do some Twitch streaming, as well as possibly record some streams to then later upload to my YouTube channel.  I have both a SNES/Super Game Boy setup, as well as a GameCube with GB Player.  For both, I would want to use S-Video, due to the superior quality to strictly Composite.  I've never really researched this stuff extensively, and while I've heard names like Elegato and Hauppauge thrown around, I honestly don't know what's best, or what will work well for both purposes.  If it had composite as well, that would be ideal, so I could also convert some old VHS tapes, home movies, etc. to digital format, but my main purpose would be streaming.

So far, I'm looking at the Hauppauge HD PVR, Avermedia's AverTV USB HD DVR units, and the Black Magic Design Intensity Shuttle based on this article:
http://www.teamliquid.net...treaming-101-by-thegunrun

That Black Magic unit looks very full-featured, and would offer every kind of streaming I might want to do: Composite, S-Video, Component, and even HDMI.  Not terribly keen on the $200 price tag at this point, but I could probably swallow that if it would help drive traffic to my site, Twitter, Tumblr, YouTube, etc. and get more exposure for my project.  Has anyone used these devices, or would anyone have suggestions of another model/device I should look into?  I'm kind of kicking this idea around, because I'd like to do more than just the reviews I've been doing so far, but I don't want to jump into something I won't be able to do right the first time, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BJoin1979
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »

Hello,
If you are just streaming S-video then you can get away with a cheaper solution. It is only when you want to stream HDMI @ 60  fps 720p on the PS3 and Xbox 360 generation and up that you need the cards you listed. For 8 and 16 bit consoles just get a cheap capture card or device that alows S-video. These should be around $15 to $40.

You do not want to just plug your console into the device and play on your monitor because of the lag attributed with processing the video. So you can;

1. Buy a cheap CRT TV with video out and hook the console to the TV and run cables from the TV out to the capture device.

2. Buy an A/V distribution amplifier and plug the console to it and run the outputs from it to the TV and the capture device.

http://www.amazon.com/Rad...=radio+shack+av+amplifier

3. Buy some cheap splitter cables from Radio shack to split your video and audio RCA cables from your console to your tv and capture card. This will darken the image on your TV and monitor because you are weakening the signal when you split it. This is why an A/V amplifier is good as the image will remain the same.

The main point of this is to play on your TV while outputting to your capture device at the same time. There will be no lag playing from the TV this way.

I hope this helps some.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »

For non-HD, I use a Dazzle. It's cheap, and it captures without any latency for me.

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 05:11:04 PM »

@BJoin79: The only problem I see with that scenario is that a "cheap CRT TV" is note likely to have S-Video inputs, let alone output.  I want the S-Video for clarity over Composite, so if lag is the issue, I'd rather spend a bit more on a unit that should have no problem with lag, and give me additional options for other streaming/recording, should I decide to go beyond the scope of just SGB/GBP streaming.  As for the lag on a cheaper device, we're talking about Game Boy games here, so I'm not sure it would present much of an issue anyway.  Something to consider, at least.

@Shadow Kisuragi: Which model was that, the DV 100, or the DVD Recorder?  Can you stream with it, or just capture footage to record?  Can I assume I can plug my console into it and play it via my PC/laptop display while streaming/recording?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 05:32:43 PM »

Essentially, I did this:

You can use Xsplit/OBS to broadcast directly from your PC if you're using emulator.

BJoin1979
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 05:51:09 PM »

The video that Shadow Kisuragi posted is good and probably the least expensive way to do it as a Dazzle is not very expensive and I believe you can buy one with S-video. You then could get an A/V Distribution amplifier with S-video and use it instead of the splitter cables in the video. Then you can use OBS to stream to Twitch.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 05:52:37 PM »

Mine's old and still has S-video + Composite.

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 09:43:42 PM »

I'd like to avoid using an emulator, if at all possible. I don't have anything against them, per se, but for streaming, I'd like the experience to be as authentic as I can provide. The Dazzle seems like the least expensive way to accomplish that, and yet still give a true presentation of the game because I'm playing a real cart on real hardware. Thanks for the suggestions and info so far. Keep it coming, if you think there's more I should be considering! Smiley

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 10:17:32 PM »

The advice BJoin and Shadow have given you is likely the best for your situation. I'll also suggest reading the information Speed Demos Archives has on recording gameplay footage.

https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Recording

Good luck with the project. It's something I'd be eager to check out.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
BJoin1979
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 04:31:09 AM »

The site that Fleach linked to is excellent and very informative. It should be of great help to you.
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 08:33:06 AM »

Another friend suggested maybe I get a VGA capable capture card, buy European SCART RGB cables that work for SNES and GC, hook those to a SCART-to-VGA converter, then do it that way for best possible quality.  Sounds good in theory, but with all those sources to pass through, is there a possibility of even more lag?  Any thoughts on that?

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 07:36:47 AM »

Lag won't be (or shouldn't be) an issue if you split the signal. One going to the TV and the other going to your computer.

I think you might have researched a little too much and now you're second guessing your options. My advice would be to read up on the return policy of various retailers and go with the best service. Buy your equipment and if you don't like the picture quality of the final product, return what you bought.

This is what Crabby recorded I use when I wanted to take in-game screen shots. He uses this from Honestech: http://www.honestech.com/.../vhs-to-dvd-50-deluxe.asp

You need to plug your game console into your TV Video In and plug this device into the Video Out. You play and watch the TV and your computer is doing all the recording. No lag at all. It's software isn't the fanciest, but it gets the job done.

Send me a PM if you have any questions. I'm happy to help.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length