RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:03:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Sword Coast Legends Dungeon Master 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sword Coast Legends Dungeon Master  (Read 1621 times)
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« on: October 22, 2015, 03:01:49 PM »

Hi Everyone,

My two loves Video Games and Pen & Paper RPGs are joining forces in Sword Coast Legends.  I am going to pick it up for PS4. It has a Dungeon Master mode, where you can design a dungeon for other players to go through.  I am very interested in making dungeons for players to go through, and I am wondering if any of you would be interested in joining me.  I think it would be fun to have an RFGeneration Adventurers Guild.

I think the max players' per dungeon/adventure is 6. I can always do another group if interest is high.

The Regular edition is 39.99 and the Deluxe Digital Edition is 59.99.

Just respond to the forum if you are into this kind of thing. Of course you will need to have a PS4 to play with me, since it is not Cross Platform for PS4 players  Sad
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:54:26 PM by Fokakis79 » Logged

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 04:07:13 PM »

I was planning to get it.... on PC. I don't even console bro. Sorry.

I was really excited for this one, but the early reviews are less than stellar. I might be waiting for a decent price drop. Especially considering the high expectations that Pillars left me with earlier this year.

That said, bummer that quests can't be shared between platforms.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 04:29:18 PM »

I usually don't pay much attention to reviews.  I usually decide for myself with games.  I am impressed us as a people have figured out how to even make video games. So when I play video games, I generally don't complain too much about mechanics and graphics. As long as its playable, and I have fun with it, I am down for it. However, what are they saying about it, that makes people think it won't be that good? Just so I know to prepare myself for when I play the game.  Smiley

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »

Awesome! Had no knowledge of this prior. I also dig my pen and paper (been playing a bit of 5e with Crabby) I also own a PS4, so I will be down to play, when it comes out. Hopefully it's fun.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »

Awesome! Had no knowledge of this prior. I also dig my pen and paper (been playing a bit of 5e with Crabby) I also own a PS4, so I will be down to play, when it comes out. Hopefully it's fun.

Nice, I play D&D 5e quite a bit. Like twice a week. Playing a sandbox adventure right now, which was created by my DM. Would love to play with you when it comes out my PS+ Username is fokakis79. Would be great to play with you on other games as well.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:47:29 PM by Fokakis79 » Logged

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 07:50:37 AM »

I usually don't pay much attention to reviews.  I usually decide for myself with games.  I am impressed us as a people have figured out how to even make video games. So when I play video games, I generally don't complain too much about mechanics and graphics. As long as its playable, and I have fun with it, I am down for it. However, what are they saying about it, that makes people think it won't be that good? Just so I know to prepare myself for when I play the game.  Smiley

trust, I am the same way. And because of that I still plan to play this and make up my own mind. But there's review sites that I do at least read and it sometimes help me decide which games are higher priority for me to investigate at launch vs. wait for a sale. The particular review I read was at Rock Paper Shotgun (whom is always analytical and stays away from the old bullet points and 1-10 scores) mostly talked about how they were excited for this to replace pen n paper w/ friends, but the end result just felt sort of bland.

Like I said, I'm still interested for sure - but I also know that Pillars Of Eternity blew my f'ing mind this year. So any western RPG I play right now is going against a high water mark. It's probably best I wait a bit, let the community build up some interesting user content, and see if the devs flesh things out a bit more in the meantime.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 10:42:21 AM »

trust, I am the same way. And because of that I still plan to play this and make up my own mind. But there's review sites that I do at least read and it sometimes help me decide which games are higher priority for me to investigate at launch vs. wait for a sale. The particular review I read was at Rock Paper Shotgun (whom is always analytical and stays away from the old bullet points and 1-10 scores) mostly talked about how they were excited for this to replace pen n paper w/ friends, but the end result just felt sort of bland.

Like I said, I'm still interested for sure - but I also know that Pillars Of Eternity blew my f'ing mind this year. So any western RPG I play right now is going against a high water mark. It's probably best I wait a bit, let the community build up some interesting user content, and see if the devs flesh things out a bit more in the meantime.

I get what your saying now, it is what I thought it was going to be, which is a dungeon crawler. It might be best to wait for user content.  I agree with you, I think that as the game's community grows (hopefully) that there will be better user content and creative things being done with it. I will probably still get it, and play around with it at or around release time. Not sure what the community on PS4 will be though, it might not do well, it seems these types of games work best on PCs, not sure why that is. Sad

On a side note, I don't think video games will replace pen n paper w/ friends. They are just not comparable to each other, and it is really hard to recreate the experience you have hanging out with friends around a table, role-playing a character, and rolling dice. Don't get me wrong, games like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights are incredibly fun, no question. As I am sure Pillars of Eternity & Sword Coast Legend will be as well. 

Its just I think Pen n Paper has different challenges and flexibility to it. At the same time video games do things that Pen n Paper can't. I am glad the Rock, Paper, Shotgun article addresses that. Because I agree that when you add graphic visuals to Pen n Paper, it changes the game.  I have only seen screenshots of Pillars of Eternity so I can't talk much about it, except it looks amazing. 

Anyways, I am glad to hear someone on here is going to pick it up, as I think it deserves a chance. These types of games don't come around too often, so when I see them, I think they should be celebrated. 

Thanks for the article, you helped me find a reviewer that I might come to like.

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 01:29:50 PM »

see for me it replaces pen and paper because I can have the experience of getting together and playing games with my buddies every Thurs night. We laugh and have fun and try new games that we wouldn't otherwise. And we live in diff States. I can't do the same w/ paper as none of my gaming friends live anywhere near me.

Pillars is incredible tho. As a single player RPG - it's just amazing storytelling, amazing art, amazing world. Seriously one of my fav games of 2015. A candidate for GOTY even.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 02:56:14 PM »

see for me it replaces pen and paper because I can have the experience of getting together and playing games with my buddies every Thurs night. We laugh and have fun and try new games that we wouldn't otherwise. And we live in diff States. I can't do the same w/ paper as none of my gaming friends live anywhere near me.

Pillars is incredible tho. As a single player RPG - it's just amazing storytelling, amazing art, amazing world. Seriously one of my fav games of 2015. A candidate for GOTY even.

Yeah, that I can understand. There are apps and programs for playing Pen n Paper long distance, but it definitely isn't the same as doing it together in-person. So a video game that would make it a lot easier and fun for all to play should be attempted.  I wonder how one would go about making a video game rpg, where a DM/GM can design a whole campaign for players to go through, instead of just one dungeon. Is there one that already exist?

Maybe when I get a better computer, I will check out Pillars. Cause, it looks and from what you say, sounds like a great game.

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »

I haven't played it myself, but I've heard that Neverwinter Nights II had a crazy editor tool that allowed you to make your own campaigns.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »

I haven't played it myself, but I've heard that Neverwinter Nights II had a crazy editor tool that allowed you to make your own campaigns.

Yeah, never played it either.  Only played the first Neverwinter Nights a little bit. Maybe worth checking out!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length