RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:29:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Secret of Evermore - Retro Playthrough - November 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Secret of Evermore - Retro Playthrough - November 2015  (Read 10424 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 10:16:19 AM »

I have guests coming into town tonight who will be around for a few days, so I decided to make another push last night with the game.  I am now through the 3rd checkpoint and hope to get back to finishing the game sometime this upcoming weekend.  If anyone gets stuck or has questions about the game, let me know.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 05:54:37 PM »

I finished the Coliseum and did the marketplace thing (with minimal use of a guide).  I went to the Pyramid but got stuck, so I decided to go to the Hall of Collosia instead which is where I last saved.

I feel like the more I play this game, the more I like it.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 08:59:19 AM »

I feel like the more I play this game, the more I like it.

I'm happy to hear this.  I've really enjoyed this game myself.  The combat took me a little while to get use to, but once I did, I haven't have many problems. I spammed Crush on "multiple" throughout those pyramids. Kind of cheap, but it allows you to keep moving without much damage or direct combat and it helps you level up the spell for tougher battles latter. I gotta admit, I spam it every boss fight.

It seems that money in this game is always plentiful and I haven't had any problems (except for the very beginning) purchasing equipment. Every time I am at an alchemy mat dealer, I just fill up on whatever I'm not maxed out in.  While it makes the game easier, limitless materials makes the game a little too easy and pretty much negates searching for mats  later in the game.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2015, 10:12:45 AM »

Just got both of the diamond eyes last night.

It seems like our play styles are drastically different.  Other than Heal, I really haven't been using alchemy at all.  I've found physical attacks to be more than sufficient for taking out enemies, even bosses.  It helps that my dog's level 3 charge attack is doing ~400 damage per hit.

I've also had an abundance of money in the game.  Cost of living is apparently cheaper in SoE, because I was always broke and needed to grind for money in SoM.  Tongue

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 10:21:23 AM »

It seems like our play styles are drastically different.  Other than Heal, I really haven't been using alchemy at all.  I've found physical attacks to be more than sufficient for taking out enemies, even bosses.  It helps that my dog's level 3 charge attack is doing ~400 damage per hit.

Yeah, my dog is hitting for 500-600+ right now. Talk about an OP companion.  I find that the more you crank up his attack rate, the less you really have to worry about in the game other than healing him. The various collars also raise his defense so much, that most of the damage he takes (except magic) is always -20 HP. Sometimes I have to lower his rate just to be able to level up my weapons.

Spamming alchemy pretty much puts the game into breeze mode, but I'm not going to complain about shorter fights and a quicker finish. Cheesy

I've also had an abundance of money in the game.  Cost of living is apparently cheaper in SoE, because I was always broke and needed to grind for money in SoM.  Tongue

Wait.............. are you telling me that there is something in this game better than SoM?? Ha ha!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2015, 12:57:29 PM »

Pushed through to just past 1 AM last night and struggling heavily today, but here be the fruits.....the fruits mannnn, the fruits!

[img width=700 height=522]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/necrom99/Playthroughs/A53475A5-8789-48A7-A728-ABA65F8F2D5E_zpsregsupeh.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=522]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/necrom99/Playthroughs/3FCB43E6-5FE3-45AC-89C0-7C0C9AD0EAE3_zpsu1odrszg.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=522]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/necrom99/Playthroughs/A125CD8B-ED21-4CFA-B1AD-7C861CF763B4_zpsisllljs4.jpg[/img]

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2015, 07:47:07 AM »

^ That's amazing detail on that screenshot. Parking meters, fire hydrant, sale sign, gutter, street litter, sidewalk cracks, the windows even have different glare and items inside.

Was a lot of the game like this?

What did you guys think of the music and graphics?

I might have to get this game again.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2015, 08:36:34 AM »

Yes, I thought the entire game was very highly detailed. Maybe not always to the extent you see in the picture, but very close. As far as the music goes....well, let's save that for the podcast. Wink

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2015, 11:32:56 AM »

We are recording the Secret of Evermore podcast tonight. Is there anything that any of you would like us to discuss?  We will certainly talk about the music and graphics Jerry. Smiley

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »

Personally, I'm just interested to hear more about the game. I didn't give it a fair shake as a kid because it wasn't Secret of Mana 2. Also, it came out pretty late in the SNES time line and at that time I was probably way more into PlayStation.

I looked at it's Wiki page to see when it was released and I read the Reception part. I don't want it to influence your views, but here it is if you're interested.

Spoiler (hover to show)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length