RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:02:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Famicom Disk System - FDSStick ROM loader 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Famicom Disk System - FDSStick ROM loader  (Read 3962 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: August 10, 2015, 05:41:31 PM »

For those that might be interested in playing FDS games, but afraid of unreliable disks, here is a solution that will only require you to have a Famicom, an FDS RAM cart, and this new device: http://www.retrocollect.c...loader-now-available.html

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 06:11:44 PM »

What a time to run out of cash!  I'm definitely interested in this, as I expect my FDS and disks (like all FDS and disks) to eventually die one day.  Emulating the disks like an Everdrive emulates carts sounds like my dream back up, especially at such a reasonable price.

Speaking of the Everdrive, it's a wonderful piece of gamer-friendly tech, but I've had compatibility issues with the extra FDS sound channel.  Could that be user error?  Sure, but emulating a disk directly to the RAM adapter gives me hope of greater, easier compatibility.

Thanks for the news, Duke!

Edit: I bought one.  Looking forward to testing it out and letting everyone know how it works.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:31:18 PM by Ikariniku » Logged

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 01:05:10 PM »

@Duke: Thanks!

@Ikariniku: I look forward to reading your review.

Also check out http://nerdlypleasures.bl...act-solution-to-your.html for a review of the product.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 02:43:22 PM »

@Duke: Thanks!

@Ikariniku: I look forward to reading your review.

Also check out http://nerdlypleasures.bl...act-solution-to-your.html for a review of the product.

The Nerdly Pleasures review is way more useful than I could hope to be.  It's practically a user guide.  However, I do intend to give my hands-on impressions and, more importantly, a comparison between the FDSStick, the Everdrive, and original software.  The Everdrive's poor FDS sound emulation helped spark my interest in FDS collecting.  I can think of the specific moment in Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa when the sound turned to discordant bleeps and bloops and I knew that the Everdrive was letting me down.  I want to see if the FDSStick can do better.

(Spoiler: I hear it does, but I'll test it, myself.)

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 05:18:01 PM »

I can't see how the FDSStick could produce anything other than the original disk audio, as the FM sound chip is in the RAM adapter. I didn't order one yet, but I will be picking one up.

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 05:46:14 PM »

I can't see how the FDSStick could produce anything other than the original disk audio, as the FM sound chip is in the RAM adapter. I didn't order one yet, but I will be picking one up.

I've come to learn that a lot of my curiosity stems from my lack of understanding of how the FDS hardware works.  I thought that the RAM adapter was a pass through or dummy cart while the "brains" of the device was buried in the red box of the FDS.  Turns out, it's very much the opposite.  The RAM adapter does the heavy lifting, while the box is just the drive supplying bits and bytes to the RAM adapter.  The FDSStick, then, is a really elegant solution, and, barring some unforeseen shortfall of the device, I would recommend it and a RAM adapter to anyone looking to do some serious casual FDS playing.

While the smart money is on the FDSStick being a perfect emulation option, I still want to see it for myself.  Plus, I said I'd write something, even if it's just a backdoor way of voicing my dissatisfaction with the Everdrive FDS sound emulation.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 05:51:13 PM »

I'm with you there. I am much happier when using original hardware, and since this simply replaces the sometimes picky disk drive and leaves the RAM adapter in place to due its hardware job it seems perfect.

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 07:18:59 PM »

I've had a lot of success in my FDS collecting, but that's because I went in knowing the FDS' reputation for failure.  I bought my FDS from a U.S. seller on the Famicom World forum to reduce travel distance and increase seller reliability.  He said the belt had been replaced and the system had seen light use since the repair (hence why he was selling it off) and provided proof that the system worked before payment.

As for software, I buy only retail disks.  My one FDS disappointment comes from buying a rewritten disk of Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa only to receive the dreaded Error 22.  It seems my FDS's magnetic heads are not aligned for rewrites and pirates.  However, every official disk I've bought has worked flawlessly and without signs of bit rot.  Whether truly used games or new old stock, these nigh thirty year old yellow disks work without missing a beat.

However, logic dictates that time is not on my side, even with things proceeding to optimally.  That's where the FDSStick comes in.  If I'm going to emulate, I'd rather emulate software than hardware.  I've had much better results doing things this way.  The FDSStick is my back up for when the Bit Rot Reaper comes for my disks and my drive belt has turned to goo but the solid state RAM Adapter remains viable.

I'm even thinking about creating one of those adapter cables so I can write disks with the FDS.  Maybe I'll get some use out of that rewritten Upa disk, after all.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 09:19:57 PM »

I've never (luckily) run into a disk that doesn't work, and all of mine are retail. I have heard of some particular RAM chips going bad in the RAM adapters, but from what I read a replacement was easy enough to come by. Let's hope that it stays that way for some time.

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 09:34:31 PM »

Honestly, I would just buy a new RAM adapter.  I'm not very handy.  I have a very, very few NES carts that have chips that are slowly going bad.  I have a Battletoads cart that's straight up haunted after level 1, and my Dirty Harry cart softlocks at the title screen.  By comparison, my FDS disks have been a dream.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length